New AT gains time when fast walking - Page 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New AT gains time when fast walking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New AT gains time when fast walking

Quote Originally Posted by jtmo3 View Post
    Well, almost, but not quite!

Went again today and the watch gained 5 seconds in a 30 minute fast walk.I checked the time against NIST before I left and checked again with NIST when I got back. 5 seconds. This is a watch that has gained less than 1 second a day for the past two months. And still keeps great time except when fast walking all the sudden. I guess I relegated to not wearing it when walking or relenting to the fact that it's going to gain time when I walk. 2 of the last 3 days it's gained when I walked.

Am I stuck with my quartz watches or am I going to have to constantly reset the Omega? Kind of disheartening.
    I was just thinking if your the Flash, we can't really blame the watch :-P

In all seriousness; I don't know much about this topic but found this conversation:

https://www.rolexforums.com/archive/.../t-394334.html

Weird, it should slow down.

Name:  39DCAD10-1EE0-4867-AC02-2C51AD98677E.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  170.8 KB

Shouldn’t it slow down if you’re faster than time?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.

if that much gain is a verifiable constant, there's a problem,
    no way around it.
    you could do a marathon and still it wouldn't justify it running out of spec

Quote Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
    I was just thinking if your the Flash, we can't really blame the watch :-P

In all seriousness; I don't know much about this topic but found this conversation:

https://www.rolexforums.com/archive/.../t-394334.html
    Good link. That seems exactly what is happening here. Great timekeeping except when fast walking. I kind of agree that a $5500 watch should be able to handle a fast walk without gaining excess time in a 30 minute period. Kind of disappointing.

This is a common occurrence on all mechanical watches. When your arm swings at just the right rate to overlap in frequency with the balance rate the watch will gain time. Bascily what happens is when the random swing of your arm just happens to align with the opposite direction of the balance rotation then the balance amplitude is momentarily cut minutely short, and the watch gains a split second. From a single swing of your arm it will never be enough to be measurable but over 30 mins of arm swings the effects accumulate into something meaningful.

The best analogy I can give is imagine waves on an ocean. They are all random but occasionally 2 waves line up just right so that they are added together and become one larger wave, or a wave and a trough meet up and the wave is cancelled.

This phenomenon can happen running, scrubbing dishes, swimming, etc. Usually the effect doesn’t add up to much but when you engage in one of these activities for 15, 30, or more minutes it becomes enough for the change in the rate of the watch to be noticed.

The most common occurrence for this rate change I have heard is when runners wear their mechanical watch jogging. Fast walking not as much but it certainly can happen.

I’m sure if you google “mechanical watch gains time when I run” there are tons of threads about it you can read that will offer a better explanation than my simpleton one.
    Last edited by Biginboca; 4 Days Ago at 12:00.

Previous posters is bang on....

Can’t believe nobody posted this explanation yet:

https://youtu.be/F3UGk9QhoIw

Watches in profile....

Quote Originally Posted by jtmo3 View Post
    Got a fairly new (couple months old) aqua terra 8900. It's been keeping great time. Just over .5 seconds a day gain. Until today. It was less than 2 seconds fast since I set it saturday for daylight saving ending. I actually checked it this morning from the nist site. I went walking (fast walking, getting old sucks!) and for some reason, checked it against my work computer and it was fast. So I compared it to NIST again and it had gained about 8 seconds in that 30 minute walk.

Has anyone else noticed this on their omega. I haven't. I had a seiko do this before, but never an omega. Other than that, this watch has been great and kept super time.
    you're not riding a bike or anything to cause tons of frequent vibrations or anythign are you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information