Newbie wanting to buy a vintage Seamaster

Thread: Newbie wanting to buy a vintage Seamaster

Newbie wanting to buy a vintage Seamaster

Hello,

New member, looking to purchase a vintage Seamaster from the late '50's. I have perused the online pages of Darlor Vintage Wrist Watches, Quality Vintage Timepieces and Tim Mackrain. They all seem like reputable vendors and have a nice selection of watches that I like. I will only consider recently serviced watches in working order. For the going rate of $800-$1100, is there anything I should avoid? Any thing that I should require? Is it a mistake to purchase a watch with a refinished dial and new hands? Or should I stay with only original dials and hands?

Any advice is most welcome.

Thank you,

Jim

Re: Newbie wanting to buy a vintage Seamaster

I'd stay away from refinished dials. There are just too many original pieces available for still reasonable prices. Why limit yourself to the late 50s? There are even better pieces available from the early 60s.

I AM A WATCHAHOLIC

Depends what you want in a vintage watch, I like original dials but can understand someone who wants a clean looking piece but the redial would have to be the best you find too many sloppy redials out there. Like Mike said 60s did some great pieces, and to me anyone wanting a dressier watch I would always go vintage. If you see a black dial always be suspicious and do your research. Always ask for movement shots this can tell you a lot about the life of the piece, can look all pretty on the outside but may be a dog on the inside.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've exchange over 30 emails with Sao at Quality vintage Timepieces. Not because I had over 30 questions but because he is very friendly and dedicated to his work (I think the pictures on his website can testify of that as well)
    He is very knowledgeable and will work with you find the perfect watch for you.
    In the spirit of "all good threads require pics", and even though it's not a seamaster, here's the one I've purchased from him :

Quote Originally Posted by JP95993 View Post
    Hello,

New member, looking to purchase a vintage Seamaster from the late '50's. I have perused the online pages of Darlor Vintage Wrist Watches, Quality Vintage Timepieces and Tim Mackrain. They all seem like reputable vendors and have a nice selection of watches that I like. I will only consider recently serviced watches in working order. For the going rate of $800-$1100, is there anything I should avoid? Any thing that I should require? Is it a mistake to purchase a watch with a refinished dial and new hands? Or should I stay with only original dials and hands?

Any advice is most welcome.

Thank you,

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by jackie moon; June 8th, 2014 at 01:02.

I'd stay away from refinished dials. There are just too many original pieces available for still reasonable prices. Why limit yourself to the late 50s? There are even better pieces available from the early 60s.
    +1
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I've bought a watch from Sao at QVT, and besides being clear in his emails, he at least openly discloses on his website when dials are redialled / refinished. Not everyone does that, or sometimes others use vague terms like 'original'.

Check out the sales forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GaryF; June 8th, 2014 at 08:04.
    Current Collection
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Day Date Auto - Black H32505731
    Tissot Visodate White/Silver - T019.430.16.031.01
    Bulova Moonwatch
    Seiko SNKN01

Seiko 5 Automatic SNK807

Former Collection
    Omega SMP 2551.80 (sold)
    Alpina Extreme Diver AL-240LBO3V6 (sold)

"Time nor tide wait for no man"

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for you advice and recommendations. I just purchased a 1963 Omega with a restored dial.

Jim

Thread Information