WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Owner's Thread

1M views 5K replies 606 participants last post by  erichpryde 
#1 ·
The 300 MC ownership here (and on other forums) is growing and it's time we had a thread to share information, insights, reviews, photos, and accessory suggestions; i.e., straps, etc.

If you are blessed with a 300 MC, please make yourself at home, subscribe, and contribute to this thread. (Others are welcome to drool but try to keep your keyboards dry. :))

See less See more
#158 ·
To those of you that wear the Seamaster 300 as your daily wearer vs rotating different watches, do you wind the watch manually at all? With most automatics that I had in the past, if you wore it every day there was no need to manually wind it. What are owners doing with this watch? I just got mine back from the service center today and it seems to me to get an accurate read of its accuracy, there should be no need to wind it at all.

#160 ·
The issue was solely the lubrication near the co axial escapement. When they had initially tested the watch, the amplitude was low in a couple of positions and when they serviced it, they let me know it was the lubrication issue. The watch was not generating the power necessary which is why it had stopped.

#165 ·
I have only let mine unwind once since I purchased it in Feb. I went camping and felt the watch was too new to take with me and instead took my swatch system 51. I then did give the crown a couple of turns to get the watch going again and strapped it back on and let the rotor just slowing re-wind it. I am not sure if this is the best way as I have heard different views on this topic. But the point is that it is easy to manually wind if required. The rotor seems to be quite efficient so you don't seem to need to wind it too much.
Since that camping trip it has fully unwound gain but I don't think I have had it off my wrist for more than 48 hours. Also I usually sleep with it on.

#168 · (Edited)
Welcome to WUSOmega, Chris! Glad you brought the photos with you. That canvas Micah strap looks good. But then again, the 300 MC is kinda like the Speedy Pro - most any strap looks good.

Did you take those photos at work? Although I've driven by the entrance thousands of times, I have yet to pull in. I have seen the course from the back side on Corinth Church Road.

#175 ·
It's pretty. I have also grown used to the PCL on my GMT II BLNR and could not bring myself to brush them.

Reactions: Betterthere
#178 · (Edited)
Update on both the bracelet and the resistance I feel when winding it: they don't do bracelets in Switzerland. Will have to live with it, tried everything now. They even told me I'd lose the warranty on the watch if I had it polished (which is BS, if you ask me - if I send in the watch on a different strap they'd still service it).

As for the winding: she says it's nothing to worry about. They said they'd send it to Bienne if it bothers me, but as long as the watch keeps good time, it wouldn't be worth it. The Omega rep said there's quite a bit of variation when it comes to winding resistance. Mine's on the upper end of what's considered normal but still within specs.

Anyway, dropped off my SMP for a service - she said the wait will likely be up to 12 weeks!? Crap, I'll need another Chrono now to bridge the gap :)

Oh, and I did order the bond NATO!

#179 ·
To be honest I think you better off leaving the links polished for now. Give it a fair chance.
I certainly like the PLCs and even if I did not or was sceptical I would still leave them alone at least the first year or so on a new watch.
Good news about the winding.
I am still unsure about the whole screw down crown business but I quess Ill learn..

#181 ·
Oh man, this is going to be a very expensive thread for me...I will have to pick up a 300 MCA some day...but I'll wait to get one used....
by the way, I've been successful brushing my own bracelets myself using Scotchbrite brushes on an electric handpiece (similar to a Dremel)

#187 ·
Dont like the red with this watch. Looks great with just black n gray.

#189 ·
Does anybody know where I can get thin, high-quality NATO straps online? Once I have the Omega Bond, I'd like to have some more quick-change choices, but I don't want anything that's too thick so it doesn't raise the watch too much from the wrist. Plus Omega wants about 300$ for a NATO, so the Bond will remain my only OEM :)

#194 ·
I don't do NATO because I don't want to risk damaging the case back nor cover up the view of the gorgeous movement.

The Bond NATO looks good on the 300 MC so I began a search for a two-piece Bond strap. I found these on eBay:

I then purchased the Bond shown as my first strap for the 300 MC:

The strap is good quality, thin, cool, and of course, adds no thickness to the watch. For me, the only negative are the keepers which are the bane of all NATO straps.

#191 ·
I'm spoiled by the strap Tudor includes with the Heritage Chrono line. It's not really a NATO (it's still attached with spring bars) but it does wrap underneath the watch. It's so waver thin, it barely adds half a mm to the thickness of the watch. I understand it's woven from silk by some French company. One of those for the 300mc would be the ultimate strap for me. I wish there was some American or European company that can make really thin, high-quality after-market straps.

#200 ·
I was contemplating a Skyfall when the 300 MC caught my eye. I've owned some blue dialed watches but the Ti blue dial reminded me of the Bond blue of the SMPs. The SMP and 300 Ti blue was what I always thought of as "blah blue". It doesn't jump out like the Skyfall and electric blue.

So I ended up going SS because it was truer to the original. Plus, I've owned Ti and much prefer SS.

But it's your money.

#201 ·
I have to echo what John is saying here. I really love blue, and thought for sure I'd go with the Ti solely for the blue dial/bezel, but when seeing it side by side with my current SS 300MC, the blue didn't pop at all. It's so dark it darn near appeared to be the same watch. Yes, side by side there was a slight noticeable difference, but not blue enough for me. The weight savings of the Ti was nice though.