Omega Seamaster 2254 Custom (big pictures!) - Page 8
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Omega Seamaster 2254 Custom (big pictures!)

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Omega Seamaster 2254 Custom (big pictures!)

Quote Originally Posted by watchvaultnyc View Post
    The funny thing is that modding a 2230.50 with a real bezel from an Olympic SMP300 is actually about the cost of a pre-owned Black Bay Red.

Right now considering 3 options:

- this 2230.50 w/ PO bezel mod (best feel on the wrist)
    - just settling for a PO 2201.50 (straightforward solution, but it's too pretty and too tall for my tastes)
    - refurbing my vintage SM300 with a new bezel and dial (mine is quite beat up, and its really hard for me to enjoy it as-is)
    That's a tough one, because you have a real vintage SM300 and not a NOS or watchco. I'd look for hands maybe, and save the originals, but not sure I'd mess with the dial unless the lume is flaking off and can get into the movement.

I can give you the name and number of my watchmaker who I believe still has my new watchco SM300 from last September with black date wheel, and it will cost you less than what you plan to do and not wreck your genuine vintage watch. I considered buying it back, but instead bought the Black Bay Red from an AD for a little more.
    OMEGA * Grey Side of the Moon * Ti PO 8500 & 9300 * PO LM LE * X-33 Solar Impulse LE * Speedy Tuesday LE * SMPc Chrono * Speedmaster Pro 861, 3570.50+3572.50 x2 * Ti SMP Chrono 2298.80 * SMP Bond * WatchCo SM300 * '62 Seamaster DeVille x2
    ROLEX *
    Pepsi GMT Master II Ceramic * Rolex SubC Hulk * Rolex SubC ND
    OTHER * Grand Seiko SBGX115 * Hamilton Harrison Ford Chrono * DOXA Poseidon LE * Bulova Moon x2 * Victorinox Dive Master 500 x3 * Luminox Atacama 1842+1923 & Colormark 3157 * Red Bull Formula 1 * Seiko Astron GPS * Seiko Prospex LE/PADI/SKX007/009/173 * Citizen Ti Perpetual Cal x2 +300M Diver x3 * DLC Apple Watch * Egard Passages * Casio ProTrek Solar x2 * Commander 300 * NTH Sub x2
    SOLD * Omega AT Skyfall, MC, 2503.33, Great White GMT & SMP Mid * Rolex Sub Hulk, 16800, TT Sub, Polar Exp x3, black Exp II, Yachmaster * GMT II Coke & BLNR * Nomos Midnight Orion stolen * Omega CK-2998LE * Silver Snoopy Award LE * POLMLE & 2201.51 * TAG Classic 2K * SMPc * GSOTM#2 * Speedy 3513.30

wow, looks amazing!
    Omega SMP 2254.50
    1979 Rolex Air King
    1960s Tudor Oyster Date
    Casio Riseman
    Casio DW 6900 Pink/Stealth/Purple
    Seiko Orange Monster

So I logged on to WUS the other day and noticed that this thread is still kicking some interest so I thought I'd give everyone who's interested an update on my custom SMP. I actually sold my modded 2254.50 last year as something just didn't feel right about it. It is undoubtedly the best of both worlds from a cosmetic and functional standpoint - the dial and hands look superb and the bezel easier to turn than the stock 2254.50 bezel. But something about it didn't quite sit right - it felt like a bit of a Franken, albeit a rare and interesting creation all the same.

As ridiculous as this sounds, the thing that bugged me the most about it were the poorly fitting, gappy solid end links of the bracelet. I'm not sure why Omega did this with their SMPs, but I've found that all of my 1120-based pieces over the years have had poorly fitting SELs resulting in an ugly gap between the SEL and case. This shouldn't be a deal breaker, but at almost £2K down you expect to get a bracelet that looks like it was designed to fit the case! In my experience this isn't a problem with the Planet Ocean range, hence why I decided to buy one of these as a replacement...

The PO 8500 may not be as slim and comfortable on the wrist as the classic SMP, but it feels in a totally different league in terms of build quality. Did I do the right thing???
    OtMiEmGeA likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pjsayer View Post
    So I logged on to WUS the other day and noticed that this thread is still kicking some interest so I thought I'd give everyone who's interested an update on my custom SMP. I actually sold my modded 2254.50 last year as something just didn't feel right about it. It is undoubtedly the best of both worlds from a cosmetic and functional standpoint - the dial and hands look superb and the bezel easier to turn than the stock 2254.50 bezel. But something about it didn't quite sit right - it felt like a bit of a Franken, albeit a rare and interesting creation all the same.

As ridiculous as this sounds, the thing that bugged me the most about it were the poorly fitting, gappy solid end links of the bracelet. I'm not sure why Omega did this with their SMPs, but I've found that all of my 1120-based pieces over the years have had poorly fitting SELs resulting in an ugly gap between the SEL and case. This shouldn't be a deal breaker, but at almost £2K down you expect to get a bracelet that looks like it was designed to fit the case! In my experience this isn't a problem with the Planet Ocean range, hence why I decided to buy one of these as a replacement...

The PO 8500 may not be as slim and comfortable on the wrist as the classic SMP, but it feels in a totally different league in terms of build quality. Did I do the right thing???
    Looks awesome. How do you like the 42mm with the added thickness? I ask because in noodling whether or not to pick up a 42 in either caliber to go with my 45's.

Enjoying the 8500 today.

Your photos are great and congrats on your PO - smashing!

Sent from a Payphone

But something about it didn't quite sit right - it felt like a bit of a Franken...

Because of this, I have decided that I'll keep mine OEM... My Brother was right when I've talked him about the PO seconds hand... He said straight away Franken... I can't stand thicker watches, I nearly settled for a Sea dweller but after trying One and realize how thick it is. I know it's not for Me. Haven't seen or tried the 2500 PO on both 42 and 45 but even my SMP GMT 2234 is somewhat thick already for my liking...

Glad I found a nice example of this model with complete box and papers...
    some pictures On Nato, Rubber and Bracelet...

Well I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want the PO a fraction thinner - perhaps even by a couple of mm as it is certainly chunkier than it needs to be. Having said that its only ever an issue with a shirt and tie and even then it still manages to slip under the cuff.

The 45.5 is too big for my 7.5" wrist even though I've heard it wears flatter. Yours looks nice though.

My biggest gripe with my PO is the timekeeping oddly enough. Mine runs at a perfectly decent if somewhat underwhelming +5s / day, but I'm spoilt with my ETAs. I was able to regulate the 1120 in the SMP down to +0.5s / day whereas I don't have the tools to do the PO . Hardly a big deal, but I know the 8500 is capable of better.
    mjoranga likes this.

Well said Mate... Yeah the 8500 is a movement never to be messed with. Not every watch maker can deal with this model as I've read You need to be trained and probably will work under microscope at certain areas. I've tried the 8500 42 and 45 and to be Honest, I find the 42 to be very thick due to over all proportion Maybe. Don't worry too much with Your time keeping as it's within COSC anyway. When it's time for service, Hopefully they'll tweak it up its best...

does look good in those photos, just dont know if i could bring my self to do it to my 2254, might just save up and buy a PO as well as. :)

i did something similar with my speedmaster, new pulsation bez and a Mitsukoshi dial, thought i might regret it but I love it. kept all the original parts just in case i have a change of heart one day. ill post a pic up now.

heres my custom speedy.Attachment 7484394Attachment 7484426
    mjoranga likes this.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information