Which Omega watch as an investment? - Page 6
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Which Omega watch as an investment?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

Quote Originally Posted by NTJW View Post
    Those are not catergorically watches though

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    I know i know, but OP seems to prioritize the "investment" part over the fun of the hobby.
    In order I have obtained
    > Seiko Chronograph SNA013P The Great Blue l Chopard Mille Miglia GTXL Rosso Corsa l Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue Monte Carlo
    Seiko 5 SNXF01K1 Silver Fox l Seiko 5 - SNKP21J1 Middle East Edition l Longines Heritage 180th Anniversary Chrono
    Omega - Speedmaster Pro Project Alaska l G-Shock - G-9000MX-8 Mudman l Seiko Prospex SRPB51J1 Samurai
    Grand Seiko SBGJ227 Peacock l G-Shock GMWB5000GD-9

My Reviews: Eulit Perlon Strap / Tudor Rubber Strap - Vanguard

"Investment" can mean alot to many. It has become the buzzword on the forums but you need to define the expectations of what the word "investment" means. If you buy a higher end Omega on the preowned market, you probably will never get hurt if you need to flip it in a few years. Buying at MSRP will change things a lot if a immediate change of heart and you want out. Fortunately its easy to negotiate way below msrp on a new Omega time piece. This is where the real "investment" lies with owning a new outstanding timepiece that will feel and perform like its worth twice what you paid. (This is the "investment" that is never spoken of in the last few years.)

Watches are a luxury/lifestyle purchase so anything beyond that only matters if you want to sell them. IMO, the newbies are focusing all on the later part of the above statement and not enough on the first part. Buy what you love and you wont have to worry about a selling strategy.
    Last edited by Mystro; 2 Weeks Ago at 19:41.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
    "Investment" can mean alot to many. It has become the buzzword on the forums but you need to define the expectations of what the word "investment" means. If you buy a higher end Omega on the preowned market, you probably will never get hurt if you need to flip it in a few years. Buying at MSRP will change things a lot if a immediate change of heart and you want out. Fortunately its easy to negotiate way below msrp on a new Omega time piece. This is where the real "investment" lies with owning a new outstanding timepiece that will feel and perform like its worth twice what you paid. (This is the "investment" that is never spoken of in the last few years.)

Watches are a luxury/lifestyle purchase so anything beyond that only matters if you want to sell them. IMO, the newbies are focusing all on the later part of the above statement and not enough on the first part. Buy what you love and you wont have to worry about a selling strategy.
    I agree with much of this -- but IMO the days of negotiating a price "way below" MSRP on a new Omega, particularly a popular model like an AT, Seamaster 300 or Speedy, are already in the rear-view for many and receding fast for the rest. Omega's pricing strategy is clearly upwards, and that's reflected in the boutiques and ADs. YMMV, of course,
    fskywalker likes this.

I don't look watches as an investments, but… sometimes you get lucky. I bought Speedmaster Apollo XV 35th Limited edition maybe 5 years ago for 3500€. Sold it 1 month ago (didn't get much wrist time and dial was really hard to read with my old eyes) to finance my incoming Rolex Datejust 41. Asked 7000€ and sold it for 6500€.
    Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.39.21.03.001 "Skyfall" - Rolex GMT master II BLNR
    Omega Speedmaster apollo XV 3366.51.00 - Omega Speedmaster Professional 3594.50 1957 Reissue
    Seiko "Spork" SPR043K1, Certina Bristol 230, Certina Bristol 290
    Tissot Stylist 18K,Fortis Marinemaster, 50´s, and few vintage Omegas

There are some enthusiasts who collection and invest.

I know of one financier who buys Rolex, likes them and researches which models are in demand. He took a look at my Omega and dismissed it as a poor financial decision.

I tend to buy with the heart passing up a Rolex twice now, for watches I loved more. If I went with my head (Rolex), I'd have made a substantial profit if sold today. But I don't regret my decision.

As long as I can get the vast bulk of my cash back if I ever was forced to sell, I'm contempt with buying what I love.

Not sure any watch is a good investment. In days past perhaps Rolex but at their current high-watermark prices I’m not sure. Also I believe interest in mechanical watches will eventually decline in this generation of tech (yes they survived quartz and the Apple watch but I’m not sure how many more hits mechanicals can take). In Omega I’d guess a limited edition Speedy would probably hold value best. Others here know far more than I.

Cheers,
    NM

Which Omega watch as an investment?

Quote Originally Posted by nm4710 View Post
    Not sure any watch is a good investment. In days past perhaps Rolex but at their current high-watermark prices I’m not sure. Also I believe interest in mechanical watches will eventually decline in this generation of tech (yes they survived quartz and the Apple watch but I’m not sure how many more hits mechanicals can take). In Omega I’d guess a limited edition Speedy would probably hold value best. Others here know far more than I.

Cheers,
    NM
    A Quartz lasts almost forever. A good mechanical will last forever. A smart watch lasts only as long the hardware is compatible with the software.

Mechanical watches are forever timepieces, designed by craftsmen. They are a luxury item.

A smart watch is designed to last some years until it's obsolete. As mechanical watches, some can be made of precious metals with exquisite design, but it will still only last as long as the software is compatible.

That's why mechanical watches will remain desirable, just like a ring and other jewellery.
    Last edited by anonymousmoose; 1 Week Ago at 13:56.
    Kirkawall and pikeman like this.

Oh I agree they can last forever...but interest in them will likely decline and take resale value with it. Right now interest is buoyed by an excellent economy and at least 2 generations that enjoy watches.

Cheers,
    NM

PO 2500: I think they're all holding value or appreciating slightly, the LM LE even moreso

Speedie Reduced: I have personal experience with a 3510.50 but they all seem to be rocketing up in value over the last few years.

Speedie Pro: May not appreciate much but they seem to hold value like nobody's business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In the collection:
    β SuperOcean Héritage A1732124
    Ω Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50
    Seiko Day-Date 7N43-8A39 (inherited)
    Guess WaterPro Chronograph 42mm (whole lot of history)

In the garage:

Carrera 3.2 Targa (toy)
    F10 5-Series (daily)
    Audi Q3 (hers)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information