Omega Speedmaster 44mm, not METAS (master chronometer)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TreebeardIM

Thread: Omega Speedmaster 44mm, not METAS (master chronometer)

Hi Everyone - I've been taking a look at the modern Speedmaster (particularly this one, 311.90.44.51.03.001)

Does anyone know why despite the COSC chronometer certification and 100m water resistance, the modern Speedmasters are not master chronometer or METAS certified? It seems the only one to carry that distinction is the Blue Side of the Moon, Moonphase Chronograph.

Thanks
    Brian

Itís all in the timing, as in when the watch was released, thatís the 9300 movement which is the original new bi-compass movement.

The later revisions where moved to Meta. The Speedmaster Racing is META as is the Moonlhase. Iíll admit wearing a magnetic resistant watch is great. The 9300 is not antimagnetic.

This particular model is a very nice titanium version. I almost bought it but waited for the blue monnohase which is a real beauty.

Donít buy that watch unless itís at a very good discount.
    Last edited by GTTIME; March 17th, 2019 at 16:59.

Re: Omega Speedmaster 44mm, not METAS (master chronometer)

To add to my comment the 9300 is a fantastic movement but that Titanium version was not a hot seller.

That said it is grade 5 titanium which is an amazing watch material.

Iíd like to own one but four 44.25 mm Speedies is enough.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the help! Makes sense. Maybe I'll hold out and see what they come to release this year at the new swatch group show they are planning.

Quote Originally Posted by GTTIME View Post
    Itís all in the timing, as in when the watch was released, thatís the 9300 movement which is the original new bi-compass movement.

The later revisions where moved to Meta. The Speedmaster Racing is META as is the Moonlhase. Iíll admit wearing a magnetic resistant watch is great. The 9300 is not antimagnetic.

This particular model is a very nice titanium version. I almost bought it but waited for the blue monnohase which is a real beauty.

Donít buy that watch unless itís at a very good discount.
    Not so sure on the statement that the 9300 is not anti-magnetic. I believe that the 9300 is anti-magnetic to 15K. The 9300 movement is the DSOTM series as well.
    I believe the 9300 has the same materials as the 9800 (the silicon balance wheel) its just that the METAS certification is attributed to the whole watch assembled vs. just the movement which also leads to a tighter accuracy spec.
    I would do the research, but everything I have seen the movements themselves are pretty much identical.

I just got mine 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier.
    Name:  0107191539~2.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  1.65 MB
    asadtiger likes this.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by TreebeardIM View Post
    Not so sure on the statement that the 9300 is not anti-magnetic. I believe that the 9300 is anti-magnetic to 15K. The 9300 movement is the DSOTM series as well.
    I believe the 9300 has the same materials as the 9800 (the silicon balance wheel) its just that the METAS certification is attributed to the whole watch assembled vs. just the movement which also leads to a tighter accuracy spec.
    I would do the research, but everything I have seen the movements themselves are pretty much identical.

I just got mine 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier.
    Name:  0107191539~2.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  1.65 MB
    Fair enough I was a bit black and white with the comment. If you are such the expert than what is the actual rating for the 9300?

I have read the same things you have and yes the movements are similar and yes the 9300 has antimagnetic capabilities but not rated at 15k gauss. Yes Al has said that most of the parts are the same between the movements.

I currently own 3 9300 movement Omegas and two Master Chronometer Speedmasters I worry less about magnetism with the newer watches. Is that just marketing?probably?

But please donít tell me to do research itís rude.

Thread Information