Are Omega still destroying vintage watches when serviced??
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Are Omega still destroying vintage watches when serviced??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Are Omega still destroying vintage watches when serviced??

Just seen an Omega Speedmaster for sale in my area from 1967. The watch was serviced at Omega in 2007 they replaced dial, hands and bezel...... AAAAaaarghhhhhh. Is this still something you have to be concerned about when taking your Omega for service??

https://www.dba.dk/herreur-omega-dej...id-1055726685/

I’m not sure that I would trust sending my vintage watch in to be serviced, unless you knew someone there that could assure you that it would stay original. My local AD does great work & has serviced/repaired many vintage watches. That would probably be where I would start.

Re: Are Omega still destroying vintage watches when serviced??

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan24 View Post
    Is this still something you have to be concerned about when taking your Omega for service??
    Yes
    GrouchoM likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

I assume this is a rhetorical question... not sure why anyone would think Swatch/Omega has suddenly become a sympathetic watch restoration business.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

I assume that they do it because 99% of the public want it that way. I bet nearly all of them will be impressed when their 50 year old watch comes back looking like new.

The 1% that are WIS's want something completely different.

So who you going to cater for?
    Omega SMP 300 Chrono
    Omega 8500 Aqua Terra
    Omega 2500 Orange PO
    Vintage Omega Geneve
    Chopard GT XL
    Bell & Ross BR03-92 Ceramic

Well, I play the guitar. If somebody at service pulled out a pickup from a Fender Stratocaster 1967 and put in a new one or stripped the paint and repainted it they would get a lawsuit. It would destroy the value of the guitar. So how come no one makes a lawsuit against omega when they destroy the value of a vintage Omega watch?

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan24 View Post
    Well, I play the guitar. If somebody at service pulled out a pickup from a Fender Stratocaster 1967 and put in a new one or stripped the paint and repainted it they would get a lawsuit. It would destroy the value of the guitar. So how come no one makes a lawsuit against omega when they destroy the value of a vintage Omega watch?
    Because the customer consents to the work before it is done. Are you really unaware of all this? It's been this way for years. It seems like you are just venting because you don't like it. Which is fine, but I'm not really sure it's going to change anything.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Quote Originally Posted by hidden by leaves View Post
    Because the customer consents to the work before it is done. Are you really unaware of all this? It's been this way for years. It seems like you are just venting because you don't like it. Which is fine, but I'm not really sure it's going to change anything.
    Yes I am ; )) Still in shock though about how ignorant and careless Omega is when it comes to their own legacy and customers... Too bad and not good enough!!

I know I will be contradicted, but I had two vintage watches restored at Omega and they did fine by me. However, I wrote and even called to let them know what I did and didn't want. Both watches looked great, though one did have the dial restored (I knew this and agreed beforehand because the dial had already seen work before I got it). They also confirmed with me what they would do beforehand, and that's all they did. As for warranty on the repairs, I got a short nominal (6 months?) warranty because they were old and they couldn't guarantee a sealed case, etc. Basically, just a short period to demonstrate that it worked like we agreed to before the work was done.

If you communicate extensively before they do any work, I think you'll be okay. But you can't assume anything. Their goal is to get the watch into fine running condition and they will make it "look new" if you don't tell them otherwise.

All I can go by is my experience. Others have had a different experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    If you communicate extensively before they do any work, I think you'll be okay.
    Iím not writing this simply to contradict you, but your experience and the conclusions you have drawn from it are misleading.

Omega has standards that they will follow regarding the condition of things like hands and dials. If those parts do not meet their standards, they will not leave them on the watch just because you asked them to. If you ask them to leave a perfectly good dial on the watch of course they wonít replace it, but if the lume is at risk of falling off or the finish is lifting, they wonít leave it no matter what you communicate to them.

If you ask them to leave something and they do, that means they would not have replaced it even if you didnít ask.

I would hate to see someone send a watch in thinking they will get to pick and choose what gets replaced, and find out the hard way that isnít the case.

Cheers, Al
    Deli, Overwound, Bruce310 and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information