Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Owner's Thread - Page 57
Like Tree6446Likes

Thread: Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Owner's Thread

Page 57 of 334 FirstFirst ... 7 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 107 157 ... LastLast

Re: Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Owner's Thread

Hey josh. Sorry but I can't really answer all your questions. Have you seen the watch in flesh? This is one of those watches that u either love it or hate it. Purists thinks it a lousy re-make with faux patina. I personally think its a brilliant re-production. I'm a serial watch flipper and has flipped tons of watches including rare vintage pieces. None has tug my heart as much as the 300MC.

I personally think Omega watches are made to be worn with straps. They look amazing with straps. A watch is like a statement, a reflection of your style, your likes.

The bracelet scratches very very easily.

Take me your time to hunt for a decent used piece. If you keep thinking about it after seeing it in flesh. That's the one! Happy hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by joshuagull View Post
    Maybe you 300MC guys can help me out since I still can't get it off my mind, but have some concerns. I'd love some thoughtful input from the first-hand experience of owners (since I've only been able to see this piece under the lights of the Omega Boutique).

••• Concern #1: Dial & Bezel Finish •••
    The dial seems to come across extremely flat in finish. The bezel under the boutique lights comes across flat as well. This is a juxtaposition to the shiniest of the polished parts of the bracelet and case to my eyes. Others have mentioned how the bezel looks glossy though. More often than not, is the bezel a glossy black and the dial more of a vintage matte/flat black or grey under direct light or does it usually come across all black?

All Black?
    Attachment 4996737

Or black bezel and grey dial?
    Attachment 4996753

••• Concern #2: Light Play Across Dial •••
    I absolutely love how the Planet Ocean dial can light up when the light catches it just right (hands, indexes and applied logo) and it's a big draw for me to just stare at the watch and watch the light play across the dial. How does the light play across the dial of the 300MC?

I've tried to find photos. The best so far has been this one. The hands catch light well and it seems like the numerals do too, but the sunken indexes kind of disappear. Is this pretty true to how the watch looks from an angle as light plays across it?
    Attachment 4996569

And for comparison, this is what the 2201.50 can do and what keeps me checking the watch not for the time but for this light play across the dial. This alone is something I love on all the watches I own with polished metal on the hands/dial and I find the watches that lack this less visually interesting in day-to-day wear under different lighting conditions). This reason alone is why I'm considering the Black Bay alongside the 300MC. It's that big of a deal to me.
    Attachment 4996601

••• Concern #3: Scratched PCLs & Polished Lug Tops •••
    I work a blue collar job so the watch is going to see some use, and will likely get scratched. My PO has it's share of scratches on the twisted lugs and I feel like the polished flat tops of the straight lugs are going to be an even bigger scratch magnet along with the bracelet. Legitimate concern? Does anyone have photos of their 300MC with some wear?

••• Concern #4: Silver Ring Between Bezel & Crystal •••
    Obviously the bezel and sapphire are scratch resistant, but what about the silver ring between the two? Is that raw metal? Is that another area that's going to pick up scratches and if so is that something Omega would likely polish out on services?

••• Concern #5: Overall Look Under Natural Lighting Conditions •••
    This kind of ties into #2 above. I've only seen the watch under boutique lights. It does have a beautifully balanced aesthetic, proportionally speaking. How is it in day to day wear? I'm rarely dressed up. Some note it being dressy, others note it being easy to dress down. To me it seems like it could be dressy on the bracelet but it dresses down nicely on NATO or leather. I'd mainly be wanting to keep it on the bracelet however, and I'm a t-shirt and shorts or jeans kind of guy, and don't want it to be overly dressy. My Planet Ocean's only real bling is the dial details and they're subtle enough, where the rest of the package is pretty utilitarian/tool watch-ish which I like. I just worry about the 300 being too flashy.

••• Concern #6: Cost •••
    What's a fair price range to fall within for a used 300MC in good shape with box and papers right now? Seems like I've seen them for $4200-4800. Does that sound right?

Thanks a ton for any help. It's either keep the Planet Ocean and add a Black Bay, sell my Planet Ocean and get a 300MC, or I could sell my Nomos then stretch to get the 300MC and keep my Planet Ocean too. Decisions, decisions.
    Can't help you with all of that as I don't have mine anymore (but saving to get a new one). I for one hate the PCL, so I only had the bracelet on it for a few days. During that time I managed to get the clasp scratched up completely - the PCLs are much more scratch resistant than the clasp, if you ask me (or you just can't see the scratches as well on the PCLs). The case of the watch really doesn't scratch easily at all. I banged it against the edge of the car door once and was certain I had just messed up the watch completely - but couldn't see any scratching at all.

If you work in a rough environment, I suggest wearing it on a strap. There are various water proof options, like rubber straps, NATOs or water proof leather straps, such as the Hirsch Viscount.

As for looks: it looks dramatically better under natural light than it does in the boutique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Owner's Thread

thestrapguy, I have seen it in person but only under shop lights, which doesn't allow a fair assessment as every watch looks like crap under shop lights IMO. From my most beloved watches to the cheapest watches, none really shine under boutique lighting. I need natural light to make a fair assessment but don't know anyone locally with one of these to see in person unfortunately.

To be fair, it's bracelet or bust for me on dive watches. I personally just enjoy the look more than anything else by a large margin, and I also enjoy the ease of popping the watch on and off. Obviously a strap with deployment would work too, but I really just like the ease and versatility of bracelets. They go with everything.
    Last edited by joshuagull; August 14th, 2015 at 18:57.
    Rolex Submariner 14060M // Rolex Datejust 16013 // Nomos Tangente 38 // Monta Skyquest GMT
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 // Omega Seamaster Professional 2531.80
    Hamilton Khaki Automatic 38 // Seiko SKX007J // G-Shock DW5600MS-1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thestrapguy, I have seen it in person but only under shop lights, which doesn't allow a fair assessment as every watch looks like crap under shop lights IMO. From my most beloved watches to the cheapest watches, none really shine under boutique lighting. I need natural light to make a fair assessment but don't know anyone locally with one of these to see in person unfortunately.

To be fair, it's bracelet or bust for me on dive watches. I personally just enjoy the look more than anything else by a large margin, and I also enjoy the ease of popping the watch on and off. Obviously a strap with deployment would work too, but I really just like the ease and versatility of bracelets. They go with everything.
    I have some pics in natural light. Just go back a few pages. Hope it helps.

Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Owner's Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thestrapguy View Post
    I have some pics in natural light. Just go back a few pages. Hope it helps.
    Honestly - if you're a bracelet guy and aren't sure about the PCLs, the 300mc probably isn't for you.
    I just can't find anything good about them - they make the watch look like a fashion accessory rather than a classic time piece, they scratch easily and don't really serve any purpose.

I love the 300mc because it looks damn good on pretty much any strap

The BB doesn't have this problem - the Tudor bracelets are absolutely excellent, if, perhaps, a bit heavy. But the red version just doesn't look right to me.
    Last edited by dawiz; August 15th, 2015 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by dawiz View Post
    Honestly - if you're a bracelet guy and aren't sure about the PCLs, the 300mc probably isn't for you.
    I just can't find anything good about them - they make the watch look like a fashion accessory rather than a classic time piece, they scratch easily and don't really serve any purpose.

I love the 300mc because it looks damn good on pretty much and strap :-

The BB doesn't have this problem - the Tudor bracelets are absolutely excellent, if, perhaps, a bit heavy. But the red version just doesn't look right to me.
    Yes ur right, Tudor bracelets are great! In fact, IMHO, the best.....cos it's made by......LOL

I honestly don't mind the PCLs from a visual standpoint. They're faithful to the original and tie in nicely with the polished topside of the lugs. It would look odd brushed unless the lugs were brushed too. I just worry about wear showing so badly. I can always ScotchBrite my Planet Ocean bracelet or clasp if I scratch it. Polishing is a lot more work.

What's fair used prices? I'm tempted to try to find one, give it a go for a few weeks, and worst case scenario flip it and get the Black Bay. Or if I love it I may want to flip the Planet Ocean for a Black Bay. I do love the red Black Bay on bracelet a ton. So much character. Or I could keep the Planet Ocean as a work and vacation watch and have the 300MC for away-from-work casual wear when I want a dive watch, and have the Speedy for when I want the Speedy.

Thinking about this more, I love the angular case of the 300MC. The case is what's drawing me in. The flatness of the case and bracelet compared to the overall roundness of my Planet Ocean (and Speedy, and Seiko 6309). All my watches are more rounded so I think that's why the angular look is so appealing.
    Rolex Submariner 14060M // Rolex Datejust 16013 // Nomos Tangente 38 // Monta Skyquest GMT
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 // Omega Seamaster Professional 2531.80
    Hamilton Khaki Automatic 38 // Seiko SKX007J // G-Shock DW5600MS-1

What's fair used prices?
    For mint condition, I'd probably pay up to 4500$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    joshuagull likes this.

I honestly don't mind the PCLs from a visual standpoint. They're faithful to the original and tie in nicely with the polished topside of the lugs. It would look odd brushed unless the lugs were brushed too. I just worry about wear showing so badly. I can always ScotchBrite my Planet Ocean bracelet or clasp if I scratch it. Polishing is a lot more work.

What's fair used prices? I'm tempted to try to find one, give it a go for a few weeks, and worst case scenario flip it and get the Black Bay. Or if I love it I may want to flip the Planet Ocean for a Black Bay. I do love the red Black Bay on bracelet a ton. So much character. Or I could keep the Planet Ocean as a work and vacation watch and have the 300MC for away-from-work casual wear when I want a dive watch, and have the Speedy for when I want the Speedy.

Thinking about this more, I love the angular case of the 300MC. The case is what's drawing me in. The flatness of the case and bracelet compared to the overall roundness of my Planet Ocean (and Speedy, and Seiko 6309). All my watches are more rounded so I think that's why the angular look is so appealing.
    My advice is buy it! Regarding the inside metal ring, It is not liquidmetal I have a tiny scratch in mine. I went to the boutique & they said it can be polished out! The bezel is super scratch & scuff proof! I wear this watch everyday, @ work which is suit & tie then when I come home it looks great with shorts, flip flops & t shirt- very versatile! I have purchased several straps leather, 2 piece nato, looks great on everything.. You can go back on this thread & see the variety of straps. I am hooked on the 2 piece nato currently - I'm saving the bracelet. A few small scratches on the clasp, but bracelet is fine. This is a watch you won't regret buying. It has a great story behind it & encompasses all the latest Omega technology as I'm sure you're aware. The dial is a sandblasted flat weathered look finish, & the bezel is a more polished finish. The dial is striking, & the bezel compliments nicely. The AD should let you see it in the natural light, mine did! I looked long & hard for a second hand SM300m $4500- $4800 range. I ended up purchasing new from AD, in the end I have piece of mind- best of luck on your journey, the "hunt" is fun too!!
    Last edited by Lealole; August 15th, 2015 at 08:04.

I concur on the dial. There are very few dials to my knowledge that are executed at this level of detail and quality. The watch is extremely robust--buy with confidence! Name:  IMG_2224.JPG
Views: 1075
Size:  890.4 KBName:  Omega_Titanium.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  680.8 KB
    Current Collection:
    TagHeuer Formula One; IWC Porsche Design Sportivo 02; IWC Porsche Design Ultra Sportivo; IWC Porsche Design Titan Chrono 3704; IWC Porsche Design Kompassuhr 3511; IWC Porsche Design Ocean 2000; IWC GST Alarm Ti 3537; Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control Memovox; Master Moon Pt; Jaeger LeCoultre Amvox1 Titanium; Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Ruthenium; Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Duo; Junghans Max Bill Automatic; Omega 300 SMC Ti; MIH watch; Louis Cartier Tank 100.

Page 57 of 334 FirstFirst ... 7 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 107 157 ... LastLast

Thread Information