Omega Seamaster Question for experienced Omega buyers!
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Omega Seamaster Question for experienced Omega buyers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Seamaster Question for experienced Omega buyers!

So I have been collecting watches for some time now, and up to this point the most expensive watches I have purchased have been $1000 - $1500. Over the weekend I was in a local Jewelry store that sells high end Estate Watches. I came across a newer 2000's Omega Seamaster Professional 300M, that really caught my eye. I ask to see it, and try it on, and it fits perfectly.. Never had a thought of buying one until I tried it on. So here lies the problem. The watch is for sale as is, no box, no papers, no links. Just the watch. So my question to the community is how much value does this watch lose not having those things with it? Should I be embarrassed as a proud watch buyer to purchase a grail in this state? I have never bought a watch without these things before. Please help out this in love with the watch, but unsure what to do person.

Re: Omega Seamaster Question for experienced Omega buyers!

Typically the completeness of the kit is reflective in the price of the watch. I would assume that because this watch has no extra links and no box, it would be priced lower than other used models you might have seen around with a more complete kit. If you are buying this watch to wear it, and not as an investment (which just about everyone on this forum will tell you is a terrible reason to buy a watch), then the box and extra links (if not needed) really do nothing much except take up space.

FWIW
    NMGE17 likes this.

Most certainly not an investment watch as I only buy watches I intend to wear. That was along the lines of the way I was feeling. Maybe it was meant for me to buy because it fits me perfect. Thanks for the response!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You should also assume that you will need to have the watch serviced.
    NMGE17 likes this.

Seamaster can mean literally 1000 different watches. Unless you know the reference or at least have a photo of it it is anyone's guess. Having box and papers means nothing unless someone cares.
    NMGE17 likes this.

no box no paper should have lower price than average.
    make sure it is in good condition.

No links can be troublesome from my experience, so I will defintely avoid it or ask for more discount while making sure the watch can really fit my wrist, but usually most seller will not remove the links to adjust for your wrist before you confirm or pay the purchase.

Buying extra links from omega can cost u a lot, I bought two seamasters without extra half links and kind of regret it later. Usually it takes time to resize to watch to have a perfect fit, you may even add or remove links when the weather changes later.
    Not to mention having extra links may give you flexibility to give/lend the watch to your love ones to wear.

...also, harder to sell down the road.
    Damasko DA46 Black
    Seiko 5 vintage (1969)

Tag Heuer 2000 Classic (1990)
    Omega Seamaster vintage (mid 60's)
    Omega Seamaster 300 2254.50
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50 (sold)

Estate sale always rings alarm bells with me. I guess the shop you're referring to is a proper jewellery shop and not a pawn shop type place. If its the latter, they buy in anything, ive spotted fakes in those places. If its a proper jewellers you'll probably be ok but links are expensive and you may need to service it so add a possible £500 to your budget. I would take a shot at if you add these costs then your very close to the price of a "full set" Omega. The seamaster is an easy watch to source so youre probably better holding out and trying a few more on. Best of luck

Camera Bill - This makes sense and was one of the things I was worried about. I am actually a little thinner than usual, as I have been on a 6 month hiatus from weight lifting following injury. Being a tool and die maker by trade, I can appreciate what temperature and humidity can do to steel.

Quote Originally Posted by thx67 View Post
    Estate sale always rings alarm bells with me. I guess the shop you're referring to is a proper jewellery shop and not a pawn shop type place. If its the latter, they buy in anything, ive spotted fakes in those places. If its a proper jewellers you'll probably be ok but links are expensive and you may need to service it so add a possible £500 to your budget. I would take a shot at if you add these costs then your very close to the price of a "full set" Omega. The seamaster is an easy watch to source so youre probably better holding out and trying a few more on. Best of luck
    It is not a pawn shop and just calls them that vs. used watches.. They are definitely reputable and offer some really high end watches that are way out of my league. I think what I will do is go back and get any #s I can off the watch. Maybe that way I can get a better Idea of the value of a full set, and whether or not the discounted price is worth it. 2 watches that I have always wanted are a blue or gray wavy faced Seamaster and a Moon watch professional. This one I found is a Blue wavy faced 300M professional. Not sure of the movement or the actual model #. I am certainly gonna dig deeper before pulling the trigger. Thanks to all of you who commented. This is a great forum!
    thx67 and fskywalker like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information