Preventive maintenance movement 8900 - Page 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Preventive maintenance movement 8900

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Preventive maintenance movement 8900

Iím not saying Iím right as itís been a couple of years since I bought my 8900, but Iím sure the AD told me 10 years. Canít verify it or even remember if itís true. Ignore as necessary. I guess if you take the watch into water regularly the water resistance check will come first.

Watching the Roger Smith lecture on YouTube the other night, he eluded to 10+ years service intervals for his coaxial movement. His discussion was based around the escapement, so I assume Omega will follow at some point, as I believe he feeds back his findings to them regularly. It was a very technical lecture thatís worth a look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Akendal9 View Post
    Iím not saying Iím right as itís been a couple of years since I bought my 8900, but Iím sure the AD told me 10 years. Canít verify it or even remember if itís true. Ignore as necessary. I guess if you take the watch into water regularly the water resistance check will come first.

Watching the Roger Smith lecture on YouTube the other night, he eluded to 10+ years service intervals for his coaxial movement. His discussion was based around the escapement, so I assume Omega will follow at some point, as I believe he feeds back his findings to them regularly. It was a very technical lecture thatís worth a look.

https://youtu.be/cAbJLCfVKJc

First of all im fully aware that im going against recommendations from manufacturers and qualified Omega technicians (Archer) but ive found common sense approach to watches works. Ive had watches perform perfectly, long after the "recommended service interval". I know theres a risk with water ingress etc but again common sense prevails. If youre swimming with a watch all the time you need to test it every year for obvious reasons. Some people never take their dive watches in the shower. Maybe ive got lucky but ive never sent a watch in for service that didnt need it (I know thats not something I can determine from a technical viewpoint). If one of my watches fails tomorrow, I know its my own stupid fault but ive saved enough money over the years to completely replace it. I am NOT advising against servicing here. I DO have watches serviced. Just be mindful of the performance changing over time and your wearing habits will affect this. If youre tough on watches and only have one then its going to need doing sooner rather than later. You may have 10 watches in a rotation in which case the wear and tear on any one watch will be minimal. I have an aqua terra thats a little over a year old and its been worn for about 100 hours so I cant see that needing a service before the recommended time. In contrast, my Pelagos gets a hammering everyday, its in the sea, on mountain bikes etc so thats going to need a bit more attention. End of the day theyre only watches, albeit expensive ones but theyre very well made and designed to withstand a lot so just pop it on your wrist and enjoy it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My answer will be: if there is a timekeeping problem, or never.

If the repair cost is more than 30% of the residual price of the watch, I would prefer to buy a new one.

Double

MJM

Ten years on average. However you should still have the seals checked every couple years if you spend time in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Without time there is nothing......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information