Proven and Trusted Used Omegas - Page 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Proven and Trusted Used Omegas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Proven and Trusted Used Omegas

Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
    Pick what you want but avoid the early 2500 series co-axial escapement movements if you can.

All the best.
    Thanks Tony for the heads up, and to CajunMike for the specific follow-up on Tony's. Much obliged, all.

I've just looked at watchrecon, super cool site. Sent out a quick shout to Kringkily after looking at all of his offerings. Oh man, my life has just gotten a little more fabulously complicated.

Further down the rabbit-hole I go.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLee View Post
    Thanks Tony for the heads up, and to CajunMike for the specific follow-up on Tony's. Much obliged, all.
    YW. Happy hunting. I'm sure you'll love whatever Omega you get. They are really lovely watches and ideal for all sorts of situations.

My daily wearer is a pre-co-axial Constellation. I have a Seamaster too, but I wear it very, very rarely because I leave it a my place in the mountains so I have a sport watch there when I fly into Pittsburgh and go straight there without first going to my home in D.C.

As a collector, I'd suggest getting a watch that has a co-axial escapement movement. If you don't have any collector-specific objectives, get whatever one appeals to you most as they are all fine and the watch's styling will matter to you more than the movement. I'm not saying movements are not important, but rather that if one isn't of a mind to build a collection that speaks to something in particular, a movement need not do or be more than one that works reliably, is reasonably accurate, and is easy to maintain. All of Omega's older movements that you are likely to come buy/want have those qualities just as do the newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunMike View Post
    Tony, to be more specific, the 2500A had some problems but it was a very early and very limited release. 2500b and 2500c you would be good with any of those movements but factor in a service with those 2 calibers due to the age of the movement.
    Good point, although was with the 2500D that the 2500 series became free of "issues." I suspect it'd be hard to find one of those early 2500s in a new watch, but since the OP intends to buy a used one, it's worth being aware of the issue. There may be a GMS who has some NOS ones hanging around, but I doubt many will have any or that they'll have many.

OP, you may find this useful inasmuch as one can never have too much information at hand when considering the purchase of a pre-owned watch:

Hope that helps.

All the best.
    Last edited by tony20009; September 25th, 2014 at 20:34.
    BruceLee likes this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 for Kringkily, bought my SMP coaxial (2222.80) from him, excellent communication, reasonable price. I also dealt recently with exelonman (based in the US) and Malkav (based in Japan), had good experiences as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
    YW. Happy hunting. I'm sure you'll love whatever Omega you get. They are really lovely watches and ideal for all sorts of situations.

My daily wearer is a pre-co-axial Constellation. I have a Seamaster too, but I wear it very, very rarely because I leave it a my place in the mountains so I have a sport watch there when I fly into Pittsburgh and go straight there without first going to my home in D.C.

As a collector, I'd suggest getting a watch that has a co-axial escapement movement. If you don't have any collector-specific objectives, get whatever one appeals to you most as they are all fine and the watch's styling will matter to you more than the movement. I'm not saying movements are not important, but rather that if one isn't of a mind to build a collection that speaks to something in particular, a movement need not do or be more than one that works reliably, is reasonably accurate, and is easy to maintain. All of Omega's older movements that you are likely to come buy/want have those qualities just as do the newer ones.

Good point, although was with the 2500D that the 2500 series became free of "issues." I suspect it'd be hard to find one of those early 2500s in a new watch, but since the OP intends to buy a used one, it's worth being aware of the issue. There may be a GMS who has some NOS ones hanging around, but I doubt many will have any or that they'll have many.

OP, you may find this useful inasmuch as one can never have too much information at hand when considering the purchase of a pre-owned watch:

Hope that helps.

All the best.
    Tony, fabulous fabulous fabulous ideas. Thank you for sharing some links to info. I always hesitate dropping such blanket topics into a sea of them, but this is the only way to learn. I appreciate the time.

BruceLee
    tony20009 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLee View Post
    Tony, fabulous fabulous fabulous ideas. Thank you for sharing some links to info. I always hesitate dropping such blanket topics into a sea of them, but this is the only way to learn. I appreciate the time.

BruceLee
    NP...you're welcome.

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information