Which Omega watch as an investment?
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Which Omega watch as an investment?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Hi,

I'm thinking of spending up to £5k on an Omega watch as an investment/occasional wearer.
    Any advice on which Omega models are most likely to gain in value?

My personal favourites as far as style and function are as follows:

1. Flightmaster
    2. Ploprof
    3. Speedmaster day/date

I'd appreciate any advice.
    igaxll likes this.

Re: Which Omega watch as an investment?

People are gonna come in and say "don't buy watches as investments, blah blah blah". But what's wrong with buying something that you can use and enjoy while also having a chance that it will increase in value? Sure you can buy stocks but there is also no guaranty there either and stock is not as fun. I think the flightmaster is a bargain for a gmt/chrono with a funky and interesting design. I don't think they will shoot up in value but I think there is a chance it does increase modestly. I really like the vintage seamaster with the blue dial, white chapter ring, and subdials at 6 and 9. I think it's reference 176.007.
    brandon\ and lastshotkid like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoddess View Post
    Hi,

I'm thinking of spending up to £5k on an Omega watch as an investment/occasional wearer.

1. Flightmaster
    2. Ploprof
    3. Speedmaster day/date

Doesn't fit with your aesthetic at all but a pie pan conny from 50's/60's with crosshair dial at a modest price is a good investment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Out of those three watches I'd say the flightmaster's got the most propensity to go up in value and it's definitely the best looking.

Hi,

1. Flightmaster
    2. Ploprof
    3. Speedmaster day/date

Anyone who tells you any Omega will be a worthy investment is a plum. They’re like cars - the moment you buy one and walk out of the door with it, you lose a huge chunk of the value. You will then wait years, literally years - we’re talking at the very least five, probably more before you even break even on the original purchase price through inflation and minimal appreciation.

So don’t buy it to be an investment “blah, blah, blah” (strange how truth has become unpopular in recent years!), but the one you like and wear it. Otherwise, stick five grand in an ISA or a five year bond.
    My wish list - Rolex Sea-Dweller 116600, Omega Seamaster Chronograph 2594.52.00, IWC Big Pilot 5009, Breitling Chronomat Blackbird A13353, Rolex Explorer 214270.

Thanks all, I'm still unsure about this whole thing but I'm glad you like the Flightmaster. It's my favourite.

Within the last couple of years, the only real appreciating Omegas were the Omega PO 2500 LiquidMetal LE, Speedmaster Silver Snoopy, and Speedmaster Alaska Project...... out of how many watches do they make? Just buy what you like and if it grows in value, cool. If not, still cool because you wore a cool watch.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

If you want to see appreciation, you have to go vintage. I don’t really follow the price fluctuations in Omegas, but tritium Speedmasters seem to be doing ok. But I wouldn’t build a portfolio around Omega in general 😀. You have better chances with vintage Rolex and Patek.

Quote Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
    Within the last couple of years, the only real appreciating Omegas were the Omega PO 2500 LiquidMetal LE, Speedmaster Silver Snoopy, and Speedmaster Alaska Project...... out of how many watches do they make? Just buy what you like and if it grows in value, cool. If not, still cool because you wore a cool watch.
    Others currently retaining or increasing in value include the Seamaster Spectre Edition, and Speedmasters Japan Racing, Mitsukoshi, Snoopy Award, Apollo 11 35th and 50th Anniversary models, and both Speedy Tuesday references; however, in order to have realised those gains, you would have had to bought them at retail and then hoped for the best. Also, £5,000 probably won’t buy you any of those now, except maybe the Spectre.

Maybe, just maybe, your best bet is to participate in the online crapshoot for the Speedy Tuesday 3 when that is due to happen, and hope that watch is as well received as the first one.
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Hi,

1. Flightmaster
    2. Ploprof
    3. Speedmaster day/date

Anyone who tells you any Omega will be a worthy investment is a plum. They’re like cars - the moment you buy one and walk out of the door with it, you lose a huge chunk of the value. You will then wait years, literally years - we’re talking at the very least five, probably more before you even break even on the original purchase price through inflation and minimal appreciation.

So don’t buy it to be an investment “blah, blah, blah” (strange how truth has become unpopular in recent years!), but the one you like and wear it. Otherwise, stick five grand in an ISA or a five year bond.
    Sorry but this is not strictly true. I'd agree on most brand new Omegas (unless you're lucky to get a very limited edition speedmaster) but if you're smart/lucky you can make an educated guess which vintage watches will retain or increase in value. I assumed that the OP meant vintage versions of all three of those watches listed.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information