Omega Aqua Terra or Longines Prima Luna?

Thread: Omega Aqua Terra or Longines Prima Luna?

Omega Aqua Terra or Longines Prima Luna?

Hi,

I was hoping I could get some advice regarding a dilemma I have: I would like to purchase a watch for my wife and I'm torn between the Omega Seamaster and the Longines Prima Luna.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Automatic (old or new model would be OK; they're fairly similar)
    new :http://www.omega.ch/index.php?id=177...001&no_cache=1)
    old: http://www.omega.ch/index.php?id=177...000&no_cache=1

Longines Prima Luna
    http://www.longines.com/watches/long.../L8.111.4.16.6

Aesthetically, I prefer the Longines. The Omega has a better reputation, however, since the Longines costs about 1000EUR less, I don't know what to go for.

Another concern I have pertains basically to the quality of the Longines watch. The movement is an ETA 2000/1 which, according to Timebooth.com, is sensitive to oil dryout. Their suggestion is to perform preventive maintenance every six months! The article can be found here: http://www.timebooth.com/wordpress/2008/06/23/2763.html

I think that a semi-annual maintenance schedule is unacceptable for a mechanical. My 1968 Rolex GMT Master, despite its age, requires maintenance only every 5 years or so.

Should I really expect problems with the Longines or does the article exaggerate any problems?

The Omegas, on the other hand, do not seem to have any problems. I've not been able to find any substantive reviews of the Omega movements, other than the marginal efficiency increase of the coaxial escapement.

For that matter, is the coaxial escapement worth 1000EUR more than the older Seamaster model and 2000EUR more than the Longines?

I know I've rambled a bit, but I would honestly appreciate any help on this subject.

Thanks!

John

Re: Omega Aqua Terra or Longines Prima Luna?

I gave my then-fiancee (now, wife) a Longines Flagship Automatic a few years ago. It is also powered by an ETA 2000-1.

We have had no problems with the movement, which keeps time excellently. It has not been serviced at all in the three years we've owned it. Maybe the Timebooth article is just being overly cautious of what the author perceives is a design flaw.

I think the average woman would prefer the PrimaLuna over the more masculine AquaTerra style. Women who aren't into watches like we're into watches generally don't concern themselves as much with the movements. Some may know the difference between mechanical and quartz, manual-wind and automatic, but generally, they just want something they don't have to fiddle with. (Of course, the same could be said of anyone who's not really into watches and who just wears them to tell time.)

One thing I can say about Longines is that their fit and finish is as good as I've ever seen on any watch. Seriously. Any watch. The cases, the bracelets, the dials are all flawless. The movements have all sorts of perlage and cotes-de-geneve on the rotors, bridges and base plates. It looks far more expensive than it actually is.

Omega is under a bit of prestige pricing, at the moment, so you'll be paying more simply because the Swatch group wants to raise Omega's brand stature. Longines, on the other hand, is considered by a lot of people to be a hidden value in the form of an oft-forgotten brand.
    Panerai | Omega | Cartier | Jörg Schauer | Hamilton | G-Shock | Zenith
    Do you like to have a good time? Then you need a good watch.
    - Robert "Rocky" Balboa

My suggestion is this...

Does she like watches, or does she like jewelry? If she likes watches go for the Omega, if she is more into jewelry, the Longines.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd like to thank you all for your help! It's helped bring things into perspective.

Basically, she doesn't even know what a movement is. For her, style and prestige would be the most important part. (She likes showing off her gifts )

However, my goal is also to get my wife a good swiss watch that she can have for a lifetime, that is why I would prefer an automatic watch. I was looking at these two brands because I thought they would be a good match. I had a concern with the quality of Longines, but Trel put my mind at ease as far as that is concerned.

I think I'll go for the Prima Luna. Thanks again for your help!

A fine choice. Without stereotyping, I find that non-WIS women seem more receptive to the Longines brand. (I think it's because they sponsor sporting events with large female following, like the tennis and gymnastics.)

Even if she doesn't know what a movement is, she'll appreciate being able to see all the springs and gears of the movement, and appreciate the quality inherent.
    Panerai | Omega | Cartier | Jörg Schauer | Hamilton | G-Shock | Zenith
    Do you like to have a good time? Then you need a good watch.
    - Robert "Rocky" Balboa

As has been mentioned before, make sure she's happy with an automatic before buying one, especially if she won't wear it all the time. Odds are, she won't want to set the time each she wears it. Women are funny like that
    Omega SMP 300 Chrono
    Omega 8500 Aqua Terra
    Omega 2500 Orange PO
    Vintage Omega Geneve
    Chopard GT XL
    Bell & Ross BR03-92 Ceramic

Quote Originally Posted by saintsman View Post
    As has been mentioned before, make sure she's happy with an automatic before buying one, especially if she won't wear it all the time. Odds are, she won't want to set the time each she wears it. Women are funny like that
    I know what you mean; I'm planning to give the watch to her with a watch winder...

Thread Information