WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Owner's Thread

1M views 5K replies 606 participants last post by  erichpryde 
#1 ·
The 300 MC ownership here (and on other forums) is growing and it's time we had a thread to share information, insights, reviews, photos, and accessory suggestions; i.e., straps, etc.

If you are blessed with a 300 MC, please make yourself at home, subscribe, and contribute to this thread. (Others are welcome to drool but try to keep your keyboards dry. :))

See less See more
#590 ·
Clearly it's a deeply personal choice. I am a fan of Rolex, tho I own none (yet). I do own 5 Omega's. Also no big deal. But if I had to lose ALL. If my watches tomorrow (Omega and other brands) I would keep the 300MC. But that's me. Like most of us you'll likely end up with a collection of the ones you like the most. The ones that speak to you.

Sent from a Payphone

#595 · (Edited)
Strongly considering this watch, but, like others, have concerns about the PCLs. If I go with Titanium on Titanium, are they a LOT less likely to scratch?

I may just wear it on straps, but get the bracelet for certain occasions. I always hear that you should usually go with the bracelet option, if possible, because it's a lot cheaper to pick up the leather strap separately than to pick up the bracelet separately. How much does the Omega leather strap go for on it's own? Does anyone have a part number for it?

#598 · (Edited)
Strongly considering this watch, but, like others, have concerns about the PCLs. If I go with Titanium on Titanium, are they a LOT less likely to scratch?

I may just wear it on straps, but get the bracelet for certain occasions. I always hear that you should usually go with the bracelet option, if possible, because it's a lot cheaper to pick up the leather strap separately than to pick up the bracelet separately. How much does the Omega leather strap go for on it's own? Does anyone have a part number for it?
I have a number of Ti watches from IWC and from the two weeks or so of ownership, the 'grade 5' does live up to its name. It does appear to be more scratch resistant than what I suppose is 'grade 2' on the IWC Ti watches. This said, it is actually not that easy to scratch the SM300: the crystal is sapphire bounded by Liquidmetal ceramic bezel. The only bits of titanium that is exposed (at least on the strap version) is the flank of the case and you would have to injure yourself--touch wood!--to scratch any of these parts because of the geometry. So even if titanium is scratch-able, the geometry of the case in normal use does not lend itself to scratches.

From my understanding, while the SS version with bracelet and the SS with strap is $150 or so MSRP difference, the Ti version with bracelet and the Ti with strap is nearly $1000 or so in MSRP difference. If you worked in the cost of the Barenia calf strap (about $150 or so I heard...) and the cost of the titanium deployant (another $400 or so), it comes up to be the same *(I forget to mention that the Ti bracelet is about $1500 or so). Yet the same parity cannot be said of the SS versions. So I say if you want to get the bracelet for a fly, then SS. If you want the strap, the Ti makes better sense.

#596 · (Edited)
Scratching aside, PCLs are actually a big selling point for me on this piece.

At this point I've ruled out Rolex entirely. So it's either keep the PO2500 for daily work wear and add some other diver for casual away-from-work wear (perhaps the Black Bay?), or try to trade my PO2500 + cash on a PO8500 for work wear and grab a 300MC for casual wear. I could see the Black Bay being a good work option too but I'd miss the date (not a total deal breaker though). Maybe a Pelagos then? The only combo I can't see at all is the PO2500 + 300MC. The dials and color schemes are just too close. I want a little more variety than that.

Leaning HEAVILY towards PO8500 + 300MC. I like the arrow hands, applied markers and logo, and the way all that metal catches the light. All depends on how easily I can find a trade for my PO2500 though, how much funds are left over afterwards and how much I can find a used 300MC for. Right now that's the tentative game plan though.

What I do know is that after much thought, I can't think of a better diver that fits my style better away from work than the 300MC. So I'm pretty set on it. It's a piece I'd be excited to come home to every day.

Now to nail down which piece I want as my work beater. Do the decisions of a WIS ever end? :)

Reactions: Betterthere
#600 · (Edited)
Glad I'm not the only one anaplian. I just prefer to fly a little more under the radar. Granted few if any would probably notice, but I just can't connect with the brand. It doesn't fit who I am. Same reason I'll likely never drive a Range Rover or Mercedes, or own a Harley motorcycle. They're all nice, and as a car guy/gearhead I'm a huge fan of all of them, but none of them fit my personality at all. I'm much more a Land Rover Discovery II or Cadillac CTS-V kind of guy, or a clean Triumph Bonneville T100 if I'm going to ride. And I like it that way.

Reactions: picklepossy
#601 ·
Does anybody know what the correct spring bar is for the Seamaster 300MC? I've ordered the oem nato for it and wanted to pick up some spare spring bars just for peace of mind. I've looked on ofrei.com but couldn't match up any that would fit it? Just wondering if anybody on here has purchased any. Many thanks Leighton

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

#602 ·
I don't think I'm a Rolex guy, either. I think they're great watches, but they are a status symbol, which I don't need.

A Rolex guy wants others to see their watch, and think "expensive." Or maybe "Success." My brother is a salesman, so I can understand his desire to own a Rolex, especially when he can earn one as a sales incentive.

I'm not in sales, and I'm not a lawyer or an executive, so I don't really need or want to wear a watch as a status symbol. No one really comments on my watches, but if they did, I'd want them to think, "that's really nice" or "that's a beautiful watch", not "that's really expensive."

#604 ·
Don't quite agree on the Rolex guy wanting to see their watches part. LOL I'm a Rolex guy, love them for their reliability, easy to service (my part of the world). Where I come from, Rolex is like a common brand. you can see it everywhere. PP or Rm is the Grail watch.

I would buy any watch I like and enjoy wearing it, don't give a damn about what others think at all!

#605 ·
I think where you live and the circles you are in play a part. I work in IT in an office environment. Rolexes are still head-turners here, and invite comments about their expense.

On the other hand, all of my wife's aunts and uncles in Malaysia wear Rolex. It is common there... but it is still a status symbol.

#609 · (Edited)
I'm not just repeating what I've read, but I probably did generalize. When I said "a Rolex guy", I did not mean all Rolex owners.

Especially not those on this forum. I think ALL of the reasons you gave above for why you wear Rolex are awesome. But most Rolex wearers I know don't buy them for those reasons, except maybe #1 and #7.

A $5600 Omega flies under the radar moreso than a Rolex, at least in my work environment and social circle. Most people I meet would have no idea that it's nearly that expensive. They might think it is priced about like a Tag you can pick up at Costco. So, it's not nearly the status symbol of a Rolex.

Look, I really have nothing against Rolex owners. I think they are great watches. I'm just saying that I wouldn't feel comfortable with the attention it would get, and I would not get the same attention with an Omega, unless I run into someone that knows something about watches and would appreciate it for the right reasons.

Speaking of the Omega, any of ya'll have the Omega leather strap with deployant for this watch? Thoughts?

#610 ·
I'm not just repeating what I've read, but I probably did generalize. When I said "a Rolex guy", I did not mean all Rolex owners.

Especially not those on this forum. I think ALL of the reasons you gave above for why you wear Rolex are awesome. But most Rolex wearers I know don't buy them for those reasons, except maybe #1 and #7.

A $5600 Omega flies under the radar moreso than a Rolex, at least in my work environment and social circle. Most people I meet would have no idea that it's nearly that expensive. They might think it is priced about like a Tag you can pick up at Costco. So, it's not nearly the status symbol of a Rolex.

Look, I really have nothing against Rolex owners. I think they are great watches. I'm just saying that I wouldn't feel comfortable with the attention it would get, and I would not get the same attention with an Omega, unless I run into someone that knows something about watches and would appreciate it for the right reasons.

Speaking of the Omega, any of ya'll have the Omega leather strap with deployant for this watch? Thoughts?
scroll backwards. There are a few pics with the original strap and deployment

#616 ·
Hi guys,

got my SM300 about 1,5 months ago and I couldn't be happier with it. In fact, there is no other way to describe it than just saying it's perfect. This is the first watch I've ever seen which I wouldn't change in any way.

Wanted to give my pros and cons list of the watch:

PROS:
  • Domed sapphire. I've always loved them and this one makes no exception.
  • Cream-colored indices. Gives the watch a really distinct look and separates it from the too-modern-for-my-liking look of AT and PO.
  • The subtleness of the dial and especially the Omega-logo. No blingy metallic parts to shine.
  • White second hand. I love the contrast that is created between it and the indices.
  • No date on dial. Gives the dial perfect harmony and balance.
  • Simple typography on the dial. Not too many fonts, which sadly is very common in many watches.
  • No 'automatic' text on the dial.
  • The lack of AR coating on the outer side of the sapphire. The gloss is just beautiful together with the bezel and also it prevents the ugly look of a scratched AR.
  • Perfect case size for my wrist, not too big and not too small, just perfect.
  • Quick adjustment bracelet. I use it all the time as I've always had the problem of sometimes wanting the bracelet to be a bit loose and sometimes quite snug.
  • Polished center links. I love the way they make the watch a bit more dressy and also they complement the gloss of the sapphire and bezel nicely.
  • The angular look of the case. I've always disliked to roundness of the PO case and bracelet.
  • The hour-hand quick adjustment for time zones. Just perfect when you travel.
  • The contrast of the vintage-look front and the modern state-of-the-art look of the back.
  • Anti-magnetic and accurate movement. I really love knowing that the movement is pretty much the best there is on the market in this price range. My watch has been accurate to +2 seconds during this 1,5 month period.

CONS:
  • Has completely killed my interest in any other watches. I've sold my whole collection of after getting this and for the first time ever, I don't have any watches that I would even consider buying. So essentially, it has killed my watch hobby ;)

#633 ·
#623 ·
I forgot the wrist shot before joining the club! Like many on here the longer you own this watch the more you like it! I've owed a rolex 5513, rolex sea dweller, speedmaster etc. I think this is the best one I've purchased, I'll never sell it. Be nice to pass it down to my son in later life. I did get the bracelet fully brushed polished, just my taste. The Spectre Nato is on order as well, be nice to change from bracelet now and again.

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

Attachments

#624 · (Edited)
I hope you enjoy these pictures of my new Ti and my AT and Tresor. Sorry the Ti Seamaster is a second fast.

Attachments

#636 ·
View attachment 5078994

Hi skyblue. Mine says hello!!

I changed it to a leather strap for now..
Hello down there. What strap have you put on it? Did you change yourself? I got a quote yesterday for the Brown Omega Strap ref (032cuz003765) of £69.20 and the clasp (94521839)of £348.98. £418.78 to kit it out. I might wait till Christmas for that. I bet yours feels as light as a Feather?

#637 ·
I went with the Bas and Lokes straps.. Great selection and they do 21mm straps. I just went with the pin/buckle as I prefer being able to easily loosen the watch when required.

It is lite and fun to wear.. But to be honest I still like it on the bracelet the best as you can do those microadjustments. It also feels more balanced to me on the bracelet. Its the only watch I seem to be wearing these days so I like to change things up with the straps.

If you are considering the strap option then check out the bas and lokes site. They are a bit pricey but produce a great and supremely comfortable strap. I think mine is the Dakota blue strap. I am thinking about getting anorther from them.. Just not too sure if I go brown or try something a little different like a olive green.. Decisions decisions....

It's not too hard to change yourself with the spring bar tool. But be careful and perhaps tape the exposed metal around where you need to place the spring bar tool. Your AD might also be able to teach you. Also YouTube is a good source of info.

#641 ·
Joining the Ti crowd.
Parts number:
Barenia Tan Calf: CUZ003765
Ti Deployant: 94521839
The entire watch is lightweight; and it is the only watch I wear these days.

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

#642 ·
Hey guys! Love your pics, I think this is the best diving watch that is currently on the market. I am considering buying it in SS version on bracelet but i have few questions before I go to the boutique again this week to try it on.

Does any of you have 6.75 wrist and could post his pictures? I've heard that because of straight lugs it doesn't fit nicely on small wrists but during my first time trying it I thought i fitted similarly to SMP (I've owned SMP for last 8 years and it fitted perfectly, however PO is to thick for me).

Also my budget doesn't allow me to buy watch for this money from AD and I am considering buying one from jomashop(they have the best price), I've read ambiguous opinions about them and generally grey market dealers. From what I understand I shouldn't be worried about authenticity but rather the repairing the watch if something goes wrong? Any of you guys bought their watch from grey market or second hands and have some experience?

My last question is regarding the bracelet. Personally I am not a big fan of polished centre links (too "bling" for me and I rather stay under the radar) and If I will buy the watch I will definitely get them brushed. Would any of you recommend a trusted jeweller to do that in NYC area?

#644 ·
Hey guys! Love your pics, I think this is the best diving watch that is currently on the market. I am considering buying it in SS version on bracelet but i have few questions before I go to the boutique again this week to try it on.

Does any of you have 6.75 wrist and could post his pictures? I've heard that because of straight lugs it doesn't fit nicely on small wrists but during my first time trying it I thought i fitted similarly to SMP (I've owned SMP for last 8 years and it fitted perfectly, however PO is to thick for me).

Also my budget doesn't allow me to buy watch for this money from AD and I am considering buying one from jomashop(they have the best price), I've read ambiguous opinions about them and generally grey market dealers. From what I understand I shouldn't be worried about authenticity but rather the repairing the watch if something goes wrong? Any of you guys bought their watch from grey market or second hands and have some experience?

My last question is regarding the bracelet. Personally I am not a big fan of polished centre links (too "bling" for me and I rather stay under the radar) and If I will buy the watch I will definitely get them brushed. Would any of you recommend a trusted jeweller to do that in NYC area?
I have 6.5 wrist....

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Wrist