PO 8900 Bezel Alignment
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PO 8900 Bezel Alignment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PO 8900 Bezel Alignment

Hi all,

As posted a few weeks ago I recently picked up an Omega Planet Ocean 8900. Though I sort of noticed it before leaving the AD, I wasn't entirely sure if it was actually misaligned or my eyes were just playing tricks on me. Well I have come to realize and now notice every time I look at it that my bezel is in fact ever so slghtly misaligned to the left. After some research it appears that this can be corrected sometimes with a bezel spring replacement. So this morning I drove about an hour to the Omega boutique since it was 1) half hour closer than my AD and 2) i figured they may be better equipped to help me.

I showed my watch to the salesman and he said unfortunately most bezels are slightly off and theres not much we can do about it. He said they could try to replace the bezel spring to see if that helped but their watchmaker is out on vacation for another week and a half. Being that I work at least 60 hours every week and the watchmaker wont be in next time I am off, the next time I can make it back to the boutique is 2 weeks from today.

Is it realistic to expect that I can get this problem solved once I do in fact get the bezel spring replaced? If it doesn't align after the first try will trying a second or even third bezel spring make a difference (i.e. do the bezel springs have some variability as well). Should I go to a different boutique (also about an hour away) and see if they can give me a more solid yes we'll get this straightened out for you type answer? The one I went to didn't seem to be confident or want to put much effort into helping me get this squared away. Do most authorized retailers have the tools to fix something like this and should I have just gone there first? I kind of feel like I made the mistake of not being sure before leaving the AD, I hope this is something that can be fixed somehow. Please let me know your thoughts.

Re: PO 8900 Bezel Alignment

Photo?

It's hard to get a good photo and obviously it depends on the angle of the camera relative to the watch how it's gonna look but it is definitely slightly off.. it's very minor but it's enough to bother me on a watch I paid over 5k for

Name:  Omega PO 8900 4.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  4.36 MB
    Last edited by Diablogt90; 1 Week Ago at 02:05.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe it’s the 12 o’clock marker that is off....

Either way, it looks perfect to me and messing with it will probably produce more pain than happiness.
    gumpy_999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
    Maybe it’s the 12 o’clock marker that is off....

Either way, it looks perfect to me and messing with it will probably produce more pain than happiness.
    It's definitely off. The 12 o'clock marker looks perfectly centered to me, I had already considered that. Also the top bezel marker being off translates to all the rest of the markers being slightly to the left as well. I considered that maybe if I had the spring changed it could get worse but I feel I need to at least give it a shot, I am a bit nervous of it getting worse though.

It definitely looks off to me. The main knurled outer bezel looks centered but the black numbered insert looks off center.

On other watches from other brands I’ve seen this is fixed by removing the bezel insert from the bezel and then reinstalling it into the bezel.

It can definitely be fixed. And you are correct... you spent a lot of money on that watch make them fix it for you. That is not acceptable on a timepiece at this price point.

(And I can tell you this... if you don’t get it fixed it will always bother you and be a blemish on your ownership experience.)

Quote Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
    It definitely looks off to me. The main knurled outer bezel looks centered but the black numbered insert looks off center.

On other watches from other brands I’ve seen this is fixed by removing the bezel insert from the bezel and then reinstalling it into the bezel.

It can definitely be fixed. And you are correct... you spent a lot of money on that watch make them fix it for you. That is not acceptable on a timepiece at this price point.

(And I can tell you this... if you don’t get it fixed it will always bother you and be a blemish on your ownership experience.)
    I agree the knurling is centered and everything else about the watch is perfect, its just the insert that is slightly off. I know they don't all come like this as my 8500 was dead on. Should I try to get the bezel insert reinstalled or do you think I should stick with bezel spring. Seems the bezel spring if it aligns the marker will then cause the bezel itself to be slightly off which would just cause another issue. Reinstalling the insert seems like the best option as you have said. Is this something that the boutique can do? Or maybe even my authorized dealer can do? I know I won't know if my authorized dealer can do this unless I personally ask, I'm just not sure if in your experience if its something authorized dealers can generally do or if it required specialized tools that only a boutique is likely to have.

Just tell them what you aren’t happy about, the outer bezel is centered and the insert isn’t. Then let them fix it.

Most likely they would fix it by installing a new bezel assembly. This is the quickest fix, just pop off the whole bezel and replace it with a new one. (Insert and all.)

I would not get into a discussion about bezel springs and nonsense like that. The watch was bought new and deserves a guaranteed new solution not messing around with springs trying to rig a fix, and risking scratches and damage with each trial and error swap.
    Diablogt90 likes this.

I must be the only one that embraces small imperfections as a sign that a human being assembled these pieces of mechanical art.
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going

There is no guarantee replacing bezels, bezel springs or inserts is going to result in a ‘perfect’ appearance (this discussion has been had many times here on WUS and the outcomes of interventions). Obviously feel free if it really annoys you, but even someone with my OCD tendencies has got used to minor misalignments on all my diver watches with bezels either new or after a general service after 5-10 years of ownership. I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction or come to accept the idiosyncrasies that make this watch unique to you.

Nigel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information