WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Owner's Thread

1M views 5K replies 606 participants last post by  erichpryde 
#1 ·
The 300 MC ownership here (and on other forums) is growing and it's time we had a thread to share information, insights, reviews, photos, and accessory suggestions; i.e., straps, etc.

If you are blessed with a 300 MC, please make yourself at home, subscribe, and contribute to this thread. (Others are welcome to drool but try to keep your keyboards dry. :))

See less See more
#530 ·
I have the Planet Ocean for versatility though, and I'm not much of a "movement guy" in terms of it being a selling factor. I like watches with personality. I see the similarities of the PO 2201.50 and 300MC in the dial markings/hands, but actually prefer the PO indexes and hands over the 300MC (I also prefer the PO bracelet except for the non-adjustable clasp). I do like the case shape and liquidmetal tech of the 300MC though. That's where it wins for me. I do feel I'd wear my favorite of the two and the other would collect dust.

Pelagos and Ranger are not considerations. Great watches for sure but not my cup of tea honestly.

The Black Bay's red bezel and gilt dial/hands would add diversity to my collection and it's a watch I truly love and want to stare at--even if the build and tech aren't on par with the 300MC.

The Tudor is still my lead horse but I will think hard on the 300MC before pulling the trigger. This thread continually reaffirms that it has to be in the running.

#543 ·
I've never understood buying a watch based on resale value but I'm not a flipper. If I can't see keeping the watch long term then I don't buy it in the first place, and if I happen to dislike it after a while then I'll take the hit. I always buy used anyway so the hit is usually marginal if not completely non-existent anyway.

May I ask why specifically?

#554 ·
I think for me the LM LE and 8500 Planet Oceans are a little too blingy on the dial, and the 300MC is a little too flat on the dial, and the 2500 Planet Ocean is just right. Still mulling over the 300MC but ultimately the things I really, REALLY love about an everyday watch--the things that keep me looking at my wrist but forgetting to check the time--the 2500 Planet Ocean 2201.50 has more of. And the Black Bay has it in spades too. I'll continue to admire the 300MC from afar and if I can ever see one in the wild away from the Omega boutique lights perhaps it'll change my mind.

#559 · (Edited)
Maybe you 300MC guys can help me out since I still can't get it off my mind, but have some concerns. I'd love some thoughtful input from the first-hand experience of owners (since I've only been able to see this piece under the lights of the Omega Boutique).

••• Concern #1: Dial & Bezel Finish •••
The dial seems to come across extremely flat in finish. The bezel under the boutique lights comes across flat as well. This is a juxtaposition to the shiniest of the polished parts of the bracelet and case to my eyes. Others have mentioned how the bezel looks glossy though. More often than not, is the bezel a glossy black and the dial more of a vintage matte/flat black or grey under direct light or does it usually come across all black?

All Black?
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver

Or black bezel and grey dial?
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

••• Concern #2: Light Play Across Dial •••
I absolutely love how the Planet Ocean dial can light up when the light catches it just right (hands, indexes and applied logo) and it's a big draw for me to just stare at the watch and watch the light play across the dial. How does the light play across the dial of the 300MC?

I've tried to find photos. The best so far has been this one. The hands catch light well and it seems like the numerals do too, but the sunken indexes kind of disappear. Is this pretty true to how the watch looks from an angle as light plays across it?
Watch Fashion accessory Material property Strap Photography

And for comparison, this is what the 2201.50 can do and what keeps me checking the watch not for the time but for this light play across the dial. This alone is something I love on all the watches I own with polished metal on the hands/dial and I find the watches that lack this less visually interesting in day-to-day wear under different lighting conditions). This reason alone is why I'm considering the Black Bay alongside the 300MC. It's that big of a deal to me.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

••• Concern #3: Scratched PCLs & Polished Lug Tops •••
I work a blue collar job so the watch is going to see some use, and will likely get scratched. My PO has it's share of scratches on the twisted lugs and I feel like the polished flat tops of the straight lugs are going to be an even bigger scratch magnet along with the bracelet. Legitimate concern? Does anyone have photos of their 300MC with some wear?

••• Concern #4: Silver Ring Between Bezel & Crystal •••
Obviously the bezel and sapphire are scratch resistant, but what about the silver ring between the two? Is that raw metal? Is that another area that's going to pick up scratches and if so is that something Omega would likely polish out on services?

••• Concern #5: Overall Look Under Natural Lighting Conditions •••
This kind of ties into #2 above. I've only seen the watch under boutique lights. It does have a beautifully balanced aesthetic, proportionally speaking. How is it in day to day wear? I'm rarely dressed up. Some note it being dressy, others note it being easy to dress down. To me it seems like it could be dressy on the bracelet but it dresses down nicely on NATO or leather. I'd mainly be wanting to keep it on the bracelet however, and I'm a t-shirt and shorts or jeans kind of guy, and don't want it to be overly dressy. My Planet Ocean's only real bling is the dial details and they're subtle enough, where the rest of the package is pretty utilitarian/tool watch-ish which I like. I just worry about the 300 being too flashy.

••• Concern #6: Cost •••
What's a fair price range to fall within for a used 300MC in good shape with box and papers right now? Seems like I've seen them for $4200-4800. Does that sound right?

Thanks a ton for any help. It's either keep the Planet Ocean and add a Black Bay, sell my Planet Ocean and get a 300MC, or I could sell my Nomos then stretch to get the 300MC and keep my Planet Ocean too. Decisions, decisions.

#562 ·
Maybe you 300MC guys can help me out since I still can't get it off my mind, but have some concerns. I'd love some thoughtful input from the first-hand experience of owners (since I've only been able to see this piece under the lights of the Omega Boutique).

••• Concern #1: Dial & Bezel Finish •••
The dial seems to come across extremely flat in finish. The bezel under the boutique lights comes across flat as well. This is a juxtaposition to the shiniest of the polished parts of the bracelet and case to my eyes. Others have mentioned how the bezel looks glossy though. More often than not, is the bezel a glossy black and the dial more of a vintage matte/flat black or grey under direct light or does it usually come across all black?

All Black?
View attachment 4996737

Or black bezel and grey dial?
View attachment 4996753

••• Concern #2: Light Play Across Dial •••
I absolutely love how the Planet Ocean dial can light up when the light catches it just right (hands, indexes and applied logo) and it's a big draw for me to just stare at the watch and watch the light play across the dial. How does the light play across the dial of the 300MC?

I've tried to find photos. The best so far has been this one. The hands catch light well and it seems like the numerals do too, but the sunken indexes kind of disappear. Is this pretty true to how the watch looks from an angle as light plays across it?
View attachment 4996569

And for comparison, this is what the 2201.50 can do and what keeps me checking the watch not for the time but for this light play across the dial. This alone is something I love on all the watches I own with polished metal on the hands/dial and I find the watches that lack this less visually interesting in day-to-day wear under different lighting conditions). This reason alone is why I'm considering the Black Bay alongside the 300MC. It's that big of a deal to me.
View attachment 4996601

••• Concern #3: Scratched PCLs & Polished Lug Tops •••
I work a blue collar job so the watch is going to see some use, and will likely get scratched. My PO has it's share of scratches on the twisted lugs and I feel like the polished flat tops of the straight lugs are going to be an even bigger scratch magnet along with the bracelet. Legitimate concern? Does anyone have photos of their 300MC with some wear?

••• Concern #4: Silver Ring Between Bezel & Crystal •••
Obviously the bezel and sapphire are scratch resistant, but what about the silver ring between the two? Is that raw metal? Is that another area that's going to pick up scratches and if so is that something Omega would likely polish out on services?

••• Concern #5: Overall Look Under Natural Lighting Conditions •••
This kind of ties into #2 above. I've only seen the watch under boutique lights. It does have a beautifully balanced aesthetic, proportionally speaking. How is it in day to day wear? I'm rarely dressed up. Some note it being dressy, others note it being easy to dress down. To me it seems like it could be dressy on the bracelet but it dresses down nicely on NATO or leather. I'd mainly be wanting to keep it on the bracelet however, and I'm a t-shirt and shorts or jeans kind of guy, and don't want it to be overly dressy. My Planet Ocean's only real bling is the dial details and they're subtle enough, where the rest of the package is pretty utilitarian/tool watch-ish which I like. I just worry about the 300 being too flashy.

••• Concern #6: Cost •••
What's a fair price range to fall within for a used 300MC in good shape with box and papers right now? Seems like I've seen them for $4200-4800. Does that sound right?

Thanks a ton for any help. It's either keep the Planet Ocean and add a Black Bay, sell my Planet Ocean and get a 300MC, or I could sell my Nomos then stretch to get the 300MC and keep my Planet Ocean too. Decisions, decisions.
Can't help you with all of that as I don't have mine anymore (but saving to get a new one). I for one hate the PCL, so I only had the bracelet on it for a few days. During that time I managed to get the clasp scratched up completely - the PCLs are much more scratch resistant than the clasp, if you ask me (or you just can't see the scratches as well on the PCLs). The case of the watch really doesn't scratch easily at all. I banged it against the edge of the car door once and was certain I had just messed up the watch completely - but couldn't see any scratching at all.

If you work in a rough environment, I suggest wearing it on a strap. There are various water proof options, like rubber straps, NATOs or water proof leather straps, such as the Hirsch Viscount.

As for looks: it looks dramatically better under natural light than it does in the boutique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#561 ·
Hey josh. Sorry but I can't really answer all your questions. Have you seen the watch in flesh? This is one of those watches that u either love it or hate it. Purists thinks it a lousy re-make with faux patina. I personally think its a brilliant re-production. I'm a serial watch flipper and has flipped tons of watches including rare vintage pieces. None has tug my heart as much as the 300MC.

I personally think Omega watches are made to be worn with straps. They look amazing with straps. A watch is like a statement, a reflection of your style, your likes.

The bracelet scratches very very easily.

Take me your time to hunt for a decent used piece. If you keep thinking about it after seeing it in flesh. That's the one! Happy hunting!

#563 · (Edited)
thestrapguy, I have seen it in person but only under shop lights, which doesn't allow a fair assessment as every watch looks like crap under shop lights IMO. From my most beloved watches to the cheapest watches, none really shine under boutique lighting. I need natural light to make a fair assessment but don't know anyone locally with one of these to see in person unfortunately.

To be fair, it's bracelet or bust for me on dive watches. I personally just enjoy the look more than anything else by a large margin, and I also enjoy the ease of popping the watch on and off. Obviously a strap with deployment would work too, but I really just like the ease and versatility of bracelets. They go with everything.

#567 ·
I honestly don't mind the PCLs from a visual standpoint. They're faithful to the original and tie in nicely with the polished topside of the lugs. It would look odd brushed unless the lugs were brushed too. I just worry about wear showing so badly. I can always ScotchBrite my Planet Ocean bracelet or clasp if I scratch it. Polishing is a lot more work.

What's fair used prices? I'm tempted to try to find one, give it a go for a few weeks, and worst case scenario flip it and get the Black Bay. Or if I love it I may want to flip the Planet Ocean for a Black Bay. I do love the red Black Bay on bracelet a ton. So much character. Or I could keep the Planet Ocean as a work and vacation watch and have the 300MC for away-from-work casual wear when I want a dive watch, and have the Speedy for when I want the Speedy.

Thinking about this more, I love the angular case of the 300MC. The case is what's drawing me in. The flatness of the case and bracelet compared to the overall roundness of my Planet Ocean (and Speedy, and Seiko 6309). All my watches are more rounded so I think that's why the angular look is so appealing.

#570 ·
I concur on the dial. There are very few dials to my knowledge that are executed at this level of detail and quality. The watch is extremely robust--buy with confidence! Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Strap Watch Hand Watch accessory Fashion accessory

#579 ·
A few more quick questions for 300MC owners who have lived with the watch for a while now...

Does the white second hand ever bother you? Does it seem out of place at all since the hour and minute hands are silver?

On dial and bezel color in various lighting situations, are these photos that show a somewhat glossy all-black color pretty indicative of how the watch looks most of the time (unless under direct light where the dial looks more matte black)?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Reactions: ff25 and jokr82
#580 ·
A few more quick questions for 300MC owners who have lived with the watch for a while now...

Does the white second hand ever bother you? Does it seem out of place at all since the hour and minute hands are silver?

On dial and bezel color in various lighting situations, are these photos that show a somewhat glossy all-black color pretty indicative of how the watch looks most of the time (unless under direct light where the dial looks more matte black)?

View attachment 5031961
No on second hand
Yes to me watch always is glossy

#581 ·
That's encouraging. It seems like the second hand would tie in nicely with the numerals but I read some negatives about it in a review or two. Looks good to me. Same for the glossy look. I dislike when the light makes the watch look really flat in finish. In those photos it looks glossy which looks extremely good considering the vintage design. The glossy-ness keeps it from being too vintage looking and the vintage design keeps it from being too modern looking. It also makes it a better compliment to my PO2500 which comes across more muted save for the applied dial elements and hands.

After much hemming and hawing, and really nailing down why I want another nice diver, I'm 85% sure the 300MC is my next purchase. Going by an AD or two today to try to see the black stainless version and also a black PO8500. That'll help sure things up in my mind.

Reactions: Betterthere
#587 · (Edited)
Went by the boutique and checked out the 300MC again today along with the PO8500. Also checked out a Rolex SubC date and no date.

Down to deciding on whether to keep my PO2500 and add a SubC or to move my PO2500 for a PO8500 and add a 300MC.

The 300MC as a total visual package is definitely beautiful and had the most character.

PO8500 had the most presence and detail in the dial and the case finishing.

SubCs were the most understated and the bezel, crown and bracelet action were a cut above the Omegas.

At 32 years of age it's hard to think of myself as a "Rolex guy" though. What I love about Omega, other than their innovation and willingness to push the envelope, is that I feel like they make a true watch guy's watch--not just something flashy for the masses (where Rolex is a victim of it's success). The 300MC is as much a testament to that as anything. It's a watch I could see buying now at 32 years old and still wearing it proudly at double my age and beyond--just like my Speedy Pro (of course the same could be said for the Submariner too, it has stood the test of time after all, if I could just get past the stigma).

#588 ·
It's a watch I could see buying now at 32 years old and still wearing it proudly at double my age and beyond--just like my Speedy Pro (of course the same could be said for the Submariner too, it has stood the test of time after all, if I could just get past the stigma).
Well since I am double your age I guess I can attest to that part. :)