Odd issue with an Omega Speedmaster Reduced

Thread: Odd issue with an Omega Speedmaster Reduced

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Odd issue with an Omega Speedmaster Reduced

This could probably just as well go in the main forums but I thought I'd start here.

I recently purchased a Speedmaster Reduced, the serial number dates it to 1998-2000. I've reset the watch twice now after noticing that the minute hand does not line up with the hours/minute markers exactly at the top of the minute.

Anticipating some of your questions:

1. I've lined the minute hand to the marker about as close as humanly possible, so it's not something I'm doing wrong as far as I can tell. The minute hand is not jumping when I restart.
    2. It's not a problem that gets progressively worse. The hand lines up to the marker at about 15 seconds after the top of the minute every time.
    3. This issue kicks in immediately after reset. Unless I'm imagining something (don't think so), it looks like the minute hand does not move for that first 15 seconds of the minute after reset.
    4. The watch is keeping nearly perfect time otherwise. It loses less than 1 second a day. (Side note: when I first got the watch I was winding it and that turned out to cause the watch to lose as much as 10/11 seconds a day. Since I stopped winding it - I was probably over-winding - the accuracy is amazing)

One of my ideas that I haven't tested yet, is that the watch wants to be reset at a different position than I've reset it but I don't know if that matters or makes any sense. I also thought that it could be an issue with the alignment of the face but I can't logic that out. It may just need service but the fact that it's so accurate seems to dispel that theory.

The issue is a minor annoyance only. The face of the watch is small so I really don't notice it if I'm not thinking about it. But it is a puzzle I'd love to solve if possible.

Here are two photos showing the issue...

Minute hand position at the top of the minute:
    Name:  IMG_4871.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  931.7 KB

Minute hand position at 15 seconds after the top:

Name:  IMG_4872.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  1.35 MB

Re: Odd issue with an Omega Speedmaster Reduced

First of all, im no expert on this watch at all so I may be completely wrong but I almost purchased one of these a few years ago and ran it past my local AD who know me well and they said theyre great watches but they do have what he described as a weakness in the chrono module. Again, I may be wrong and it may not be this specific model but he mentioned something about a plastic wheel, washer, pin. It was a plastic something. He said if they get one in for repairs they almost guarantee its that part thats responsible. The good news is its easy to remedy but a service would be the best way to go. Hope this helps in some way. Best of luck resolving it.

Thanks. Yeah, I've read about the weakness to the chrono module and was thinking that could contribute. I'll more than likely wait for service since it's running fine otherwise. But thanks for the reply.

I sort of thought that many of the people reading this just read my post (if they got through it all!) and figured that it's user error! :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Speedmaster Reduced Owner/Wearer here.

I have not noticed that problem on my watch, but I will take a look and see if mine does what yours does.

I agree with you that it is pretty minor and glad you still enjoy the watch. I sure like mine.

The one problem I get with mine is that the start/stop button sometimes (10-20% of the time) sticks in the "pressed" position. Doesn't effect the start or stop, and just requires a little tug to get it back out to regular position. Not the end of the world, just an inconvenience when I am timing my 4-year old's laps around the house!

Quote Originally Posted by mafrumento View Post
    I recently purchased a Speedmaster Reduced, the serial number dates it to 1998-2000. I've reset the watch twice now after noticing that the minute hand does not line up with the hours/minute markers exactly at the top of the minute.
    Try setting the hands to their final location the opposite way to what you are now. So if you are currently moving the minute hand forwards to the exact minute when you are setting the time, instead move the minute hand past the minute mark you want to set to, and back up to it, then press the crown in.

Cheers, Al

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Try setting the hands to their final location the opposite way to what you are now. So if you are currently moving the minute hand forwards to the exact minute when you are setting the time, instead move the minute hand past the minute mark you want to set to, and back up to it, then press the crown in.

Cheers, Al
    Thanks. I'll try tonight.

Tried the above technique (thanks Archer) and tried setting at several different positions as well. The minute hand just doesn't move for the first 20 seconds. Doesn't matter if I set it at the 60 position, the 30 or anywhere and doesn't matter where on the dial I reset. Since the issue is so consistent, though not exactly the same offset every time, I was able to set the minute hand a slightly ahead and now it nearly lines up as the watch runs.

Gonna assume this has to do with the chrono module and will probably just get it serviced at some point. But it's close enough for my eyes right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mafrumento View Post
    Tried the above technique (thanks Archer) and tried setting at several different positions as well. The minute hand just doesn't move for the first 20 seconds. Doesn't matter if I set it at the 60 position, the 30 or anywhere and doesn't matter where on the dial I reset. Since the issue is so consistent, though not exactly the same offset every time, I was able to set the minute hand a slightly ahead and now it nearly lines up as the watch runs.

Gonna assume this has to do with the chrono module and will probably just get it serviced at some point. But it's close enough for my eyes right now.
    Was the way you tried opposite to what you did previously?

The module on these tend to have a fair bit of backlash, so this sort of issue is not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Was the way you tried opposite to what you did previously?

The module on these tend to have a fair bit of backlash, so this sort of issue is not uncommon.
    Yes, I tried the opposite way as suggested. Tried it a few times actually.

heb

It is called "minute hand rotational eccentricity". Typically only found in mechanical chronograph watches and especially chronographs with modular movements like yours. I don't know what causes it or why on only chronograph watches. You, or anyone else, can not remove the eccentricity. The only thing you can do to somewhat mitigate its effects is to "halve" the total amount of eccentricity by trial and error when setting the minute hand.

heb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information