WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

PO Seamaster Clasp faulty or not?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Andy H 
#1 ·
If I pull my PO clasp away from my wrist at the end without the Omega symbol it pops open no matter how the divers extension is clipped in! I am aware that you need to tuck the divers clip in to the buckle first at one end but this makes no difference, is this faulty our is it just a Characteristic of the buckle? :think:

#3 ·
Not faulty.

You are pulling on the diver extension end of the clasp, and that is held closed by friction. If you weren't wearing the watch, that is the same movement you'd make to deploy the extension. You are consciously pulling that side of the clasp open, correct? If so, then you don't have anything to worry about. The clasp is fine. Even if that side of the clasp separates while you are wearing it, the rest of the clasp will stay secured, which will not allow the extension to be, well, extended. I would only be worried if that side of the clasp was working itself loose on its own, without you pulling on it.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input guys, you are correct in what you say it does pop up but you can't deploy the divers extension and you can also push it back down too while on the wrist. I was worried because I don't seem to have to pull that hard and it pops up. I must admit I never noticed it before, maybe it's just that it's loosening up over time? :-s

#9 ·
I'm afraid what you have is a faulty clasp. I just bought PO 45.5 black bezel with orange numerals (2200.5100?) three weeks ago, with an exchanged clasp (actually the locking mechanism only that is hidden) from a blue seamaster chrono!

I tried all the PO's available in the AD, BUT ALL THE LOCKS SEEMED FAULTY. But being desperate to going home that night with a PO on my wrist, I asked the AD if they could exchange the locks of the PO and the SM Chrono. I'm lucky they did.

#11 · (Edited)
I have to agree with AAP on this....
I am not wearing my PO today but am wearing my Seamaster GMT and it does the exact same thing as described here (ie I can pull on the other side of the clasp and unlock the dive extension - but it will not extend unless I open the regular side of the clasp to 'deploy' the dive extension. I can also re-close/re-lock the dive extension by pushing back on it).

It makes logical sense to me that the clasp was designed this way. I have seen other diver's watches that advertise and make a big deal about their clasps being able to be extended (dive extension) in one movement or step (ie simply being able to pull the clasp away from the wrist with the other hand and have the entire dive extension links deploy or extend without having to unlock or remove the other side of the clasp). This is touted as a benefit while diving and wearing gloves and not having to use both hands to mess with or unlock the dive extension for a wet suit.

#13 ·
It´s perfectly normal. You can only pull open the diver extension a little, but it obviously can´t completely open unless you open the main clasp. I can open mine but it will pop back closed again when I press down on it. And it won´t open without pulling on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.