Poor Omega quality... - Page 4
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Poor Omega quality...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Poor Omega quality...

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    According to Archer, these watches are inspected by an 'unaided' eye at a distance of 30 cm. (If I remember correctly). If the imperfection cannot be seen, it's within Omega tolerances.
    'We' just look too closely at these watches, I'm terrible for it. I don't know why I do it, I really don't.
    Whenever I look at my watches with a loupe, I find something, I wish I hadn't seen!
    Long thread on OF which I started. For most mid-tier luxury brands (Omega, Rolex, etc), inspection distance is 30cm (about a foot away), no magnification, 5500K lighting. If a flaw can't be seen from that distance, its acceptable for a new watch.

Nothing is perfect if you use a high enough magnification.

Update:

I sent the watch back to the Swatch Group, New Jersey. The issue has been escalated to HQ and we're waiting for a final decision on what to do what my watch.

Update:

I sent the watch back to the Swatch Group, New Jersey. The issue has been escalated to HQ and we're waiting for a final decision on what to do what my watch.
    Pharm_D likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Strapsgalore View Post
    Update:

I do think you should get a new watch and don't settle for anything less. Its not your fault the watch you were given was defective and the company should make amends for the mistake. Its not like they have a shortage of these watches and they're not losing anything by taking the watch back. It will probably be sold to an Omega employee during a scratch and dent sale for 80% off.

Watch replacement the only acceptable outcome.

This is outrageous...

The general consensus seems to be most mid tier luxury brands quality control consists of checking with unaided eyes at 30cm. If we extrapolate, entry level watch would be inspected by the nose from 30 feet.
    Granted nothing is perfect at high enough magnification but at Omega's price range, you shouldn't see any imperfections with the naked eye (no matter how close you pull it to your eye) and it's really not too much to ask to not get a defective product. Never the less, mistakes do happen and some do slip by but they need to pull up their socks and accept responsibility. You deserve a new watch. They have an opportunity here to retain a customer for many years and they shouldn't mess it up especially when you aren't being unreasonable.
    I wish you all the best OP.
    WHAT !?!? -Lil Jon.

RPF

Nothing OP can do if Omega decides otherwise. But this is a simple fix at a good watchmaker. A bit of welding and polish, probably $1-200. The groove will be filled and refinished as new.

Omega will probably replace the bracelet, given it's an obvious defect.

No biggie.

Please remember these may be "heirloom" pieces to the average person but they are the cheapest watches made in their hundreds of thousands every year by Omega and Rolex. They do not receive the same amount of TLC that we like to think "luxury" deserves. The true attention to detail is reserved for the upper tier models, LEs--basically, models they can sell for no discount at the high five figures or more.

This is a mass-manufacture product, and one gets mass-manufacture service. Omega has millions of customers to take care of in this segment, not tens of thousands.

I don't mean to be rude but that's the plain, unvarnished truth.
    rfortson and Minorcollector like this.

Quote Originally Posted by qa_ii View Post
    From a QA standpoint, if that bracelet was in the state shown, with the offending endlink component either fixed and protruding as shown or loose and transitioning in and out of the position it is shown in, it never should have made it through an in-process inspection of the link (if such an inspection exists in the manufacturing process) or the final inspection of the assembled bracelet at the facility where the bracelets are manufactured. At my company, we have crazy traceability on our processes, and that noncomformance, if reported, would be traced all the way back to the original lot of components or bracelets and a CAPA (corrective and preventative action) would be initiated to ensure this did not happen again. Just an experienced quality professional's 2¢ on how quality assurance should work.
    It's funny, in my business (nuclear engineering), we often talk about "Swiss watch tolerances" on component sizes most conveniently measured in meters... it's strangely comforting to see even the sorcerers in die Schweiz aren't infallible. That said, yup... let's trace where this manufacturing process went out of control and attack the root cause. Omega's QA engineers ought to be very interested in getting to the bottom of this -- doubt you'll get a new watch out of their interest, but a repair of the blemish is certainly warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Strapsgalore View Post
    Update:

Here’s to hoping you get an outcome you’re satisfied with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update:

Omega offered to replace the defective endlink, replace sub seconds hand, and polish the case. I don’t feel satisfied with their decision. Who else can I contact to dispute?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information