Old Aqua Terra 8500 vs Newer 8800 - Page 2

Poll: Which one would you get?

Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Old Aqua Terra 8500 vs Newer 8800

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Old Aqua Terra 8500 vs Newer 8800

I own a Skyfall and can attest it is a stunning watch. The blue variant is nicer, IMO, than the current blue.

If choosing another color, I would select the new model on rubber strap (personally love the black version). But if blue, there is only one ... the Skyfall.

See for yourself, here is a 4K vid of mine:

https://youtu.be/ksezQF91dOg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be ideal to find a transitional 8500 "master co-axial" with anti-magnetic properties if you prefer the vertcal teak concept/3 o'clock date window. For your color preference, the reference is 231.10.42.21.03.003.

This is mine. It's a great piece.

Last edited by JoeC; 1 Week Ago at 18:49.
    Omega Aqua Terra Master Co-Axial 8500 - Omega 300M Master Chronometer - Seiko "Samurai" SRPC93

Quote Originally Posted by hedet View Post
    Owned both for a while, slightly preferred the 8800 because I really like the rubber straps on the newer models. I do prefer the shade of blue on the 8500 to the 8800 tho. Ultimately ended up selling both. So for blue Iíd take the 8500, but for other colors I prefer the 8800
    I came to the exact same conclusion.

Curious, why did you sell and what did you purchase as replacement?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

prefer the newer for the more symmetrical case and date window. The blue is stunning,.

Close call.

On the older model, I prefer the crown and case symmetry. On the new model, I really like the date at 6:00. I am agnostic between horizontal or vertical lines.

I'd make the choice based on preference between jumping hour hand vs. quickset date. Accordingly, I voted 8500. (I have an AT8500, though, so maybe I'm biased.)

Quote Originally Posted by Radharc View Post
    Close call.

On the older model, I prefer the crown and case symmetry. On the new model, I really like the date at 6:00. I am agnostic between horizontal or vertical lines.

I'd make the choice based on preference between jumping hour hand vs. quickset date. Accordingly, I voted 8500. (I have an AT8500, though, so maybe I'm biased.)
    I think I like the 8500 with a bracelet, but I like the 8800 with the Blue Rubber...

I also prefer the quick change date to the quick hour especially if you have some watches in rotation.
    The 8800 has it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by whatclay View Post
    I came to the exact same conclusion.

Curious, why did you sell and what did you purchase as replacement?
    I just decided I preferred the PO to the AT.

Sponsor Timeless Luxury Watches's Avatar

The 8800 is still a great movement, but there are two things to keep in mind about it: First, it doesn't have an independent hour hand, and second, it has "only" one mainspring (like 99% of mechanical movements, so don't consider this to be some massive shortcoming) and 55 hours of reserve rather than 60.

On the other hand, it's got a quickset date, which is very convenient if you rotate watches often and you don't use a watch winder. It can take a while to rotate the hour hand to move 15 days backwards or forwards.

The following is from my review of the new Seamaster Diver 300, which had the 8800 in it. Here's the movement section, which might be helpful.

And finally we arrive at my favorite section, the movement, which turned out to be surprisingly interesting. You, would, of course, anticipate that Omega would use their 8900 movement found in some other Seamasters like the Aqua Terra, as is only natural. But then you, like me, would be wrong, because what weíre looking at is not an 8900, but an 8800.

For instance, if we look closely, we can find only a single barrel for the mainspring, compared to the two barrels found in the 8900. Iíve highlighted it in green for your convenience. This means that the 8800 has a 55 hour power reserve, compared to the 8900ís 60, but thatís a pretty trivial difference, especially when you remember that 55 hours is still a solid 15 more than the vast majority of watches on the market today.

Other elements remain the same, however, like the co-axial escapement and free sprung balance wheel with silicon hairspring. The 8800 is capable of withstanding nearly any magnetic field you could throw at it, and like other Master Co-Axial Omegas, is unique in that it can provide that resistance while maintaining a display back. Itís a very elegant solution to the problem of magnetism. Where most companies try to quarantine their movements from magnets, Omega simply immunizes them at birth.

Likewise, the rather beautiful bridge remains, in theory making the movement a bit more robust than competing designs.

If itís so similar, but with a slightly smaller power reserve, you might be asking why bother using it instead of an 8900? Thatís because itís a substantially more compact movement than the 8900, but perhaps more precisely, because the 8800ís dimensions are pretty close to the old 2500 that it replaces.

The 8800 is just as beautiful as the 8900, being one of the prettiest mass-produced movements on the market, but it does have a couple of other small differences. For one thing, in the 8900, there is no quickset date, which means you have to rotate the hour hand around the dial to change the date. In the 8800, this is much easier, because you can set the date directly from the crown. Conversely, you give up the independent hour hand, making this a bit less travel friendly. Six of one, a half dozen of the other, itís just contingent on which feature youíd prefer to have. For most users, these will be the most important differences between the 8800 and 8900 because I donít expect there to be any appreciable difference in performance.

Get an 8500 and stick the new strap on it!

BOOM!
    PanoMaticLunar + Omega Mark iI + Meister Telemeter + DA36 + Tropik SS + Zelos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information