Omega Seamaster 2254 Custom (big pictures!)
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Omega Seamaster 2254 Custom (big pictures!)

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Omega Seamaster 2254 Custom (big pictures!)

The full gallery with full res shots can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shaneli...7624117378632/

Well, it's not quite a new idea - I'm following in the footsteps of others who've slapped a PO bezel on an SMP, like EL and John_in_SC (who has been helpful in his correspondence regarding bezel removal). But I think it's a good one!

As some of you might have seen, I originally purchased an electric blue 2255.80 with the intention of either converting to a non-AC dial 2254 or else this project. The EB dial grew on me and a 2254 came up for sale for a song, so I decided to use that as a base for this project instead.

Like others, I admired how the Planet Ocean took adapted some of the design cues of the classic Seamaster 300M divers. It's a handsome watch that proudly displayed its roots as a tool watch, updated in modern style. But I didn't much care for either the increased bulk of the 600m case or the double arrow hands. The 2254 SMP was almost perfect: I loved the slim case, the no-nonsense sword hands, the big triangle, and the graceful, sloping lugs. The small crown is unfortunate, but I don't quite have the ambition that John_in_SC apparently has, so my crown and crown guards will remain unmodified for the time being. But the biggest problem was the scaloped bezel, more at home with the fashionable Bond SMs than the 2254. The damn thing can be harder to turn than my Orient Mako's bezel. After owning the 2255 for a few weeks, I did grow warmer toward its looks if not its functionality, but the PO bezel still proved a superior draw.

So, the result here is the integration of some of the parts of the Planet Ocean that I liked (bezel, insert, and second hand) with a base 2254. And also, for the hell of it, a 2230 "non-AC" dial for an additional touch of luxury. The SMP case retains its sveltness, as the PO bezel is only marginally taller than the SMP one; the new insert sits about a half millimeter over the edge of the crystal. The PO bezel is much easier to turn than the original. The watch will probably stay like this for the time being, though I may experiment with the 2254 insert on the PO bezel.

The 1120 movement survived my brief incursion into the case and is presently keeping time at a respectable +1 second over 5 days.

Enjoy the pictures!

Last edited by ASRSPR; May 24th, 2010 at 03:48.
    ajk1979, Phil_P, winster and 20 others like this.

Re: Omega Seamaster 2254 Custom (big pictures!)

Those are amazing pictures. It seems most of the people here are photography nerds too.

I like your project. The knurled bezel gives it a much more business look to it...

Thanks,
    Randy
    Nylon NATION Co-Conspirator
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

EL

Nice work! That's *EXACTLY* what I did to my 2254.50 earlier this year, only to have a change of heart and revert it back to its original stock form. I do think it looks awesome. The biggest issue I found with this mod is the mismatch between the PO bezel and the SMP crystal. I shipped a PO crystal to John_in_SC, but not sure if he experimented with that on his 2254.50. If you can marry the PO bezel with a PO crystal on the 2254.50 case, that's a big plus. Otherwise, the gap might start buggin' ya after awhile.

I was a former PO fan and decided that I needed to scratch that itch via the original issue for the PO and that made me appreciate the 2254.50 stock format even more.
    Buchmann69 likes this.

Well done. I like it.
    I changed to a PO bezel on my SMP GMT. I did not care for the faceted bezel that came with the GMT.
    The "weak link" is the bezel insert. It was necessary to reuse the original insert to retain the 24 hr. function of the watch.

And now, a brief addendum regarding SMP bezel removal

Here's a diagram of how the two bezels fit the SMP case. This should be taken as a rough cross-section of the case along the stem axis. As you can see, there's a gap between the inner wall of the case shrouding and th bezel because the PO bezel is just marginally smaller than the SMP one. Also, the PO bezel's crenelations are not as deep as the bezel lip on the SMP bezel, which may make it even harder to remove.

The SMP bezel is so notoriously hard to remove because the case sides are a bit shrouded and there's no way to get under the bezel from the sides. The SMP bezel sits flat on top of the shrouding (see diagram above), but there's not enough depth for a Rolex-style 4-blade or Horotec case crab type bezel tool to force the bezel off that way.

The Horotech case crab does work when inserted between the lugs, but pressure along just the single axis may deform the bezel if the bezel spring is tight and there's alot of junk underneath accumilated over the years. My circa 2003 SMP 2255 gave me alot of trouble using the Horotec tool, but my newish 2254's bezel popped right off. I guess this teaches us to clean under our bezels every so often. The click spring is held in a recessed groove on the case and the 12 and 6 o'clock axis is clear of the click spring teeth, so that's at least not a concern for going in that direction.

I could never get the $25 AF rubber tool to work with any bezel (Omegas, Seiko 007, Orient Mako, Bernhardt Globemaster), no matter what I tried; John_in_SC has had reasonably good results with it though.

Presumably the Bergeon 6820 tool that pushes against the crystal would work too, but it might scratch up the case sides a bit because of the positioning of the claws would force at least one straight against a sloping edge on a lug.

With the PO bezel installed, it's literally only hard work with a case knife or a tool like the horotec case crab that will work. The only leverage is through the slot between the lugs - I doubt that the crenelations are wide enough to pull on them with something like the Bergeon tool without scratching them to hell. And since they don't sit on top of the case shrouding, here's no way that a rolex-style tool will find purchase.

Here are the tools that I'm talking about:

Rolex-style:

Horotec case crab:

$25 AF rubber tool (picture from Ofrei):

Bergeon 6820 (also from Ofrei):

---

Thanks for the comments, everyone. The last few watches that I've shot have had big polished surfaces, so the mostly brushed and matte finishes on this one have been a good as they've allowed me to get out of the light tent and do some more interesting lighting.

EL: I saw your posts about your watch! So far, it's not a big deal for me yet, but I guess you might be right. Is it just the bezel insert or is the bezel taller? I forgot to measure them both before I finished the swap. If it's the former, then switching in the stock 2254 bezel should solve this problem...
    Last edited by ASRSPR; May 25th, 2010 at 02:15.
    mitadoc likes this.

Those pics are super! Love them! I've got to try one of these light tents one day.

I prefer the 2254 "as is" but props to you for being a "modder"
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

3 words...

BEA U TIFUL

Great work boss. Looks just like mine.

As EL and you have discovered, there is a .5mm lip on the bezel. It's actually the bezel itself and not the insert. Here's a shot of the SMP bezel insert on the PO bezel. Be aware that if you go that route, you need to modify the SMP insert to fit the PO bezel. It's an easy mod and you can still use the SMP insert in a SMP bezel afterwards. You can also see the lip in the 2nd shot. Both shots are with the old PO bezel I had and before the Non-AC dial.

As EL mentioned, I've got a PO crystal....and yes EL, it fits perfectly. To remove the lip, I figured I'd go for the PO crystal. Once installed, according to Dalton (who did it for me) it's perfect and blends with the PO bezel perfectly. Had to use the SMP crystal gasket though as the PO gasket is too tall. Once I get it back I'll snap some photos of it. He's replacing my speedy hands as well. HOpe to have it back this week.

As for a PO crown...still plan on adding that but I'll take my time with that final mod as that one is permanent. I've got the crown sitting here for when I decide to do it. Will more then likely wait another year till my warranty runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by John_in_SC View Post
    As EL mentioned, I've got a PO crystal....and yes EL, it fits perfectly. To remove the lip, I figured I'd go for the PO crystal. Once installed, according to Dalton (who did it for me) it's perfect and blends with the PO bezel perfectly. Had to use the SMP crystal gasket though as the PO gasket is too tall. Once I get it back I'll snap some photos of it. He's replacing my speedy hands as well. HOpe to have it back this week.
    Oh, that is just fantastic news! I guess I'm making another order with Ofrei soon...

ugh.. sorry I don't like it.....
    Omega Planet Ocean 42mm 2201.50

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information