New SMP300M or previous SMPc ?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New SMP300M or previous SMPc ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New SMP300M or previous SMPc ?

I am considering getting one of these to replace the 2599.80 that I may have to hand back to my wife (long story…)

The thing is that I’m a bit torn, being that both models are still available new from ADs.

I like the new 2018 SMP, it is a striking watch. However I sometimes get the feeling hat it might be too much so… I’m afraid that the new dial and hand design might be a bit too much, and start looking cartoonish to me after the honeymoon is over. And that HEV.... why did they have to make it so outstanding...

I appreciate the advantages of the new generation of movements, but I already have a SM300MC to somewhat quench that thirst.

I find that I like some design aspects of the older SMPc better: It’s significantly thinner, and the HEV is a lot less obvious. Besides the 2500 is a well proven movement with its 2892 legacy.

So what are your thoughts ? Any fans of the previous SMPc over the new one out there ?
    fskywalker likes this.

Re: New SMP300M or previous SMPc ?

I bought mine a few years ago, so before the 8800 was an option, but if I had to make the choice again today, I would still get the SMPc black.

It was the one understated diver in Omega's collection (maybe also the SM300MC) and I really liked that about it. The 8800 is very in your face I feel. Not that I consider that a bad thing necessarily (the Ploprof is my grail after all), I just have a specific look I associate with the SPM and the 8800 is a departure from that.

Some old photos..

fskywalker and Asphaltman like this.
    Removing the Sent from my xPhone using Tapatalk spam from your signature is really easy. Please take a moment to do it.
    ---

The 2018 by far. Why? Ceramic dial, 8800 movement & very aggressive styling. IMO it's a better watch. But to each their own. Buy and wear what you like in good health. Cheers!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Keep in mind the new watch is also slightly bigger. Personally I prefer the older wave dials and between the two you mention prefer the non-wave smooth SMPc dial over the newest version which I find excessive.

mav

The wavy ceramic dial of the 2018 is a home run IMO.
    MichaelMaggi likes this.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | IWC | Zenith | Tudor | Seiko
    @aguynamedtommy

Thanks for your opinion.

I've had both side by side at an AD and the fact that it's bigger I didn't notice as much as its thickness.

I tend to agree with your assessment of the dial. Sometimes I find it amazing, other times just a little too much. It goes from striking to too loud...

Still thinking... I may need to go and see both in the metal again.
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lo_scrivano View Post
    Keep in mind the new watch is also slightly bigger. Personally I prefer the older wave dials and between the two you mention prefer the non-wave smooth SMPc dial over the newest version which I find excessive.
    Thanks for your opinions...

I've had both side by side at an AD and the fact that it's bigger I didn't notice as much as its thickness.

I tend to agree with your assessment of the dial. Sometimes I find it amazing, other times just a little too much. It goes from striking to too loud...

Still thinking... I may need to go and see both in the metal again

Try both on, see which you prefer more.

Both are solid watches, but the 2018 SMP is a huge release by Omega.

I had a similar dilemma and ultimately opted for the 8800.

If I had the $$$, the 2018 would be in my stable already. Gorgeous dial, gorgeous watch. That's a dial you see on an Audemars Piguet and other watches in that category. That's not a $4k-$5k dial watch.

Not sure if this will help you, probably not! I recently bought a black PO 8900 43.5mm and also bought a black SMPc for the 2nd time (sold the same one a few years back as I needed a cash injection for a house deposit).

I'm currently finding the proportions, comfort and slightly less "blingy" style of the SMPc preferable over the PO... So much so I'm considering selling the PO but will keep it for a while to see if my early thoughts change.

I had a pretty close look at the new SMP300 when I was buying the PO (although admittedly didn't try it on, as I had my heart set on the PO having never had one before). To my eye, they are noticeably bigger than the SMPc, and more blingy... Not a million miles away from the PO really.

I've had most of the mainstream SMP's over the years, pretty much all of the standard wavy dials including both a blue and black chronograph models, which I loved at the time. So maybe I'm a sucker for SMP's, and haven't warmed to the PO perhaps. I feel as though the new SMP's are very close in terms of size and technology to the PO's. I think I prefer the SMPc over the PO 8900 and the new SMP.

Go with the SMPc! So versatile and wearable! The only thing I will say about the new SMP is I think the dial is more legible in every type of light than the SMPc and current PO. I find in very bright daylight the dials on the SMPc and PO seem to not look as good or as legible as they do in most other types of light. But that's just my opinion.
    Pietros, fskywalker and hchj like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information