Please help, sell or not?
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Please help, sell or not?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused Please help, sell or not?

Hi,
    I have grey Aqua Terra (41mm), with Co Axial 8500 movement. I bought that watch in 2012.

It will probably soon go to service (nothing wrong with it but regular service). Now I got idea that I could maybe buy new Aqua Terra Master Chornometar and to sell "old" one.
    What do you think about it. Is it worth, in your opinion, to do such swap just to get new watch. I know that probably it is not necessary if you are not into watches...

I still like my "old" Aqua Terra and I have no reason to change it but also on the other side new one is really nice and would like to have new movement too.
    I can't decide what I like more: time spent with my old watch which will soon be 10 years or getting new watch with newer watch with new movement. Would it be waste of money or maybe not bad investment (new one holds better value?)

I would probably go in that direction but one thing really bothers me, and that is finding buyer for my current watch. So do you maybe know if any AD would take used watches and deduct price of new one for its value (like buying new car?). I would even accept lower price just not to have to sell it privately. If you know any AD form Europe that is willing to do so please let me know.

Also what is realistic price that one could get from AD (or OB) in Europe if I decide to buy new Aqua Terra?
    And what would be realistic price to expect for my used AT, which is probably due to service soon. I checked chrono24 and I see that it is in range of 2.700 - 3.500€.
    fskywalker likes this.
    One and only: Aqua Terra 8900

Re: Please help, sell or not?

I thought the service interval for co-axial is around 10 years. At least, that's the pitch when they announced it.

IMO, there aren't performance issues, I wouldn't service it. If it doesn't need service, you shouldn't factor that in to any "savings" rationale.
    fskywalker likes this.

If you are gonna do the swap, I would suggest that you should only do it because you have fallen out of love with your current watch.

As for value you are gonna get a kick in the wallet from a dealer who will only offer you 50% of the true value of the watch, as he will need to re finish and service it and make a profit when he sells it on.

So sell it privately, and Guage the selling price from the bay or Chrono 24, but remember most watches on there are at dealer prices, with warranty’s.
    anonymousmoose and fskywalker like this.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If your AT has a date window frame, there is no way I would flip it for Master Chornometer AT.
    rfortson and fskywalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by v1triol View Post
    If your AT has a date window frame, there is no way I would flip it for Master Chornometer AT.
    Yup, that is the version I have. Why you would not change it. I also think that I like more version with window, but I always think that "newer is better" so that is why I started to think to replace it.

I am prone to those marketing tricks and for example I am convinced that Master Chronometar would be better than my 8500 even I never get to magnetize it or something. But it is my problem but luckily I am aware of it :)
    fskywalker likes this.
    One and only: Aqua Terra 8900

I would keep the one you have, nothing wrong with the 8500.
    OBB1044 likes this.
    Ω Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Calendar Q1558420

Unless you want a different color, I'd hold off. I think you're wallet will take a beating trading your old watch toward a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by double View Post
    I would keep the one you have, nothing wrong with the 8500.
    I second this
    OBB1044 likes this.

I'd keep it. The silver date window was the reason I got one in the past.
    OBB1044 and fskywalker like this.
    |Ω

I'd keep your current watch. I had a similar situation except I have a black dial 38.5mm AT with the 8500 movement. I was looking at an AT Master Chronometer but decided to keep my watch. When I had them side by side I liked the date window frame and the date at the 3 o'clock position. I also liked the teak pattern going vertical versus horizontal. I will say that I did like the Master Chronometer's bracelet better than mine. As a note, the AT Master Chronometer I was looking at was 2nd hand at an AD. The original owner bought it from the AD and brought it back a year later to trade up for another watch if I recall correctly. Anyway, it had 4 years left on the Omega warranty and was less expensive than new so you don't take as much of a depreciation hit.
    OBB1044 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information