Seamaster 2254 Running Very Fast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seamaster 2254 Running Very Fast

Seamaster 2254 Running Very Fast

Good morning,

Recently (5 days ago) I noticed that my 2254 was running exceptionally fast (about 2 seconds per minute!). Before 5 days ago it ran 2 seconds fast per day. My first thought was that it was magnetized. Using the Lepsi app I found that it was magnetized. I demagnetized it, without any change to the rate. Thinking back, I recall a small drop to the floor a few days before I noticed the increased rate; but to be honest, the fall was not far and partially cushioned by my foot. The watch dates to 2007 and has not yet been serviced (I'm hopeful that a service is all that is needed).

Obviously, something is going on. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts? Any recommendations for service in the Boston area?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Rich

Re: Seamaster 2254 Running Very Fast

Having never done it before, I viewed as many videos online as I could find. I used the blue plug in demagnetizer (not sure of the name) found on Amazon. I plugged it in, placed the watch back down on it, pressed the red button, leaving it in place for approximately 10 seconds, after which time I slowly lifted the watch up and away from the demagnetizer.

Does that sound right? If not, please let me know. Thank you.

Thanks. I am going to give it one more shot tonight. Fingers crossed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rfc16 View Post
    Thanks. I am going to give it one more shot tonight. Fingers crossed.
    You can give it try again but either way it going to need servicing prevents any wear or tear

Mat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My advice- buy a watch that pleases you. Don't let anyone judge or tell you what to wear. Good cheap and expensive watches are no different between them. Both still can tell the time.

Thanks for the offer, Mat.

Update: Brought the 2254 to my local watch shop (The Watchmaker in Stoneham, MA). They checked the rate, and based on that the thought was that the balance spring was caught up. A few gentle taps on a rubber mat and the watch was running normal again. Timing is just outside of COSC at this time; no clue where it was before the balance spring issue. All in all, I'm happy. Thanks Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by rfc16 View Post
    Update: Brought the 2254 to my local watch shop (The Watchmaker in Stoneham, MA). They checked the rate, and based on that the thought was that the balance spring was caught up. A few gentle taps on a rubber mat and the watch was running normal again. Timing is just outside of COSC at this time; no clue where it was before the balance spring issue. All in all, I'm happy. Thanks Dave.
    I’m glad to hear that. Did your local watchmaker asked you when it’s last time for service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My advice- buy a watch that pleases you. Don't let anyone judge or tell you what to wear. Good cheap and expensive watches are no different between them. Both still can tell the time.

Thread Information