Which Omega watch as an investment? - Page 3
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Which Omega watch as an investment?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

don't buy watches as investments, blah blah blah!

I own a lot of Omegas so I can say this, especially an Omega.

Sure my POs I could sell for what I paid 10 years ago but 50% MSRP is the used price for 99% of Omegas.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Here we go.... the next voyage of the HMS Pettifog. ALL ABOARD!

I’m a banker, so it’s fair to say I understand investments. It may seem like luck to you, I can assure you it isn’t to me (Enron wasn’t bad luck!). You said all that to agree watches are a crap investment? Yikes.

I never said they’d squirrel it away either, did I?
    Emphasis mine.
    That made me giggle.
    I'm sure all the bankers at Northern Rock, Lehman, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, Iceland's banks etc. etc etc. said exactly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Here we go.... the next voyage of the HMS Pettifog. ALL ABOARD!

I’m a banker, so it’s fair to say I understand investments. It may seem like luck to you, I can assure you it isn’t to me (Enron wasn’t bad luck!). You said all that to agree watches are a crap investment? Yikes.

I never said they’d squirrel it away either, did I?
    I agree there was fraud and all types of malfeasance that led to Enron's failure. But it was considered a solid investment at the time, to the ordinary investor, the fact that this stock became worthless over night was bad luck. You can crunch numbers in an excel sheet and think about stock price to earnings ratios, and yes, if you educate yourself on these things, you can minimize risky investments, but there is always an element of luck in any investment.
    koolpep likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

But what about all my beanie babies?

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    Isn't that 'Cockney rhyming slang'? Don't be so hard on yourself.
    Can you spot your own?

(The Cockney Rhyming is ‘merchant banker’)
    My wish list - Rolex Sea-Dweller 116600, Omega Seamaster Chronograph 2594.52.00, IWC Big Pilot 5009, Breitling Chronomat Blackbird A13353, Rolex Explorer 214270.

We can agree to disagree, I think.
    My wish list - Rolex Sea-Dweller 116600, Omega Seamaster Chronograph 2594.52.00, IWC Big Pilot 5009, Breitling Chronomat Blackbird A13353, Rolex Explorer 214270.

I don’t work for any of those, nor have I. Probably why they aren’t bankers any more eh?

So, I'll just chime in by saying that treating just about anything as an investment requires substantial knowledge of the marketplace, the ebbs and flows, what it looks like to buy low and sell high, to correctly evaluate the risk involved, etc.

My observation is that a lot of people use 'it's an investment' not as a serious thing they're really looking to engage with and manage, but just as a check-box to make themselves feel better about a substantial purchase.

In my mind the thing to be really clear about is whether the investment aspect actually matters to you. If so, at least 99% of the people on this forum (including myself) lack the very specific and detailed knowledge of the watch marketplace to even begin to have that conversation with you in a meaningful way.

'Don't buy watches as an investment' is great advice, with the obvious follow-on being 'if you're going to attempt to buy watches as an investment, wait until you know enough that you have some chance of success, which is a VAST amount of knowledge'.
    d4nimal and PeteJ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chillwill120 View Post
    Wait, so other investments don't involve luck? You do realize that certain stocks, even those seen as blue chips, can become worthless when the company fails? Ever hear of Enron? Governments and companies that issue bonds can also fail and bonds, which are generally seen as safer bets, can become worthless. Remember 2008? If someone buys shares in an index fund, this is generally seen as safe, but there never guaranties and there is always luck coming into play, and many people are predicting another recession/crash coming. Am I suggesting that Omegas are superior investments to stocks/bonds? No of course not. However, if someone has a solid investment of stocks/bonds/real estate and wants to have a little fun with watches while also hoping to make a modest amount of money, I don't think it's a sin to spend a few grand on a vintage watch for that purpose.

Edit: He never said he would squirrel it away, he said he would wear it on occasion.
    I guess I'd say that buying what is generally a depreciating asset with the idea it's an investment is substantially different than stocks/bonds, which are at least notionally managed as investment vehicles, however much fluctuation there may be in a particular market.

Watches, cars, boats are all items that generally lose a substantial portion of their value over time - there absolutely ARE cars, boats and watches that end up appreciating and having collector value, but understanding which ones and what it is about them that brings and maintains that value is highly specialized knowledge.

Understanding that well enough to buy with even modest confidence that I'm buying at a time and price where it has a chance of meaningfully appreciating over time (or even maintaining its current value) and that I'd be positioned to take advantage of that is a really high bar.

2254 is the only Omega model I know that sells for more than when it was new.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information