Requesting help with the fair purchase price of a pre-owned Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Requesting help with the fair purchase price of a pre-owned Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Requesting help with the fair purchase price of a pre-owned Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie when it comes to mechanical watches and looking for advice from the more seasoned watch aficionados on this forum. I am looking to purchase a 2012 pre-owned Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 41 mm from a jeweler in my area. the watch does not have papers. It is listed for sale at 2800 USD. Is that a fair asking price. I currently own a Vintage Rolex and a Keepsake from West end watch Co. (Both hand downs from my grand dad), A Seiko Presage, A Tissot PSR 516 Quartz and a Rado Jubile Centrix mechanical. From whatever i have read about the Seamaster it seems to be a robust buy. it will be really kind if any of you could help me understand if this is a fair asking price for the watch. Thank you so much :)

Re: Requesting help with the fair purchase price of a pre-owned Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra

Find out when it was last serviced.

Re: Requesting help with the fair purchase price of a pre-owned Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra

Secondhander.com can help you with this as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Without knowing the condition, when it was last serviced, etc... it would be nigh impossible to say if you're getting fleeced or a good deal. Go to an online watch listing site like chrono24, look for the model you are considering, and see what other sellers are asking for the same watch in similar condition.
    shemp55 likes this.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Find out when it was last serviced.
    Thank you so much for your response. I have been assured that the watch has recently been serviced and is under the jeweler's own warranty for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post
    Without knowing the condition, when it was last serviced, etc... it would be nigh impossible to say if you're getting fleeced or a good deal. Go to an online watch listing site like chrono24, look for the model you are considering, and see what other sellers are asking for the same watch in similar condition.
    Thank you so much for responding. The first thing I did was check crown and caliber, chrono24 etc. Prices seem to vary depending on the condition. I would place ball park prices for this model between 2000 to 4000 USD depending on papers etc, however the one's closer to 2k are quartz. Any insight into what a well taken care of specimen without a box or papers would sell for in the market would be helpful. Posting a picture for reference as well. I stay in Florida and the store seems to have a good reputation. Name:  Omega.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  54.4 KB

Is the jeweler an AD for Omega or just took it in on trade or bought it on the wholesale market?

And follow Watchbreath's advice. Find out if it has ever been serviced. It's only 7 years old but is probably ready or past ready for a servicing.

And honestly, no one here can tell you or give you a value for the watch. Also, the rules are somewhat vague but WUS does not give valuations for watches.
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stark View Post
    Is the jeweler an AD for Omega or just took it in on trade or bought it on the wholesale market?

And follow Watchbreath's advice. Find out if it has ever been serviced. It's only 7 years old but is probably ready or past ready for a servicing.

And honestly, no one here can tell you or give you a value for the watch. Also, the rules are somewhat vague but WUS does not give valuations for watches.
    The jeweler took the watch as a trade. I will definitely try to find out about the service history of the watch. but my source of info for that too will only be the Store which has put the watch up for sale. I will definitely keep all these points into consideration before I make a final decision. And I apologize, i had no idea that this is a question which isn't appropriate for WUS. Hopefully, everything works out because I really like the watch. It is either this one or a different one that's out there. Wish me luck :)
    Chris Stark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aparajit10 View Post
    Thank you so much for responding. The first thing I did was check crown and caliber, chrono24 etc. Prices seem to vary depending on the condition. I would place ball park prices for this model between 2000 to 4000 USD depending on papers etc, however the one's closer to 2k are quartz. Any insight into what a well taken care of specimen without a box or papers would sell for in the market would be helpful. Posting a picture for reference as well. I stay in Florida and the store seems to have a good reputation. Name:  Omega.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  54.4 KB
    Again, a photo isn't going to pick up enough detail to tell you an exact valuation. From your research, it sounds like it's at least in the right ballpark, if not a little low. If it is a 2011 or 2012 vintage model and hasn't been serviced, it is probably due for one within the next year. Figure around $600 for a full service. If your jeweler is unsure of the service history or knows the piece has not been serviced, they may have set their price a bit lower. Crown and Caliber claims all watches they sell have been serviced if of the age when a service would be due, so if their pieces are several hundred dollars higher than this one, that may explain why this one seems a little less expensive.