OG Seamaster? - Page 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: OG Seamaster?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: OG Seamaster?

What signs make you think it has not been serviced? You'll have to excuse my ignorance.

I like the watch. But if I'm doing that bad and still have to have tons of work done to it I'm less interested. Haha I've asked the seller for a return but if it's going to cost me money I'm not going to.

Hello. The case is the 2494 (center seconds) also sometimes seen with small seconds, marked 2493.
    The movement is clearly a 30.10 RA PC caliber, the first bumper type from the late 40s. You can tell by the exposed early type bumper springs and the relieved tombstone shape where a case spring would be attached. I dont think the dial/movement/case combo is the way this came from the factory.
    Nice watch, however. Love the 36mm stainless case.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Okay thank you for your input! What do you think about the regulator adjustment? I never seem to see them turned out like that.

The regulator is definitely way off. Is the watch keeping time? Someone was trying to adjust it, most likely needs a service. Hopefully they did not damage the hairspring trying to (R)etard the pointer.
    A dirty sticking hairspring can cause the watch to speed up. Also, this could be due to the watch being magnetized.
    A watchmaker can fix all that. Get a new mainspring also, as part of the service.

Okay, thank you

I am not sure. It is advertised to be keeping time but I do not have it in my possession yet.

As someone who loves these vintage Omegas, and am trying to educate myself as well.

In addition to other things mentioned, is the "Omega Watch Co SWISS" really shaky, as in not crisp enough?

Just wondering...

How is the watch when you wind it , set the hands does it feel nice and smooth/ easy ? Does the watch keep time ? If you have a quartz watch , let the Omega wind down so its no longer working , you may have to pick it up every now and then ,do this gently as you dont want to auto wind the watch , also just move the hands around the dial . The reason being there is always some power left in the mainspring so you need to let this run down fully until it no longer works . Now get your quartz and wait until the seconds hand is 1/2 seconds before the position of your seconds hand on your seamaster , start winding your Omega give it 20 or so turns on the crown .You need to match the seconds hand on both watches.

Now you need to monitor your Seamaster over 1 hour say, is it exactly the same seconds time as the quartz ? If not how much time is it losing or gaining ? a few seconds would be fine but 20 or 30 and it needs work. This is a good solution/ simple test if you dont have a Timeagraph or timeagraph app , although these are far more accurate.

My guess is the watch has been regulated to keep time But because of the position of the regulator ,advanced so much this shows that the watchmaker who did it, would not have serviced the movement. The regulator arm should be roughly in the middle of a fully sorted and serviced watch. This could also indicate badly worn parts inside the movement.
    All of this is not a major drama and can be sorted , this is part of owning a vintage watch .

I will do that. It has not come in yet. Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information