Rotor spinning while winding - Is that necessarily bad?

Thread: Rotor spinning while winding - Is that necessarily bad?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rotor spinning while winding - Is that necessarily bad?

Just noticed that the rotor on one of my watches spins when I turn the crown while winding. Not quite as if its directly coupled... but still... I can only describe it as a 'spongy' sort of coupling.

I haven't yet checked if this is only when fully wound or otherwise... not sure if that would matter.

Any information, anyone?
    DD

Ozy

Re: Rotor spinning while winding - Is that necessarily bad?

I think you'll be ok. Rotor is not independent of the winding system. Rotor spinning = mainspring winding, crown winding rotor winding mainspring = watch functioning normally.
    Pavo absolutus

Thanks Ozy. That's reassuring... I know the rotor almost always moves just a bit while winding, but that again, is almost always just a very small swing.

But here it spins wildly... many turns... almost as if what I wind is getting unwound. Was worried if some de-coupling had got a little bent or jammed... or something somewhere was lacking sufficient oil.

This is my brand new LLD so was a little concerned.

Thanks for the reassurance.
    Last edited by ddatta; September 19th, 2010 at 11:38.
    DD

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ozy

Quote Originally Posted by ddatta View Post
    Thanks Ozy. That's reassuring... I know the rotor almost always moves just a bit while winding, but that again, is almost always just a very small swing.

But here it spins wildly... many turns... almost as if what I wind is getting unwound. Was worried if some de-coupling had got a little bent or jammed... or something somewhere was lacking sufficient oil.

This is my brand new LLD so was a little concerned.

Thanks for the reassurance.
    Rotor winds both ways (except v7750 which is uni directional)
    Pavo absolutus

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    Rotor winds both ways (except v7750 which is uni directional)
    Yup This is bidirectional.

The 7750 winds unidirectional... and feels "like a wobbly mouse on the wrist", as M4tt put it
    DD

Quote Originally Posted by ddatta View Post
    Just noticed that the rotor on one of my watches spins when I turn the crown while winding. Not quite as if its directly coupled... but still... I can only describe it as a 'spongy' sort of coupling.

I haven't yet checked if this is only when fully wound or otherwise... not sure if that would matter.

Any information, anyone?

I had this happen twice on an Oris I own that uses a modified ETA movement. I was advised by Oris service in the US to send the watch in for repair, which I did. I understand some spin, but if the rotor kind of spins wildly when you manually wind the watch, I think the watch needs service. From what i recall, the person I spoke to at the Oris service center indicated it was actually a 'small repair'

Banned

The ETA 2824's rotor spins sometimes during winding. It's been discussed on the Public Forum a few times. It might also indicate their isn't proper lubrication in the automatic system and it's therefore service time.

Thanks guys.

Here is what I think may be a slightly better description of How and When the rotor spins:

If I wind it slowly then the rotor catches and begins its spin. I can accelerate it to fairly fast. The watch shakes!!

If I wind it briskly then it doesnt get 'traction' and the winding skids into winding, leaving the rotor behind... It doesnt spin.

Everything is working perfectly.

Does that explain it?

I too suspect it is an oil problem. Taking it in tomorrow. The watch is brand new.
    DD

lvt

Try to manually wind the watch in vertical position, if the rotor still spins despite of its weight, there is a defect on the auto winding mechanism.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Try to manually wind the watch in vertical position, if the rotor still spins despite of its weight, there is a defect on the auto winding mechanism.
    Thanks lvt. I tried it in that manner too. It spun.

It is now with the Service Centre with a "definite problem" but a simple one. I should have it back with me the next week. Will ask them to explain exactly what the problem was.
    DD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information