Omega Seamaster Diver 300 Co-AXIAL(SMPC) Bezel Action
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Omega Seamaster Diver 300 Co-AXIAL(SMPC) Bezel Action

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Omega Seamaster Diver 300 Co-AXIAL(SMPC) Bezel Action

I was seriously thinking of picking up an Omega Seasmaster, that is until I started to do a bit of research. I watched a couple YouTube reviews from some reputable and notable watch reviewers that have stated the bezel action on the titled watch to be just horrible, especially when taking into account the price. Now I’m kind of rethinking.

Any owners of this watch out there that can confirm or rebut this statement??
    Current Rotation:

Sport Dress:

Divers: Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY211c

Beaters: G-Shock GWM5610 | Luminox Navy Seal Colormark |Citizen Eco-Drive

Future Sport Dress:

Black Dial: Tudor Black Bay 36
    Blue Dial: Omega Aqua Terra

White Dial: Grand Seiko SBGX259

Future Divers:

Black Dial: Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight

Blue Dial: Own
    White Dial: Sinn 104 or Damasko DA47
    Bronze: Oris Divers Sixty-Five Bronze Bezel

Sold:

Seiko SBDC051, SBDC053, Sinn 104(White Dial), Oris Divers Sixty-Five

Re: Omega Seamaster Diver 300 Co-AXIAL(SMPC) Bezel Action

All Seamasters suffer from the same problem of the bezel not being very grippy. Not a big deal, just takes a little extra effort to turn it. Wouldn’t stop me from buying one. FWIW it’s one of my favorite watches ever

Betterthere likes this.

Newest 42mm versions are improved but still not the easiest to grip. From my own personal experience Omega’s in general have some of the worst bezel actions compared to it’s peers. Out of the Omega line, the best bezel action has been my Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial. The Planet Ocean line has been hit or miss... I’ve had some that were quite good and some that were horrible. Rolex in general has much better bezel actions and so does Breitling and Tudor. My previous gen SMPc the bezels were very difficult to turn. I really wish Omega would get their act together when it comes to their bezel’s... if Breitling and Tudor can do it there’s no reason why Omega can’t at least match them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not the easiest to grip or turn but really depends on how often you plan to use. Benefit of the design is no accidental hitting on items.

I think the Omega bezels are fairly good. They do have a bit of wobble on them though ie if you place a finger either side of the dial (at 3 and 9 for example) you can sometimes press and feel a bit of movement. Hardly horrible but I guess thats where the criticism comes in. Also the functionality on them for gripping whilst wearing wetsuit gloves is also a bit of an issue but how many people actually dive with a new SMP nowadays? Not many, in relation to the amount sold. It wouldnt stop me buying a watch though. How often are you going to use that bezel?

I think for me what it comes down to is while it isn’t horrible in isolation Omega’s peers do it better. Omega does so many things well such as the details in the casework it always bothers me why they couldn’t get one of the easier things right. I consider Rolex, Omega, and Breitling similar in that they use pretty much the same movement type across their price ranges and what you’re paying for as you go up the money chain is materials like gold or diamonds and not the movement. Guys like Zenith and Ulysses Nardin and Blancpain they have some stuff that plays in the same price ranges but they also have some really crazy movements as you go up the price chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterthere View Post
    Not the easiest to grip or turn but really depends on how often you plan to use. Benefit of the design is no accidental hitting on items.
    Much better than a sub, that thing turns by itself multiple times per day. One of the worst offenders, I’ve always been confused why people say Rolex sub bezel is so great. Now, the Pelagos ... that’s a different story. Best bezel action EVER
    breitlingso08 and thx67 like this.

I owned a 2254.50 which came with a scalloped bezel like on the SMP being discussed. The design looks nice, but yep it's a pain to grip it. However most people rarely turn the bezel on their watch so it's a non issue. Don't let that put you off buying one though.

The PO and Seamaster 300 MC have coin edge bezels which are fantastic to grip and work really nicely. I owned a SubC and have a 14060m Sub and I prefer the PO bezel hands down.
    Dan
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall": Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition: Rolex Submariner 14060M Y Serial

Gone

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

So, one of the things I routinely use the bezel for is exactly what it's supposedly designed for - timing how long I've been in the water, though it's usually the pool or snorkeling, rather than SCUBA.

The reality is that the older SMP 300m bezels are flat out unusable if your hands or the bezel are even a tiny bit wet. The current wave-dial 300m is substantially improved, with a much softer bezel action, but that just brings it up to 'not 100% useless'.

I don't have the SMPc, but I have (and love) my 2254 and an electric blue/titanium old wave dial SMP also, along with my new wave dial SMPc. They look great, are super-readable, relatively low-profile, and the bezel can be used (with difficulty for the older models) under pristine dry-hand conditions. The new one has a vastly improved bezel feel, much more high-end, and pleasing to turn. Omega clearly made a major effort to improve this on the newest model, I'll defer to those with more experience on the non-wave SMPc for where it falls between the old and new wave dials.

All that said, the SMP's are the LAST watches I put on if I'm planning on going in the water or using the bezel for timing. Literally every other watch with a bezel in my watch box has a better-operating bezel, from my $200 Seiko 007 to my PloProf. Even my Omega (Watchco) SHOM's relatively loose bi-directional bezel, which I'd never use for timing an actual dive because it easily re-sets from brushing against things is a better bezel in the water.

I love the SMP 300m, but IMHO Omega really dropped the ball on the older models, and buyers will need to decide for themselves how they feel about the newer versions relative to their personal needs.

For those wondering, what DO I wear in the water? Sinn UX is amazing in the water, with the oil-filled dial providing unparalleled visibility. Seiko divers also get the nod, 007, SPORK, Turtle, shrouded divers like SRP 639 and the SUN023 Kinetic GMT, with Planet Ocean 2500 42mm and 8500 XL the nicer alternative. Unsurprisingly, everything on that list has a bezel that operates smoothly, stays where I set it, and can be operated with wet hands, dive gloves, or weird slippery algae on my hands.

I have no experience with older models, but my new SMPmc is fine. I was at a hotel last weekend, went swimming with it on, bezel action while in the pool was great, much better than "not 100% useless".

Now, my former, coin-edged Bremont S300 bezel. THAT was completely useless when wet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

breitlingso08 likes this.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8900 M.C. Ref. 220.10.41.21.06.001
    Omega Seamaster Professional M.C. Ref. 210.40.32.20.04.001
    Ming 17.06 Monolith

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information