Omega SMPc vs. SMP 2531.80 (mainly thickness) - Page 7
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Omega SMPc vs. SMP 2531.80 (mainly thickness)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Omega SMPc vs. SMP 2531.80 (mainly thickness)

Yes, it should come back looking (and functioning) as good as new

They will replace whatever is needed UNLESS you ask them not to (and even then, they may insist anyway if the request would impact the watch functioning properly)

Some people ask to keep dial, hands, original etc - but as you're asking to replace them in your post this would not apply to you. GL
    Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 (BNIB Feb 2015)
    Omega Seamaster 2254 (2nd owner)
    Omega Planet Ocean 8500 42 mm (BNIB June 2018)
    Seiko sbdx 017 - MM 300 (2nd owner)
    Seiko srp 653 - WILL BE LISTED FOR SALE SHORTLY
    Seiko skx 171
    Seiko skx 007 light mods - CURRENTLY LISTED FOR SALE ON WUS

Would love a ceramic bezel Seamaster Professional but between the over thick case for the new movement and the extra thickness itís added and lack of Black sword hands, itís a big no thanks from me. Long live the 2254!

Excellent post, I had not observed the thickness differences having only seen the "wave" in the watch case. I love my Bond 50th LE SMPc and that 2531 is a straight icon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kylevuong View Post
    Hi guys, sorry for digging up this thread. I have the Seamaster 2531.80, made in 1986 (based on the serial number), the hour and minute hands is oxidised and the lume is not working. If I send it to Omega for service can they replace the hands?
    I just want to keep the original aesthetic of the watch...
    Iíve had a few 2531s serviced by them. Any replacement parts you have to request and pay for. Iím pretty certain you can get the watch back exactly as you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by kylevuong View Post
    Hi guys, sorry for digging up this thread. I have the Seamaster 2531.80, made in 1986 (based on the serial number), the hour and minute hands is oxidised and the lume is not working. If I send it to Omega for service can they replace the hands?
    I just want to keep the original aesthetic of the watch...
    1996 perhaps, as the 300 was launched in 1993

After finding the SMPc too thick and not liking the glossy not wave patterned dial, I remember reading this thread and then I started looking for the older model.
    Perfect fit. I adore it.
    Ended with me buying 3 of them in different colours.

Because of overlap in a modestly sized collection, now I am reduced to 2 and will only keep the 2541 blue wave “Bond”.
    Case proportions are on point for me.

I've recently been considering letting go of my SMPc in favor of an older, sleeker model, as it just feels a little too square and chunky sometimes. This thread may have pushed me over the edge.
    "10:08:37"

Omega SMPc vs. SMP 2531.80 (mainly thickness)

Quote Originally Posted by Vlance View Post
    Ok, so about a month ago, I purchased an SMPc (for the second time) and am trying to love it. However, I just can't get over, how from certain angles it doesn't seem proportioned well. The older style (2531.80) model, in my opinion has a much nicer flow incorporated into the design.

The problem I think, with the SMPc, is the thicker bezel. It's measures 4.5mm from the case, and accounts for roughly 35% of the 12.8mm thick watch.

Attachment 1865610

Attachment 1865626

Where, the 2531.80's bezel is 3.5mm and accounts for about 30% of the watch's 11.5mm thickness.

Attachment 1865634

Attachment 1865642

I know this doesn't seem like a lot, and the caseback on the SMPc is thicker as well, but it looks a lot different in comparison.

So, I began to wonder, why the new SMPc needed to have added thickness. I thought that maybe it was due to the movement change, but from what I've found (and I could be wrong) is that the 1120 is 4mm thick and the 2500 is 4.1mm thick (the 2500d with the three level coaxial may be thicker but I could not find info).
    So it's not specific to the movement necessarily.
    I then looked at the dial and thought maybe it could be the introduction of the applied indices. The raised markers would require the hands to be set to a new tolerance to clear them.

Attachment 1864930

However, it seemed there was more than enough room, which brought my attention to the how the hands were set.

Attachment 1865026

You can actually see some of the gold movement where the hands are attached, and there appears to be at least 1mm of space between the dial and hour hand.

(2531.80 as reference)

Attachment 1865042

So while I could envision the need to raise up the hands, the hour hand doesn't even reach the indices. It seems for some reason, the posts for the hands are much higher up than they need to be.

Attachment 1865074

The outcome is, increased crystal height from the dial, and a thicker looking bezel, stretched to accommodate this.

To me, it seems like some kind of design flaw having the hands sit so high, unless omega was really trying to give more of a 3 dimensional look to the dial.

When compared side by side though, you can really tell how the thickness makes the SMPc look more chunky. ( keep in mind, the case size is the same width and length, crystal and bezel are the exact same size too).

Attachment 1865178

Attachment 1865186

I just wanted to point out my observations. I hope omega can maybe fix that issue and bring the case dimensions back down to a more proportionate scale (Perhaps on a newer model?). I know it may not be everyone's opinion, but as far as being aesthetically pleasing, I find the earlier, slimmer, 2531.80 case to be much more appealing.

Lastly, features I enjoy with regards to the SMPc:
    - ceramic insert
    - visual appeal of the AR coated crystal
    - longers hands
    - applied markers and logo
    - stunning lacquer dial
    - raised silver print on dial
    - silver print date wheel
    - accurate 2500d movement
    - updated caseback design
    - screw in pins on bracelet
    - cleaner look of omega print on clasp

Features I'm not so much into:
    - bezel insert font
    - worrying about scratching AR coating
    - thickness of bezel and overall case (chunky feel)
    - thought lume would be much brighter
    - lower beat rate from movement (25200)
    - the less rounded finish on the bracelet
    - the rougher edges on clasp and overall clasp design ( the old one houses the folding pieces, and diver extension all inside, where the new one has parts extend outside of it)

Features I enjoy regarding the SMP 2531.80:
    - gorgeous blue insert and very clear silver font
    - low profile bezel and overall slim case dimensions
    - no AR coating on outside of crystal
    - iconic blue wave dial
    - nice bright green lume
    - super solid workhorse movement
    - sleek, well finished bracelet (very comfortable)
    - very nicely engineered clasp

Features I'm not fond of:
    - scratch prone insert
    - glare off crystal
    - hands are a little too short

Thanks for reading.

Vlance
    Nice write-up Vlance! The thinner caliber 1120 case / movement combo on the 2231 / 2254 / etc is hard to beat. On the other hand, the laquer dial on the SMPc dial is indeed a beauty!

Rather than waiting for Omega to do a thinner SMP, if you are mod friendly like me you just need to source the SMPc dial:

and a caliber 1120 model (2254, 2054, 2231, etc) case to build your ultimate thin SMP (I know, would say coaxial on dial with a non coaxial movement, that would not bother me. Perhaps a 2500 movement from an AT can be fitted on the slim caliber 1109 / 1120 case as well)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by fskywalker; May 17th, 2019 at 13:48.
    MorbidSalmon00 and Vlance like this.
    Francisco
    Ω 2535.80 / 3592.50 / 2232.30 / 2504.52 / 168.022
    ♛ 16610 / 18239

Very nice write up Vlance! Sorry for the belated comment!

I too love how thin the SMP 2531 really is compared to other watches. Even my SKX013 which is a mid size is thicker and I definitely notice that! I also tried on my dad's Breitling Superocean Heritage which is a nice watch - but I find it thick as well. My dad often complains about the thickness of his Breitling. Mind you - he is an classic desk diver and tends to hit his watches quite often.

As a matter of fact, thickness is a factor that I am concerned about with the Planet Ocean and even the new SMP 2018. These are beautiful timepieces, but I don't know if I could get over the thickness!
    fskywalker and Vlance like this.
    Omega 2531.80.00 Seamaster Professional 300m
    Seiko SKX013 Diver
    TAG Heuer WE1110 2000 Professional 200m
    TAG Heuer CAZ1110 Formula 1 Chronograph
    Timex Expedition Scout

Does anyone know if 2531.80 bracelet will fit ceramic version ? I really like clasp on 2531.80 and thinner links.
    fskywalker likes this.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information