Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member PetrosD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    472

    Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought

    I'm new to the Omega forums and am considering buying my first Omega. I am seeking advice from experienced Omega owners, especially those with POs.

    I have the opportunity to buy a new PO 8500 from a local AD, who is offering 25% off this older 42mm model (picture below is not mine, but does show the model in question). I believe the reference is 232.30.42.21.01.001, but I didn't write it down when I was at the AD.

    My questions, that I hope you can help with, are:

    1. Does anyone know when was the last year this watch would have been made (my research indicates that 2015 would have been the last production year - is that correct)?
    2. Given that this model is several years old (is this considered NOS?), should I already be planning for this to be serviced soon, or can I treat this like any other new watch and service it at an appropriate time in the future?
    3. What is the service interval for a PO and how much does a standard servicing generally cost?
    4. Is 25% a reasonable discount for such an older watch? I would think I could negotiate a 20% discount from an AD on a current model, although perhaps I'm wrong. It seems like this should be discounted at least 30%?
    5. Is the 8900 movement significantly better than the 8500 movement? Should that be a factor in my decision process?
    6. Should I just buy a newer 8900 model from a gray market dealer, which I could get at about the same cost?
    7. Lastly, and perhaps this is a silly question, but since this is being sold new, would the Omega 5 year warranty apply rather than the 2 year warranty in place when it was made (obviously this is a question I can ask the AD)?

    Although this will be the first Omega that I buy, we do have one in the household - the vintage 1950s Omega that my wife inherited from her father. I'm excited to add a new one to my collection.

    Thank you for your responses.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    96

    Re: Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought

    I would service the watch in 7-10 years since it hasn’t really moved much. Service can cost between 400-800 depending if you take it to a reputable independent or directly to Omega.
    I would try to get 30% or more for the 8500.
    8900 is a great movement but it depends on the buyer, you, which watch you should go with.

    Best of luck and it seems like you are very excited with either option!
    PetrosD likes this.

  3. #3
    Member 6R15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    GMT -6
    Posts
    5,859

    Re: Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought

    1. Does anyone know when was the last year this watch would have been made (my research indicates that 2015 would have been the last production year - is that correct)?
    2016 is the last year until the new POs appeared in Fall

    2. Given that this model is several years old (is this considered NOS?), should I already be planning for this to be serviced soon, or can I treat this like any other new watch and service it at an appropriate time in the future?
    Yes, considered NOS. No, servicing is not necessary unless you're getting horrible timekeeping

    3. What is the service interval for a PO and how much does a standard servicing generally cost?
    They say 4 years, but you can go longer than that. Typically around $600 from Omega (it's like $590ish).

    4. Is 25% a reasonable discount for such an older watch? I would think I could negotiate a 20% discount from an AD on a current model, although perhaps I'm wrong. It seems like this should be discounted at least 30%?
    25% is reasonable, but doesn't hurt to try for 30%. The worst that can happen is that they say no, point at you, laugh, and insult your ancestry.

    5. Is the 8900 movement significantly better than the 8500 movement? Should that be a factor in my decision process?
    No, pretty much the same thing except now METAS certified instead of COSC only

    6. Should I just buy a newer 8900 model from a gray market dealer, which I could get at about the same cost?
    That depends on how you feel about glossy dials and the larger 43.5mm size

    7. Lastly, and perhaps this is a silly question, but since this is being sold new, would the Omega 5 year warranty apply rather than the 2 year warranty in place when it was made (obviously this is a question I can ask the AD)?
    Yes, it will be 5 years unless they dated the warranty card for some reason from a long time ago.
    PetrosD and Londonboy like this.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    110

    Re: Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by PetrosD View Post
    I'm new to the Omega forums and am considering buying my first Omega. I am seeking advice from experienced Omega owners, especially those with POs.

    I have the opportunity to buy a new PO 8500 from a local AD, who is offering 25% off this older 42mm model (picture below is not mine, but does show the model in question). I believe the reference is 232.30.42.21.01.001, but I didn't write it down when I was at the AD.

    My questions, that I hope you can help with, are:

    1. Does anyone know when was the last year this watch would have been made (my research indicates that 2015 would have been the last production year - is that correct)?
    2. Given that this model is several years old (is this considered NOS?), should I already be planning for this to be serviced soon, or can I treat this like any other new watch and service it at an appropriate time in the future?
    3. What is the service interval for a PO and how much does a standard servicing generally cost?
    4. Is 25% a reasonable discount for such an older watch? I would think I could negotiate a 20% discount from an AD on a current model, although perhaps I'm wrong. It seems like this should be discounted at least 30%?
    5. Is the 8900 movement significantly better than the 8500 movement? Should that be a factor in my decision process?
    6. Should I just buy a newer 8900 model from a gray market dealer, which I could get at about the same cost?
    7. Lastly, and perhaps this is a silly question, but since this is being sold new, would the Omega 5 year warranty apply rather than the 2 year warranty in place when it was made (obviously this is a question I can ask the AD)?

    Although this will be the first Omega that I buy, we do have one in the household - the vintage 1950s Omega that my wife inherited from her father. I'm excited to add a new one to my collection.

    Thank you for your responses.
    If everything being equal, aesthetically which do you prefer?
    PetrosD likes this.

  6. #5
    Member PetrosD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    472

    Re: Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Palettj View Post
    If everything being equal, aesthetically which do you prefer?
    I think my preference is the 41.5 mm size of the 8500. I have a 7.75-8" wrist and can certainly pull off the 43.5mm of the 8900 movement references. But my preferred size for a diver is 40-42 so the 8500 is a great size (even though it is a bit thicker than I'd like).

    It's interesting...I see many people ask questions like what should I do, or which I should buy, and I never quite understood why they asked those questions. Now I realize that when people ask those questions, they probably already know the answers themselves. The asking and the answers help provide clarity over that which they already knew but couldn't see clearly.

  7. #6
    Member PetrosD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    472

    Re: Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
    1. Does anyone know when was the last year this watch would have been made (my research indicates that 2015 would have been the last production year - is that correct)?
    2016 is the last year until the new POs appeared in Fall

    2. Given that this model is several years old (is this considered NOS?), should I already be planning for this to be serviced soon, or can I treat this like any other new watch and service it at an appropriate time in the future?
    Yes, considered NOS. No, servicing is not necessary unless you're getting horrible timekeeping

    3. What is the service interval for a PO and how much does a standard servicing generally cost?
    They say 4 years, but you can go longer than that. Typically around $600 from Omega (it's like $590ish).

    4. Is 25% a reasonable discount for such an older watch? I would think I could negotiate a 20% discount from an AD on a current model, although perhaps I'm wrong. It seems like this should be discounted at least 30%?
    25% is reasonable, but doesn't hurt to try for 30%. The worst that can happen is that they say no, point at you, laugh, and insult your ancestry.

    5. Is the 8900 movement significantly better than the 8500 movement? Should that be a factor in my decision process?
    No, pretty much the same thing except now METAS certified instead of COSC only

    6. Should I just buy a newer 8900 model from a gray market dealer, which I could get at about the same cost?
    That depends on how you feel about glossy dials and the larger 43.5mm size

    7. Lastly, and perhaps this is a silly question, but since this is being sold new, would the Omega 5 year warranty apply rather than the 2 year warranty in place when it was made (obviously this is a question I can ask the AD)?
    Yes, it will be 5 years unless they dated the warranty card for some reason from a long time ago.
    Thank you for your help. One concern I had was with buying an older watch and the potential need for service, and then the value of the discount relative to the need for servicing. Your responses are helping me resolve those concerns.

  8. #7
    Member PetrosD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    472

    Re: Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
    I would service the watch in 7-10 years since it hasn’t really moved much. Service can cost between 400-800 depending if you take it to a reputable independent or directly to Omega.
    I would try to get 30% or more for the 8500.
    8900 is a great movement but it depends on the buyer, you, which watch you should go with.

    Best of luck and it seems like you are very excited with either option!
    Thank you for your help. This gives me some much needed insight. Those service costs aren't bad, and the AD has a certified watchmaker that I've used for work on other watches, so I may use him rather than Omega when the time comes.

    Regarding the discount, you're confirming my thinking and I'm going to see what flexibility I can get from the AD.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    96

    Re: Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by PetrosD View Post
    Thank you for your help. This gives me some much needed insight. Those service costs aren't bad, and the AD has a certified watchmaker that I've used for work on other watches, so I may use him rather than Omega when the time comes.

    Regarding the discount, you're confirming my thinking and I'm going to see what flexibility I can get from the AD.
    For sure. You definitely gotta play the pazaria game with the AD. Those extra savings can be spent on treating yourself out on a night to enjoy the new acquisition!
    PetrosD likes this.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    110

    Re: Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by PetrosD View Post
    I think my preference is the 41.5 mm size of the 8500. I have a 7.75-8" wrist and can certainly pull off the 43.5mm of the 8900 movement references. But my preferred size for a diver is 40-42 so the 8500 is a great size (even though it is a bit thicker than I'd like).

    It's interesting...I see many people ask questions like what should I do, or which I should buy, and I never quite understood why they asked those questions. Now I realize that when people ask those questions, they probably already know the answers themselves. The asking and the answers help provide clarity over that which they already knew but couldn't see clearly.
    I am partial to the 8500 because I own one. My main gripe about the new one is the font they used for 12,6,& 9 numerals, they look to digital to me and I agree 42 is the sweet spot in terms of size.

  11. #10
    Member PetrosD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    472

    Re: Omega PO 8500 NOS - Advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Palettj View Post
    I am partial to the 8500 because I own one. My main gripe about the new one is the font they used for 12,6,& 9 numerals, they look to digital to me and I agree 42 is the sweet spot in terms of size.
    I hadn't really noticed the difference in the numerals until you pointed it out. I have to agree that the 8500 numerals look much nicer, less modern.

    I'm pretty convinced to go with an 8500 over the later versions, although I'll admit I'm still a little hung up on the helium escape valve on the POs. I like everything else about the watches except for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •