Omega Seamaster 300m old or new

Thread: Omega Seamaster 300m old or new

Hi All,

I am planning to buy omega seamaster 300m but am confused between the old and new model and needed some help regarding that.

I am inclined towards the new model for the following new features:
    1. better (?) in-house movement
    2. anti-magnetic.

Earlier I liked the new wave dial, but now I have started having doubts and started liking the dial of the outgoing model.

It will be great if someone who owns either of them (or both ) can help with the following confusions:

1. Is the new 8800 movement better in terms of accuracy from 2500 movement?
    2. How relevant is the anti-magnetic feature in a day-to-day life, and should this be a deciding factor while deciding on the watch

P.S.: For the reason of plain/clean dial look, I also considered planet ocean, but it is thicker and heavier than 300m :(

Thanks!
    Anurag

Re: Omega Seamaster 300m old or new

Try them both on and get the one that feels the best on your wrist. I wouldn’t worry so much about the movement as they are both good and definitely not about the anti magnetic properties - that’s just a nice to have.
    Omega SMP 300 Chrono
    Omega 8500 Aqua Terra
    Omega 2500 Orange PO
    Vintage Omega Geneve
    Chopard GT XL
    Bell & Ross BR03-92 Ceramic

Yea try both. Both are great! That’s the beauty of SMP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you gotta do, you gotta do!!!

Collection :
    Omega, Rolex, Blancpain, Zenith, Tudor, IWC

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Late to the party, but the PO is a little more classic. The old 300’s are getting a little expensive for the average collector. I sold my series 1 1957 version 7 years ago for $6000 and still regret it.

I had the 41mm version, and just got the new 42mm wave dial. In terms of your accuracy question, they are about the same. The older version was just shy of +1 second per day, and my newer watch is coming in at +0.6 per day. I have never magnetized a watch, so I can't speak to that. From what I understand, it is not a big deal if you magnetize a watch because it is a simple fix. Most shops will do it for free, or you can buy a gadget online for $20.

Now for the wave dial... I was REALLY worried about that at first. I was not a fan of the pictures AT ALL. I saw one in person and completely changed my mind. I actually don't even notice the waves most of the time. They really only appear under certain lighting conditions. Even when I do see them now, they look great in person.

Quote Originally Posted by cda555 View Post

Now for the wave dial... I was REALLY worried about that at first. I was not a fan of the pictures AT ALL. I saw one in person and completely changed my mind. I actually don't even notice the waves most of the time. They really only appear under certain lighting conditions. Even when I do see them now, they look great in person.
    Completely agree with this. Seeing the watch in person completely changed my perspective and sold me on it. Definitely see it in person first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    my positive feedback - search "omega1300" in the feedback forum!

Banned

Each of them its unique own way. The PO 2500 in general has different case which is very comfortable IMO, however the newer version has a slightly better movement due to a better parts. In the end, you will have an amazing watch regardless what you choose.

I have the older gen and I love the wave dial, I wouldn't trade it for a new model. But if I didn't have it and we're shopping today, it would be a hard choice. And yes, photos hardly reflect seeing a wave dial in person.

Or do what I did, older cheaper SMP Quartz and a 8900 PO

Quote Originally Posted by anurag.saxena View Post
    Hi All,

I am planning to buy omega seamaster 300m but am confused between the old and new model and needed some help regarding that.

I am inclined towards the new model for the following new features:
    1. better (?) in-house movement
    2. anti-magnetic.

Earlier I liked the new wave dial, but now I have started having doubts and started liking the dial of the outgoing model.

It will be great if someone who owns either of them (or both ) can help with the following confusions:

1. Is the new 8800 movement better in terms of accuracy from 2500 movement?
    2. How relevant is the anti-magnetic feature in a day-to-day life, and should this be a deciding factor while deciding on the watch

P.S.: For the reason of plain/clean dial look, I also considered planet ocean, but it is thicker and heavier than 300m :(

Thanks!
    Anurag
    Having owned both (blue) I would say the Newer Model hands down and it's not even close m8.

The 8800 is a kick ass movement. Mine is +/- 1 secs a day. What's better, is you can actually see the beast with the expedition case back. With the older one, it had a Modified ETA movement. Still had good accuracy. The older one was about +/- 3 secs a day. However, it was enclosed with the OG Hipocampus and waves.

As for as anti-magnetic it isn't a problem. I work in a hospital and my new Omega Seamaster Eats X-ray Blasts and Radiology for breakfast since it's 15,000 Gaus. No problems their either and I had it for a year.

I like to play with my rotating bezels and I would vote for the new one simply they made the turning action feel better. The older 2500 bezel feels and sounds cheap for some reason.. which is weird, because the even older 1120 bezel feels pretty nice.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Thread Information