Personal Review: Speedmaster 3594.50
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Personal Review: Speedmaster 3594.50

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

So, I had my fair share of Speedmasters along the way of my watch collecting, from the "racing" dial, the "moonphase" dial, the Apollo 11 panda dial, and so forth, and a few "regular" Speedy Pros, but none have stuck with me, it just didn't feel to be the right one for me.

After a while, and after a few more Speedmasters gone by, namely the FOIS and another "regular", a year ago I settled on one Speedmaster that I think is "the one".

Welcome the Speedmaster 3594.50, a.k.a The Replica.

Name:  DSC09124.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  27.0 KB

Its is probably one of the most horrible nickname a Speedmaster ever had, one must wonder why it was ever given the name.

Purists might argue that this Speedmaster is neither a pro, nor a moonwatch, and they are correct at that, the dial bears no such word, neither does the caseback.

However, the less is more term works for me, the dial feels less crowded, to me.

I have always wanted to like the FOIS, BUT the strange 19mm lug width is annoying to me, some people say wear it with a 20mm, or buy 19mm straps etc etc. But I personally have a huge collection of 20mm strap, that I dont want to force in to a 19mm lug, because it damages them, and when I want to put that strap on other watches, they become distorted. Picky, yes.

I also like the applied old font logo, and the steel bezel. I find it to be very very appealing. The broad arrow steel hands adds an extra dressier feel compared to the regular speedmasters. Something I personally prefer.

I also like the fact that the dial is gray-er than the regular speedy pros, not sure because of how mine has aged, or it came with a slight colour variation from the start.

It does of course wear well, just like any other speedmasters, but I personally fine that this one, wears a bit smaller. This is due to the illusion of the steel bezel, instead of the black aluminium insert bezel, makes the dial looks smaller. The regular ones appear larger because the dial seems to "extend" to the dial at times. Some people view it differently, of course.

And awkwardly, it works with endlinks too, at times I like to just be fun and put my 1601 endlinks, this makes the case look fuller, and larger.

Just like any other Speedmasters as well, this one loves a strapchange play, I can match it with almost any kind of strap, material, colour, and natos. If someone wants a one watch collection, the Speedmaster is definitely high on that list. Easy to dress up or down, and easy to wear on whatever occassion. However with its acrylic crystal, and it being a chronograph, I dont suggest swimming or heavy duty work and sports while wearing one.

One this unique on these reference, the earlier ones to be exact, it has a tapered bracelet. Now, I have voiced out quite a few times both in forums or real life, that I really dislike the choice of Omega's bracelet on Seamasters or Speedmasters, they are straight, and chunky, and the fact the links are elliptically shaped, makes it look plumpy.

However, this version gives a taper down to 18mm, while many may say 2mm is a small difference, I digress. I think its a huge difference and it makes the watch look more elegant and refined and less bulky.

Another small but very significant bonus to me, this bracelet version has a micro adjustment feature!! I really hate Omega's bracelet because of the non-existent microadjustment feature in most of their bracelets. Im not sure they omitted it just to force people to buy extra half-links, or they think somehow having microadjustment is not necessary.

Albeit its only one, but it is really really useful when the weather changes and your wrists grows or shrinks. And you can switch it with a toothpick.

Overall, I have had this one for a while now, and I think I can safely say that this is it, its the Speedmaster that I really like.

Some people may of course still prefer the regulars, and by their own right, they are sharp looking as well, and I might add they are sportier and more a tool-watch like compared to this one.

But such is the appeal and everlasting design of the Speedmaster, there is no "wrong choice", they are all fantastic, there is only "the right choice for me".

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NTJW; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:44.

Re: Personal Review: Speedmaster 3594.50

Nice write up! I've always loved that model, and agree with many of your points.

I enjoyed the review. I’m still on the fence about picking up a Speedy. I’ve always like SS bezels so maybe this is the one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the review and glad you have the Speedy that works for you.

Nigel

I really enjoyed you write up. I've been looking at these for a while and really appreciate your insight.

Thanks for the kind words. Getting a Speedmaster is actually really finicky, its easier to pick out a Seamaster or Submariner actually.

The Speedmaster has an almost too vast of a combination that spans over so many years, sometimes I see "new" old models that I didnt thought existed.

But, as many many stated, cant go wrong with a Speedmaster!

I think the 3594 is an incredibly underrated watch! Per the name, with the 1861 movement, hesalite crystal, 2915-inspired dial and the asymmetrical professional case, I refer to this model as the ‘remix’. Thank you for the write up and pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xavier_chang; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:14.
    Lou P likes this.

Great review and a model that is little known to me. It looks excellent, and glad you found just the one that suits you. Has a very vintage appeal, without the faux patina on the hands and markers like my Trilogy, and I admittedly prefer without the faux patina. Well done!

Cheers,
    Carl
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Thanks Xavier, a remix sounds really nice. If there is one thing I could change in this edition would be the straight lugs, but thats it lol. An exhibition case back wouldnt hurt.

Carl, some people prefer non faux lume, but I think the 60th trilogy works real swell, the only thing that deters me from getting one is again the 19mm lug width, as well as the price.

A excellent review and fine photos.

Despite being discontinued for many years it is still listed on the Omega site (as discontinued). The 3594.50 was my first Speedmaster and I still wear it often. It is a lovely watch.

And yes, the dial is a very dark gray.

Name:  359450_006_1024.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  171.0 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information