New 2018 SMP(w) - Page 32
Like Tree825Likes

Thread: New 2018 SMP(w)

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Re: New 2018 SMP(w)

Quote Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
    I like your style!

Whoa!!! That looks great on you!! Congrats on the pick up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieD View Post
    Whoa!!! That looks great on you!! Congrats on the pick up

Thanks! I can’t seem to peel this one off my wrist. Such a comfortable, beautiful watch IMO.
    BufordTJustice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieD View Post

Just out of curiosity, did you buy this on bracelet or just the rubber?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The first time I fell in love with a watch was on November 17, 1995. Goldeneye. The Seamaster Professional. I had never seen anything like it. Leaving the premiere it was the one thing in the movie that felt tangible, attainable. Not long afterwards, I chanced upon the SMP at a local jeweler and was crestfallen when I realized that as a broke college kid, I simply couldn’t afford it.

I was too young to know the difference between mechanical and quartz, or anything else about watches for that matter. The blue bezel, the waves, the way the light danced off of the bracelet—that was darn near all that mattered. Sadly, paying for school, rent and having a little left over to buy cheap beer/booze meant the SMP would have to wait.

A few years later, I caught up with the SMP. She was staring back at me from behind a local jeweler’s window display and called to me like a siren from the deep blue sea. I couldn’t walk away without her- not this time! For over a decade we lived, loved and hit all of life’s key milestones together—marriage, children, travel. Every scratch a memory. Over time the bezel and seconds hands faded, the bracelet wobbled and my eye started wandering. Eventually, I gave her up for another...and another...and another....in, perhaps, the most materialistic of betrayals. The classic, “it’s not you, it’s me” of watches.

I began obsessing over more hot models and forum must-haves than I care to admit—Rolex and Omegas all. I was swept up by movements, ceramics, silicon, power reserves and all things new. I was equally charmed by patina, modest sizing, stamped clasps and all things vintage. My wrist was never alone, but even with all the buying, flipping and collecting, nothing quite felt like my old love, the SMP.

A year ago when Omega showcased the new SMP ‘18 at Basel, I was intrigued but also leery. The pictures all made the watch seem like it was one giant exhibition in design overkill and/or overstatement (much like many of Omega’s recent offerings). However, that all changed when I handled the new SMP for the first time. I was shocked at how different the watch looked in-person. How much it resonated. For all of the technical improvements, I saw signs of refinement and even a little bit of restraint. To me, the watch is far more subtle in person than in pictures. It also feels like a watch that loves what it was, what it used to be, while at the same time being a smartly evolved piece—one that acknowledges what modern owners expect for their $ today.

We’re at the begging of our relationship, but owning and wearing the new SMP for these past months is brining me back to that feeling I had after Goldeneye. I suppose that was Omega’s point—the heavy nostalgia, the Bond connection. It has flat out worked for me. If you’re even a little curious about the new SMP and wonder whether it can capture some of that old magic, go handle one. The fit, finish and overall quality is impressive—and there’s just enough quirky charm sprinkled-in too.

Name:  E78FE6C9-4409-4D63-94E4-AC11F735A9F0.jpeg
Views: 203
Size:  1.98 MB
    Last edited by Bubbas0219; May 16th, 2019 at 03:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbas0219 View Post
    The first time I fell in love with a watch was on November 17, 1995. Goldeneye. The Seamaster Professional. I had never seen anything like it. Leaving the premiere it was the one thing in the movie that felt tangible, attainable. Not long afterwards, I chanced upon the SMP at a local jeweler and was crestfallen when I realized that as a broke college kid, I simply couldn’t afford it.

I was too young to know the difference between mechanical and quartz, or anything else about watches for that matter. The blue bezel, the waves, the way the light danced off of the bracelet—that was darn near all that mattered. Sadly, paying for school, rent and having a little left over to buy cheap beer/booze meant the SMP would have to wait.

A few years later, I caught up with the SMP. She was staring back at me from behind a local jeweler’s window display and called to me like a siren from the deep blue sea. I couldn’t walk away without her- not this time! For over a decade we lived, loved and hit all of life’s key milestones together—marriage, children, travel. Every scratch a memory. Over time the bezel and seconds hands faded, the bracelet wobbled and my eye started wandering. Eventually, I gave her up for another...and another...and another....in, perhaps, the most materialistic of betrayals. The classic, “it’s not you, it’s me” of watches.

I began obsessing over more hot models and forum must-haves than I care to admit—Rolex and Omegas all. I was swept up by movements, ceramics, silicon, power reserves and all things new. I was equally charmed by patina, modest sizing, stamped clasps and all things vintage. My wrist was never alone, but even with all the buying, flipping and collecting, nothing quite felt like my old love, the SMP.

A year ago when Omega showcased the new SMP ‘18 at Basel, I was intrigued but also leery. The pictures all made the watch seem like it was one giant exhibition in design overkill and/or overstatement (much like many of Omega’s recent offerings). However, that all changed when I handled the new SMP for the first time. I was shocked at how different the watch looked in-person. How much it resonated. For all of the technical improvements, I saw signs of refinement and even a little bit of restraint. To me, the watch is far more subtle in person than in pictures. It also feels like a watch that loves what it was, what it used to be, while at the same time being a smartly evolved piece—one that acknowledges what modern owners expect for their $ today.

We’re at the begging of our relationship, but owning and wearing the new SMP for these past months is brining me back to that feeling I had after Goldeneye. I suppose that was Omega’s point—the heavy nostalgia, the Bond connection. It has flat out worked for me. If you’re even a little curious about the new SMP and wonder whether it can capture some of that old magic, go handle one. The fit, finish and overall quality is impressive—and there’s just enough quirky charm sprinkled-in too.

Love it. The Sedna/steel version is my first Omega. I’ve got some game in the Rolex/Tudor arena, but there will be more Omega in the future for me.

I disliked the Sedna/steel bracelet version, but I loved it on rubber. The ratio of price to happiness is favorable for me here. Great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbas0219 View Post

Stunningly well written treatise!

While this is my first Seamaster, we have had similar experiences. It called to me for two decades. And, unlike most opportunities, meeting my hero has been every bit as fulfilling and lovely as i had ever hoped.

boatswain likes this.
    Omega 2018 SMPmc Steel/Black on Bracelet, Seiko SUN045 Kinetic Tuna, Tag Heuer Se/L quartz WG1113-KO, Seiko SHC041 Air Diver.

Has anyone attempted to put one of these on the Aqua Terra Rubber with deployant? I saw a mock up picture, but can't seem to find any threads supporting or denying success

THE COLLECTION:

| OMEGA SEAMASTER PRO SMPw | TUDOR BLACK BAY 41 M79540 | SEIKO SHOGUN SBDC029 |

Quote Originally Posted by chuynh1109 View Post
    Has anyone attempted to put one of these on the Aqua Terra Rubber with deployant? I saw a mock up picture, but can't seem to find any threads supporting or denying success
    I heard it won't work as the holes are in a different place. Confirmed from Rob at Topper Jewelers

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    I heard it won't work as the holes are in a different place. Confirmed from Rob at Topper Jewelers

Ah darn!

Funny thing, I just got my package from Rob not even 30 minutes ago!

THE COLLECTION:

| OMEGA SEAMASTER PRO SMPw | TUDOR BLACK BAY 41 M79540 | SEIKO SHOGUN SBDC029 |

Quote Originally Posted by chuynh1109 View Post
    Ah darn!

Funny thing, I just got my package from Rob not even 30 minutes ago!

Congrats!!!

Regards,

Richard

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread Information