Opinions please on my first Omega

Thread: Opinions please on my first Omega

Opinions please on my first Omega

I took a stab on my first Omega and now I'm keen to get some advice about it as I have hit a couple of snags.

What I do know:
    It has a 26.5 caliber and think that it is a T3. In one of the photos you can see a "5" and a "T" under the hairspring but I can't see any more than that. I don't know if it is the PC or the PC AM or just the T3.

The serial number is 10096897 which probably dates it to 1944.

Measures approximately 29mm not including crown.

16mm lugs

Snags:
    The case number - 2224 - does not come up on the Omega Vintage database. I am aware that the database is not 100% complete - what is the likelyhood that this could be one that they do not have. If not, where might this case have come from as the markings look pretty good?

Whether the dial is an original or not. I have not seen anything like it on the internet. Do the markings look original? I have taken a close up of the "swiss made" at the bottom of the dial.

All 3 hands have clearly been repainted black. I have seen these same hands in the midnight blue before.

Finally, I would love any advice about what to do about the slight corosion on the movement and also about the painted hands. I paid $200 for it? Did I get taken???

Name:  DSCF4482.JPG
Views: 617
Size:  209.9 KB

Name:  DSCF4489.JPG
Views: 615
Size:  159.3 KB

Name:  DSCF4488-1.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  181.7 KB

Name:  DSCF4472.JPG
Views: 618
Size:  146.3 KB

Name:  DSCF4517.JPG
Views: 599
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  DSCF4490.JPG
Views: 622
Size:  228.3 KB

Name:  DSCF4510.JPG
Views: 602
Size:  201.0 KB

Name:  DSCF4511.JPG
Views: 590
Size:  182.8 KB

Name:  DSCF4514.JPG
Views: 596
Size:  195.4 KB

Name:  DSCF4516.JPG
Views: 593
Size:  171.5 KB

Name:  DSCF4515.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  158.5 KB
    Last edited by samanderson; October 14th, 2011 at 05:35.

Re: Opinions please on my first Omega

I did a little quick searching on the julesborel.com website. According to their parts database, the correct movement for the Ref. 2224 is the cal. 100, which was the post-1949 name for the cal. 26,5 T3. So the movement looks correct.

Case looks to be all correct and original as does the dial. The tip-off is the split location of "Swiss Made" at 5 and 7 o'clock and the sideways orientation of the "15" and "45" on the subdial. These were 1940's styling cues for Omega.

I believe that the hands on these were painted rather than blued. I have an similar watch where the hands have tiny scrape marks that would not be there if they were blued.

Looks like a very nice original Omega from the mid-1940's,
    gatorcpa

Same, looks original.
    I am in my sports/diver phase (which I do not think I will outgrow anytime soon, but I have always had a hunger for a traditional style in the way of an IWC or vintage Omega.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice watch, samanderson. Get that bad boy on a sweet leather strap and enjoy!

LP
    Last edited by LemonPie; October 14th, 2011 at 02:38.

Thanks gatorcpa for all the information. I was very surprised to read that you believe the dial to be orginial, but very pleased as well! I wasn't quite sure what you meant about the hands. Do you mean that they are original? Why is there a blue colour showing through in places?

Does anyone have an idea what this watch might be worth? I have looked at completed listings on ebay but that didn't really help as there are only a couple on there.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonPie View Post
    Get that bad boy on a sweet leather strap and enjoy!

LP
    Thanks LP. I fully intend to!

Quote Originally Posted by samanderson View Post
    Thanks gatorcpa for all the information. I was very surprised to read that you believe the dial to be orginial, but very pleased as well! I wasn't quite sure what you meant about the hands. Do you mean that they are original? Why is there a blue colour showing through in places?
    Here a picture of my example. Note the slight scrape marks on the minutes hand:

I think the hands are steel (maybe treated to resist rust, but not blued) painted black. This was common in the 1930's and '40's.

Does anyone have an idea what this watch might be worth? I have looked at completed listings on ebay but that didn't really help as there are only a couple on there.
    I purchased my watch on eBay for under $300 late last year. I see asking prices all over the board, some over $1,000. They are very attractive, but rather small for today's tastes. I'd say value is on the lower end due to the size.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Thanks gatorcpa, you have been very helpful. Thanks also for the pic - it's a very nice looking watch. I agree that the watch is quite small but the more I wear it the more I get used to the size.

I can see the scrape marks on the minute hand, however the colour underneath looks, as you say, like steel. If you look at mine the colour underneath looks blue, especially on the subsecond. I don't know anything about blued hands - why was it done on some hands?

How's yours for accuracy? I have been testing mine for the past couple of days but haven't yet got a clear picture. I got 36.5 hours PR which was good.

I can see the scrape marks on the minute hand, however the colour underneath looks, as you say, like steel. If you look at mine the colour underneath looks blue, especially on the subsecond. I don't know anything about blued hands - why was it done on some hands?
    The blueing was done mostly to prevent rust, I think. It is possible that on mine, the scrape marks go through the layer of blued metal to the base underneath. It's not very noticeable, and I intend to leave it exactly as is.

How's yours for accuracy? I have been testing mine for the past couple of days but haven't yet got a clear picture. I got 36.5 hours PR which was good.
    I was recently invited to a "meet and greet" at my local Omega Boutique with one of the New York location's staff watchmakers. I brought this one because I had not seen the movement before. He opened it up and put it on a timing machine. He said the movement had been recently serviced, and that it was running at under +5 per day. He also measured the lift angle and amplitute to be within factory specs (which he had to look up online, as he had never seen one of these before).

I think my power reserve is a little higher than 36 hours, but that is likely due to the fresh oil.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Thread Information