Is the new Seamaster Pro your GADA watch? - Page 2
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Is the new Seamaster Pro your GADA watch?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Is the new Seamaster Pro your GADA watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Msiekierski View Post
    Higgsy,
    Donít you have 114060? Thatís pretty much a poster child for GADA. Iím with you though...I baby mine too, for heavy abuse itís G-Shock all the way.
    I do indeed. However, although I wear it often, I'd never wear it whilst doing DIY, working on the car etc.
    My small collection of 'looked after' watches.
    I wear a G-Shock for on those occasions where some damage may be inflicted on my watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

To save everyone time and worry, the GADA watch doesnt exist. Trust me on this. Ive tried so many times but the process is usually a weird exercise in justifying a new watch. I dont have lots of money to splash around so try and be "practical" with my watch buying, ignoring the fact that to be practical I can buy a £50 casio and it will last forever and I would free up a lot of money in the process. The GADA process tends to go along the lines of spotting a watch that I love but cant afford. Realising I can easily fund it with a shuffle/flip on one of my current watches with a cash top up, buying said watch, loving it, accepting its great for GADA use. A few weeks later I may be invited to a party/wedding etc then feel I need to wear something different than my every day watch. Then I start looking for an occasional watch for such events and either "settle" for a cheaper dress watch that I know I will only wear once or hunt down a dress (dressier) watch that wont be "wasted on occasional use". Then we're at 2 watches. Its then easy to spot a bargain in a jewellers window that would be a perfect beater which would protect the original GADA watch on occasions that you might need a tough but high quality watch. Then you're at 3. When you have an expensive high quality watch, a good beater and a dress watch its very easy to fit watches in between that collection ie a dive watch with a rubber strap for summer months, a chrono for all those timing occasions (that dont exist) and before you know it, 2 years have gone by and the newer model of your original GADA watch has been released. THEN youre in trouble. Especially if it looks anything like any of the others in your collection.

Very true!!! Realistically I can see going down to 5... I’m my minimalist dreams down to 3... but 1??? Good luck LOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Could never do one watch, but of the watches I own, my 2264 comes pretty close to a GADA watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by mattcantwin; 2 Weeks Ago at 22:10.
    1165dvd likes this.

I don't think any watch enthusiast will ever be able to just have one watch. Perhaps those who have had the chance to experience many watches to the point of satiety will be able to narrow down to a single watch. For me, the SMP qualifies as a very versatile watch. A watch that I would wear everyday...until I save up enough for a second, third, forth watch. :) However, I would not wear it to a black tie event or when I'm working on my car.
    1165dvd likes this.

Yes. This is the only watch I have been using since I bought it. Used and abused, I don't babysit watches.

Enviado desde mi Pixel 2 mediante Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelTP View Post
    Yes. This is the only watch I have been using since I bought it. Used and abused, I don't babysit watches.

Enviado desde mi Pixel 2 mediante Tapatalk
    Manuel,

I have the same variant. Like you, I find that the more I wear it, the less concerned I am with dings on the case and marks on the clasp. I don't beat it to hell, but I'm not afraid to wear it to softball practice with my daughter or for a swim in the Atlantic. I take this as somewhat of a sign.

With my previous Tudors and Omegas (high-end in my world), I was very aware of not marking them up, which made them harder to flip. I can say with some level of certainty that I intend to keep my SMP for the long haul.

Wish it looked better on leather strap, which is one of the few reasons I'm considering a second watch, but that is a minor issue. BTW: just heard from my AD that the rubber strap I ordered in EARLY APRIL will not be getting to me until September. As noted by others, the rubber pieces are in, but the buckle is on backorder. I'm trying to hold off on any other purchase until I see how I like it on the rubber.
    Last edited by 1165dvd; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:09.
    ManuelTP likes this.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mattcantwin View Post
    Could never do one watch, but of the watches I own, my 2264 comes pretty close to a GADA watch.
    If only they could wedge the 8800 movement into your 2264, I think they might break Omega's website.
    Dave

No, it’s definitely not.

1. It’s too thick. That coaxial movement just ruins them due to the thickness required. The older models with their thinner profile are far more practical from not catching on your cuffs to less chance of knocking around out in the wild.

2. The old ETA movement was perfectly reliable and accurate while being far cheaper to maintain and repair. This relates to the later point 4.

3. If were being honest, for a GADA you really can’t beat a G-Shock. The notion of being able to go anywhere and do anything really means that automatics and expensive watches are silly choices. I would assume when someone thinks of going anywhere and doing anything it’s not desk diving all day before putting on a tux for a night out in their mind. Personally I alternate between a Rolex Explorer II 16570 with plenty of scars, a Brietling Colt quartz on a nato strap, Omega Seamaster Professional 2265 on rubber strap and a G Shock depending on what I’m expecting work will throw at me that day. My work is frequently outdoors and the watch I wear will be a tool watch in purpose and use.

4. If you are going to be like most of us and wear an expenisive watch as a beater regardless, then better off buying a used one such as one of the older models that are a fraction of the price but achieve the same look and brand recognition.

Really this whole notion of one perfect watch or GADA watch, etc. really is completely dependent on your life style and activity levels. What one person considers to be extreme and pushing boundaries can be merely a warm up for someone else.
    Last edited by twr7cx; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:48.
    DolleDolf likes this.

I like different watches for different reasons/ocassions so i'll probably never have only one watch.
    Gone but not forgotten :
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Squale 1521
    Longines Hydroconquest
    Damasko DA34
    Tudor Hydronaut
    Seiko 6309 7040
    Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 CV2011
    Seiko sbdc051 jdm
    Hamilton Khaki Aviation Pilot 46mm
    Stowa Flieger TO2
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay Red