Omega Cal. 320

Thread: Omega Cal. 320

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Cal. 320

Here's the other watch I picked up today- a Cal. 320.The serial number is 19XXXXXX which would date it to 1962-63. There are no markings on the back. The inside of the caseback states 101.009-63. For those familiar with this watch, does it look above board?

I also wanted to find out about the bracelet. Is this the original bracelet. The markings on the clasp of the bracelet is "Omega 198.0031". I've never encountered these markings before.

Hope to get feedback from anyone familiar with this. Thanks

Land of eternal sunshine (except when it rains)

Re: Omega Cal. 320

Not a lot I can add except that the case and movement are a correct match , as is the time frame. I think the dial is original and so are the hands. At first I was not so sure about the hands but looking at pictures of this model leads me to believe that hands are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jds1017 View Post
    Here's the other watch I picked up today- a Cal. 320.The serial number is 19XXXXXX which would date it to 1962-63. There are no markings on the back. The inside of the caseback states 101.009-63. For those familiar with this watch, does it look above board?

I also wanted to find out about the bracelet. Is this the original bracelet. The markings on the clasp of the bracelet is "Omega 198.0031". I've never encountered these markings before.

Hope to get feedback from anyone familiar with this. Thanks

Check out my collection at:

www.omegacollector.com

Thanks Joe! Would you know if the bracelet is a match as well?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice watch with an uncommon caliber. I agree with Joe that everything appears to be original. I'm afraid I can't help with the bracelet, either. It looks like bracelets that were being used on other models, at the time. I think these were generally supplied on straps, but a few might have come this way, or maybe the dealer swapped it for the original owner. I'm just not sure.

At any rate, I like it. Enjoy!

eric

I will take a look in the "Red" book (omega case parts listings). Probably only be able to get to it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jds1017 View Post
    Thanks Joe! Would you know if the bracelet is a match as well?

www.omegacollector.com

The Alpha hands on the subdials look original. This leads me to believe that the main hands have been replaced, as they should be of the Alpha type also, to respect the style mix of the period.
    I have never seen a metal bracelet on this model except for soldered Milanese in 18 carat gold. Leather strap is the norm.
    Can't find any info on later period Omega 198.0031 bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe K. View Post
    I will take a look in the "Red" book (omega case parts listings). Probably only be able to get to it tomorrow.

Yours looks very similar to this one (hope "hockey" from TZ doesn't mind me posting this link?) except his is gold obviously and it has had the dial done at some time which has resulted in the more detailed tachy info not being included. (unless they had multiple dials ???)

Does yours have the rectangular pushers?

http://omegafan.com/chronograph/20.php

None the less, a very nice old school chrono, collectable, useable and an uncommon calibre as has been mentioned elsehwere

Could be... now that I am looking at the watch again, I think you are right about the match between the hour/minute and subdial hands. However, I would then think that the hour and minute hand on this watch are the originals as they are more in agreement with the hour markers. Perhaps the smaller hands were changed at some point? Here is a picture of a similar watch from the Omega website

and another on eBAY:

Quote Originally Posted by Wytnucls View Post
    The Alpha hands on the subdials look original. This leads me to believe that the main hands have been replaced, as they should be of the Alpha type also, to respect the style mix of the period.
    I have never seen a metal bracelet on this model except for soldered Milanese in 18 carat gold. Leather strap is the norm.
    Can't find any info on later period Omega 198.0031 bracelet.

www.omegacollector.com

Yes Joe, that combination is also possible, except that the subdial hands are quite corroded and fit better with the state of the original dial. I don't see the point of replacing original hands with corroded ones on the subdials.
    Main Alpha hands, with straight subdial hands, are also acceptable on those watches.
    I agree that those straight markers on the dial are normally associated with straight hands and would make the subdials hands the questionable ones.
    According to the Museum pictures, the reference 101.009 mentioned here, is consistent with this dial, but should have five straight hands. That would make the subdial hands non-original.
    Beats me why someone would fit rusting hands on those subdials!!

Who knows.... Maybe and old replacement job with poor quality small hands that have since corroded

In any case - I like this watch and the patina on the dial. Good catch

Quote Originally Posted by Wytnucls View Post
    {cut.....
    Beats me why someone would fit rusting hands on those subdials!!

www.omegacollector.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information