New 2018 SMP(w) - Page 7
Like Tree577Likes

Thread: New 2018 SMP(w)

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Re: New 2018 SMP(w)

Brilliant watch, I have the same one and it was my only source of light on this mornings walk with my dog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BufordTJustice likes this.
    Omega Seamaster 300m Ref 210.30.42.20.01.001
    Oris Aquis "Hulk"
    Citizen Eco Drive Calibre 8700

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaSMPMan View Post
    Brilliant watch, I have the same one and it was my only source of light on this mornings walk with my dog.
    Great lume shot!

This really shows what I was (needlessly) worried about prior to purchase. The hour hand, I feared, was going to look like a lollipop that I would confuse with either the second hand or the hour indices. However, the "spars" really hold up and readability is actually excellent. Though the lume is slightly inferior to my Seiko Kinetic Tuna, readability is just as good (which says a TON for my Omega because the Seiko has huge indices and a matte black dial).

It's in the top tier of attractive tool watches IMHO that are still really, truly tough.

On another note, and having worn many Seiko and Citizen Air Divers since my teens (going all the way back to a Seiko SHC043 quartz diver and even my Citizen Eco Drive AP0614-58H...go easy...I bought them when I was in Middle School/High School with my own money), I have been using dive bezels to time events in my life from football and track/field while in middle and high school to live stage productions to live radio broadcasts to live rock shows. I have used them extensively and, for me, the dive bezel is the best chronograph to actually use. For me. Not an indictment of the std multi-dial chronograph, but I can read a dive bezel at a glance in poor (or zero) lighting for simple timing tasks. My iPhone can time more intricately if required.

In my adult life, I've been fortunate enough to handle many a fine watch. Many vintage and modern Subs, a Blancpain FF, countless Seiko air divers, several Citizen Promaster Divers, several Grand Seiko Divers, Seiko SBBN Tuna, many Tudors, a few Sea Dwellers, Many Tag Heuers, etc. While it may be possible that the finer nuances of bezel action are lost on my uses, here are what have become my main irritations with dive bezels in order of most aggravating to least:

1) The bezel moves when I do not want it to move
    2) I have difficulty reading the bezel
    3) The bezel doesn't move when I want it to move
    27) The nezel action has too much play it

Now, nobody enjoys using a garbage bezel, and I've owned a few. The caveat to #27 is that precision needs to be adequate to set precisely to a single minute without delay or fiddling required (i.e. if I have to spin the bezel a full turn to "get it right"). However, I find that, in general terms, #1 and #3 tend to be inversely proportional. I've worn a few Citizen Promasters that were very easy to turn like the Rolex sub (minus that ultra-refined tick-over as each ratchet notch engages). And, unfortunately, they were very easy to turn like Rolex Submariners....they often got inadvertently adjusted as I climbed a scaffold (wearing a full safety harness) to a Camera emplacement for a live concert, or brushed against another worker in a dark soundbooth, etc, etc. With some minor test drives of a friend's subs, and other people's subs, the bezels move too easily for me to be able to use them. This isn't a put down of Rolex. Far from it. However, it does speak to the situations where most Seamasters will find themselves, which is when people are NOT wearing neoprene diving gloves. My Seamaster moves easily and deliberately when I want it to and doesn't when I don't.

So, for my use case, ease of manipulation is not my first priority in a dive bezel. I've got strong hands/fingers and have had little issue breaking my Seiko bezels free from dried salt accumulation. What I can't have is a missed time interval when I'm doing my job. So, with consideration given for the ultra-fine bezel action of the Subs I've felt, the Omega's bezel shape and action work better for me. And the feel isn't far off from the Rolex; I had difficulty drawing a distinction between the feel of the two, so close was the precise feel.

Also, I've heard, read and seen many comments and opinions on the interwebz, YouTube, and social media about bezel feel and my thoughts are that it is blown out of proportion for watches at this level (Seamster, Sub, Sea Dweller, Pelagos, etc). A watch is a tool to tell time and, for me, to time events. If that tool doesn't work, it doesn't matter how good the feel is, to me. And prominent dive bezels, with projected/unprotected crenelations and little resistance to rotation just don't function properly for everybody...and that must be okay.

I've received some verbal backlash by a few folks in the past few weeks as if they were attempting to take the new Seamaster down a notch (by Rolex owners in all cases) and I'm simply unwilling to relent on my stance that this point of difference between the Seamaster and the Sub is a point of personal preference and design choice by the two master watch manufacturers and not an indication of "quality" or a lack thereof.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Deuce is all tuckered out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1165dvd and achilles like this.
    Omega 2018 SMPmc Steel/Black on Bracelet, Seiko SUN045 Kinetic Tuna, Tag Heuer Se/L quartz WG1113-KO, Seiko SHC041 Air Diver.

[QUOTE=BufordTJustice;47970433]Deuce is all tuckered out.

Try out that new clasp extension. That SMP looks TIGHT.
    mdrtoronto likes this.
    Dave

[QUOTE=BufordTJustice;47970433]Deuce is all tuckered out.

Dave

[QUOTE=1165dvd;47974583]
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Deuce is all tuckered out.

Oh it's actually not tight at all. I was just cocking my wrist inward really hard. Basically full lock.

1165dvd likes this.
    Omega 2018 SMPmc Steel/Black on Bracelet, Seiko SUN045 Kinetic Tuna, Tag Heuer Se/L quartz WG1113-KO, Seiko SHC041 Air Diver.

I've been eyeing the new Seamaster, and the great pics here prompted me to try it on. Fit very nice, smaller than I expected. All around good looking, and probably the most well featured diver on the market currently.

I really dig the update, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's a vibrant update. I really wish they had stayed at 41mm or even less, arrive 39-40. I have a small wrist and they just feel a little too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
    I've been eyeing the new Seamaster, and the great pics here prompted me to try it on. Fit very nice, smaller than I expected. All around good looking, and probably the most well featured diver on the market currently.
    As most are want to do, I read A TON about it before actually being able to see it in person. One of my best buddies (who really cemented my love for bond and later Seamasters) owns a 50th anniversary GMT. (2254-ish IIRC; still getting acquainted with the model numbers). So his is technically 41mm and mine is 42. His is about 12mm tall and mine is over 13mm (somebody please correct me if these figures are off).

However, the case diameter was basically impossible to tell apart. The lugs on mine are longer, but his projected "fang" type end links (both on the stereotypical bracelet) made the watches sit and wear THE SAME on wrist. For him and for me. We traded Seamasters for about half an hour and, no joke, we almost forgot to trade back. Which would not have been horrible because I trust him with my life and his 50th GMT is minty.

I could take or leave the new style of HEV. However, I do love that it's there. It's distinctive. In the same way that the silhouette of my 911 is. And I like that. It's far from flashy and it's TECHNICALLY a functional feature.

But, on wrist, if I didn't constantly look at it, I would forget that it's there. I don't wear watches to sleep or in the shower. Ever. Been wearing watches since i was a young teenager. But it's happened a few times each with this thing. Such is the comfort on wrist.

Oh, and my 90+lb German Shepard's leash/buckle/collar hasn't done Jack to the watch. A couple small hairline scuffs from desk diving in the lab, but nothing major. It's mint from further than 5 inches. I'm very impressed and pleased.

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information