Preventive maintenance movement 8900
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Preventive maintenance movement 8900

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Preventive maintenance movement 8900

In describing these movements, the manufacturer says that due to modern technology, the frequency of preventative maintenance is significantly longer than in the past. But there is no mention of exactly what the periods are. So, my question is, how many years is it advisable to do preventative maintenance of the 8900 movement?

I heard 7 to 8 years. Maybe someone with a definitive answer can chime in.
    hdbox likes this.

Haf

Re: Preventive maintenance movement 8900

When I bought my 8800 Seamaster from my AD I asked them what's the current status regarding service intervals for the aging 8500 movement that I have in my AT and I was told that not even Omega has an idea about what to recommend to customers.

My best bet would be to use it until it shows signs of weakness and have it serviced by Omega at that point because I highly doubt you would save any kind of money servicing it at your own choice as opposed to servicing it when it is really needed.
    hdbox and malern like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unless the movement is showing signs of wear like gaining or losing time outside of METAS standards then i wouldn’t have it service for ten years. At the ten year mark I’d send it in for service more so to have the gaskets replaced to keep the integrity of the water resistance.
    hdbox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hdbox View Post
    In describing these movements, the manufacturer says that due to modern technology, the frequency of preventative maintenance is significantly longer than in the past. But there is no mention of exactly what the periods are. So, my question is, how many years is it advisable to do preventative maintenance of the 8900 movement?
    I believe Omega advertise a 10 year service interval. Mainly driven by the coaxial escapement reducing friction in the movement.
    hdbox likes this.

Quite honestly, with these modern movements the concept of preventative maintenance is kinda irrelevant. Not sure now but IWC used to tout this concept.

8900 is a very well made movement so unless you see any constant pattern of deviation in timekeeping, there is no need to even think about maintenance of the movement... like seriously.

However, one maintenance I always recommend to fellow enthusiasts/collectors... always wash your watch especially the bracelet.
    hdbox and 5959HH like this.
    ♕ 116500LN | ♕ 126710BLRO | ♕ 116610LV | PAM00168 | Tudor BB58

Quote Originally Posted by agentdaffy007 View Post
    I heard 7 to 8 years. Maybe someone with a definitive answer can chime in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haf View Post
    When I bought my 8800 Seamaster from my AD I asked them what's the current status regarding service intervals for the aging 8500 movement that I have in my AT and I was told that not even Omega has an idea about what to recommend to customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akendal9 View Post
    I believe Omega advertise a 10 year service interval. Mainly driven by the coaxial escapement reducing friction in the movement.
    If you want the real answer, all you have to do is look on Omega's web site:

https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...ons-and-prices

"Therefore, we recommend that you have the water resistance checked once a year and a complete service performed every 5 to 8 years."

Cheers, Al
    hdbox and 5959HH like this.

This ad has been on the Omega page for many years. I think these recommendations, and are from a time when, the 8900 still wasn't on the market. For this I think that the current deadlines should be different from the ones mentioned in the link.

Quote Originally Posted by hdbox View Post
    This ad has been on the Omega page for many years. I think these recommendations, and are from a time when, the 8900 still wasn't on the market. For this I think that the current deadlines should be different from the ones mentioned in the link.
    These are Omega's current recommendations. There's nothing about an 8900 (or any other movement) that makes them more resistant to wear, so they apply to all mechnical movements in Omega's line.

with the advent of the 8yr warranty from most manufacturers, i'd say that Omega is betting on no issues until year 9 or 10... with that said, the schools of thought have always been a) do nothing until it shows evidence, or b) get it done every 5, 10, 15...
    my thought is that, regular upkeep (cosmetic washing, regular rotational wear) helps in prolonging the life of the timepiece. that said, i'd make friends with your local watch guy and maybe visit every year, 1.5yrs and just have a quick "once over" for COSC standards and to check seals are alright... like a car, if you wait until you have an issue, it'll usually run you way more than if you had checked sooner . *Italian hands up in the air* "but what the frig do i know" :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information