Which Omega watch as an investment? - Page 2
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Which Omega watch as an investment?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Although I do totally appreciate your message about buying what you like and not thinking of watches as investments.

Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen 5616 View Post
    Sorry but this is not strictly true. I'd agree on most brand new Omegas (unless you're lucky to get a very limited edition speedmaster) but if you're smart/lucky you can make an educated guess which vintage watches will retain or increase in value. I assumed that the OP meant vintage versions of all three of those watches listed.
    The bit I don’t like is needing to get lucky. If it’s down to luck, it’s not an investment, it’s a gamble.

Let’s be frank, there are hundreds of better ways to invest money than buying Omega watches. It shouldn’t be about that. Do I feel it cheapens it? Yes, I think I do, a little.

My Submariner would be worth thousands more had it not been on my wrist as long as it had. But what a miserable purchase, to stash it in a box. Watches are made to be worn. As a solo piece, as part of a modest collection or a large rotation - buying them to squirrel them away, to me, is rather sad.
    My wish list - Rolex Sea-Dweller 116600, Omega Seamaster Chronograph 2594.52.00, IWC Big Pilot 5009, Breitling Chronomat Blackbird A13353, Rolex Explorer 214270.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    The bit I don’t like is needing to get lucky. If it’s down to luck, it’s not an investment, it’s a gamble.
    That's a fair assessment. I wonder if, when people say investment, they really mean they don’t want to buy a watch that tanks in value the minute they put it on their wrist. Only the OP can say what he meant.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Anyone who tells you any Omega will be a worthy investment is a plum. They’re like cars - the moment you buy one and walk out of the door with it, you lose a huge chunk of the value. You will then wait years, literally years - we’re talking at the very least five, probably more before you even break even on the original purchase price through inflation and minimal appreciation.

So don’t buy it to be an investment “blah, blah, blah” (strange how truth has become unpopular in recent years!), but the one you like and wear it. Otherwise, stick five grand in an ISA or a five year bond.
    I agree with this on principle.

Buying new is a bit like a car but at least watches only loose their value to a point (where a car will eventually cost to get it disposed of). Second hand is the way to go. Never lost on a watch I bought pre owned.

I also agree with the 5 years theory. My very common IWC was purchased new and only now it's at the level where I could break even or make a profit on it.

I'm also in the market for a watch (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ba...e-5038219.html) and want to buy something that will be desirable to an enthusiast down the track and with luck, retain its value better than other models.

Anyone who tells you any Omega will be a worthy investment is a plum. They’re like cars - the moment you buy one and walk out of the door with it, you lose a huge chunk of the value. You will then wait years, literally years - we’re talking at the very least five, probably more before you even break even on the original purchase price through inflation and minimal appreciation.

So don’t buy it to be an investment “blah, blah, blah” (strange how truth has become unpopular in recent years!), but the one you like and wear it. Otherwise, stick five grand in an ISA or a five year bond.
    If you buy a brand new Omega at the AD, then you are correct. In fact, you can say this about just about any watch other than certain Rolex and Patek models. However, he's talking about buying Ploprofs and Flightmaters, these are vintage watches and cannot be purchased at an AD. So long as he doesn't overpay, in all likelihood he will at least break even and if they suddenly become hot, he can make a little money. Or he can put 5k in a treasury bond and make .00001%..... snore. Call me a "plum" if you like, whatever the hell that means, but I'm sticking to my original point.

Let’s be frank, there are hundreds of better ways to invest money than buying Omega watches. It shouldn’t be about that. Do I feel it cheapens it? Yes, I think I do, a little.

My Submariner would be worth thousands more had it not been on my wrist as long as it had. But what a miserable purchase, to stash it in a box. Watches are made to be worn. As a solo piece, as part of a modest collection or a large rotation - buying them to squirrel them away, to me, is rather sad.
    Wait, so other investments don't involve luck? You do realize that certain stocks, even those seen as blue chips, can become worthless when the company fails? Ever hear of Enron? Governments and companies that issue bonds can also fail and bonds, which are generally seen as safer bets, can become worthless. Remember 2008? If someone buys shares in an index fund, this is generally seen as safe, but there never guaranties and there is always luck coming into play, and many people are predicting another recession/crash coming. Am I suggesting that Omegas are superior investments to stocks/bonds? No of course not. However, if someone has a solid investment of stocks/bonds/real estate and wants to have a little fun with watches while also hoping to make a modest amount of money, I don't think it's a sin to spend a few grand on a vintage watch for that purpose.

Edit: He never said he would squirrel it away, he said he would wear it on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by chillwill120 View Post
    Wait, so other investments don't involve luck? You do realize that certain stocks, even those seen as blue chips, can become worthless when the company fails? Ever hear of Enron? Governments and companies that issue bonds can also fail and bonds, which are generally seen as safer bets, can become worthless. Remember 2008? If someone buys shares in an index fund, this is generally seen as safe, but there never guaranties and there is always luck coming into play, and many people are predicting another recession/crash coming. Am I suggesting that Omegas are superior investments to stocks/bonds? No of course not. However, if someone has a solid investment of stocks/bonds/real estate and wants to have a little fun with watches while also hoping to make a modest amount of money, I don't think it's a sin to spend a few grand on a vintage watch for that purpose.

Edit: He never said he would squirrel it away, he said he would wear it on occasion.
    Here we go.... the next voyage of the HMS Pettifog. ALL ABOARD!

I’m a banker, so it’s fair to say I understand investments. It may seem like luck to you, I can assure you it isn’t to me (Enron wasn’t bad luck!). You said all that to agree watches are a crap investment? Yikes.

I never said they’d squirrel it away either, did I?
    My wish list - Rolex Sea-Dweller 116600, Omega Seamaster Chronograph 2594.52.00, IWC Big Pilot 5009, Breitling Chronomat Blackbird A13353, Rolex Explorer 214270.

I'd not buy any watch with the hope of it becoming a viable investment.
    Even buying a Rolex, is no guarantee that it will become a worthwhile investment.
    Saying that, I think you are probably more likely to have a future investment potential, if you own a SS Rolex, rather than most Omega's.
    GTTIME and solesman like this.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

Here we go.... the next voyage of the HMS Pettifog. ALL ABOARD!

I’m a banker, so it’s fair to say I understand investments. It may seem like luck to you, I can assure you it isn’t to me (Enron wasn’t bad luck!). You said all that to agree watches are a crap investment? Yikes.

I never said they’d squirrel it away either, did I?
    Isn't that 'Cockney rhyming slang'? Don't be so hard on yourself.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

Quote Originally Posted by chillwill120 View Post

Investments rely on data. The only questions are if you have enough, are they relevant and can you interpret them.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information