Which Omega watch as an investment? - Page 4
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Which Omega watch as an investment?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 71
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    3
    I didn’t mean to start a war on here. But thanks for all the advice anyway. I already have plenty of investments and I thought I’d treat myself to another Omega watch, but one that has a chance of making a modest return after 10-20 years of ownership.

    I bought a new co-axial Seamaster 300m 10 years ago and, if I were sell it now, I’d certainly make money.

    However, I am in no way a watch expert. I can’t stand the thought of wearing a Rolex, even thought it would stand more chance of gaining in value. Far too cliche for me.

    I had assumed buying a used watch at least 10 years old would be wisest, rather than buying new.

    The Flightmaster appeals to me most, although I can see from the examples on sale that the face seems to suffer quite badly from colour change and fading (“patina?”) and the luminous markers also seem to go all mushy. That’s the only thing putting me off.

  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,369

    Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deanster View Post
    I guess I'd say that buying what is generally a depreciating asset with the idea it's an investment is substantially different than stocks/bonds, which are at least notionally managed as investment vehicles, however much fluctuation there may be in a particular market.

    Watches, cars, boats are all items that generally lose a substantial portion of their value over time - there absolutely ARE cars, boats and watches that end up appreciating and having collector value, but understanding which ones and what it is about them that brings and maintains that value is highly specialized knowledge.

    Understanding that well enough to buy with even modest confidence that I'm buying at a time and price where it has a chance of meaningfully appreciating over time (or even maintaining its current value) and that I'd be positioned to take advantage of that is a really high bar.
    I don't disagree with any of that. However, buy SS Rolex Sports and you've basically guaranteed a ROI (j/k...sort of).

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,369

    Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

    Quote Originally Posted by greengoddess View Post
    I didn’t mean to start a war on here. But thanks for all the advice anyway. I already have plenty of investments and I thought I’d treat myself to another Omega watch, but one that has a chance of making a modest return after 10-20 years of ownership.

    I bought a new co-axial Seamaster 300m 10 years ago and, if I were sell it now, I’d certainly make money.

    However, I am in no way a watch expert. I can’t stand the thought of wearing a Rolex, even thought it would stand more chance of gaining in value. Far too cliche for me.

    I had assumed buying a used watch at least 10 years old would be wisest, rather than buying new.

    The Flightmaster appeals to me most, although I can see from the examples on sale that the face seems to suffer quite badly from colour change and fading (“patina?”) and the luminous markers also seem to go all mushy. That’s the only thing putting me off.
    What about a "SHOM"? There are also many cool Speedmaster Mark 3s, 4s etc. that are pretty good values.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    130

    Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

    What does it cost to service a Ploprof these days?

    If we take a modest scenario where it does appreciate by, I don't know, 10-20% over 10-20 years, Would your servicing costs erase the gain? My money says: probably.

    I had to get the mainspring bushing done on my '57 Constellation calendar (cal. 504) which I did through my local, and excellent watch guy. Cost me CAD $300 for that job, which wasn't too bad. That being said the service was what... 10-15% of what I might be able to sell it for? I expect it'll run for another 10-15 years, but the 504 mainspring bushings are prone to wearing out. Rarity makes them interesting for people who know what they are, but still...
    2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Casio AW 300 Yacht Timer / Seiko Ana-Digi (H-556) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

  6. #35
    Member koolpep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dubai, UAE
    Posts
    703

    Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

    I would lower your expectations.

    Lots of Rolex watches loose value, some gain substantially. Most of other watch’s brands, excluding limited editions, do loose value, like all other products you buy and use.

    If you find a nice Omega and manage to get a decent discount, you won’t loose that much. It’s still worth quite a bit if you were to sell it.

    My advice: take half your budget put it in a separate investment vehicle of your choice, enjoy the “watch fund growing” from the other half buy the watch you really want and just enjoy it guilt free and free from constantly worrying about its resell value.

    Cheers.

    Watches in profile....

  7. #36
    Member anonymousmoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    8,786

    Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

    Given topic raised, I thought I'd ask for your opinions

    How do you all think this watch will fair in the medium to long term financially?

    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/om...cs-introducing


  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,369

    Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

    I would expect it to hold value as well as other POs but wouldn't expect any huge increase in value. Special Edition POs don't seem to have the same cache as special edition Speedys. Also, sporting event related Seamasters (e.g. America's Cup) don't seem particularly desireable.

    Quote Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
    Given topic raised, I thought I'd ask for your opinions

    How do you all think this watch will fair in the medium to long term financially?

    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/om...cs-introducing


  9. #38
    Member jordangbj@aol.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,644

    Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

    I'll just say this.
    If someone had spent 100k on 50 early production Speedmasters fifteen years ago, they would be multi-millionaires if they sold them at today's market values.
    In 2004 you could buy a very nice Ed White for around £1000, 105.012's were around the £8-900 mark. Racing dial Speedies were mere oddities then.
    Try finding a half decent 105.003 for less than £12k today. Or a 2915 for less than 70k.
    rfortson likes this.

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    107

    Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

    Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    I'd not buy any watch with the hope of it becoming a viable investment.
    Even buying a Rolex, is no guarantee that it will become a worthwhile investment.
    Saying that, I think you are probably more likely to have a future investment potential, if you own a SS Rolex, rather than most Omega's.
    While I prefer Omegas, this is probably the most accurate response.
    HiggsBoson likes this.

  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    107

    Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

    Quote Originally Posted by chillwill120 View Post
    I would expect it to hold value as well as other POs but wouldn't expect any huge increase in value. Special Edition POs don't seem to have the same cache as special edition Speedys. Also, sporting event related Seamasters (e.g. America's Cup) don't seem particularly desireable.
    Though the color scheme on this one is quite unique and attractive. Tough to say.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •