WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial vs. Aqua Terra Master Co-Axial

17K views 51 replies 39 participants last post by  BigEmpty 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about getting my first Omega and I'm torn between the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial and the Aqua Terra Master Co-Axial. I'm looking for a good all around every day watch - something I can wear with a suit to the office as well as on weekends. I like the clean understated look of the AT, but the 300 is a little more distinctive looking without being too eye-catching. The 300 seems to look bigger even though the AT is 0.5 mm larger at 41.5 mm. I understand that the 8400 movement in the 300 is the same as the 8500 in the AT apart from the date function. What are the pros and cons of each? Which would make a better choice?

Pics:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#4 ·
+1

#13 ·
I was considering the Moonwatch or the 300, but ended up with a Submariner. The 300 is a fantastic watch, and technically very tough to beat. For my wrist, it is too thick, but it is a very solid watch, and of these two watches, the 300 would be my pick.

Attachments

Reactions: IBeNimages
#14 ·
I really like the movie 300 so.... my choice is obviously the 300! :p
Seriously, it's a fantastic watch, but I don't like the bracelet..... Imho, a leather strap or a mesh fits better with the vintage style of the watch.
Anyway, I never liked this type of bracelet, too shiny for me....

#15 ·
Yes, the bracelet on the 300 Master Co-Axial is way too polished and blingy, and does not match up very well to the vintage look of the watch.

#20 ·
the AT is more practical, but the 300 is more exciting and tugs and the heart more. life is short, go with the 300 :p

#24 ·
+1 for AT.

The 300 bracelet makes it too flashy IMO. Plus for daily use, a date feature would be handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that both the 300 and the AT share the same bracelet, no?

Perhaps it is the bracelet that is not that good, both watches are fantastic!

I was a little surprised that they did not offer a leather strap option on the 300. I was thinking of something like a JLC Memovox Tribute to Deep Sea's look (OMG, a terrific one also!!!!|>)

#23 ·
I think that the obvious thing is that these two watches are very different. The 300 Master Co-Axial, in my personal opinion, looks quite versatile BUT the bracelet looks so shiny and looks as though it should be dressed with a necklace and chain. The Aqua Terra looks more dressy, in my opinion.

#30 ·
I am wearing a PO, but tried both 300 and AT at the Omega boutique. It would be the AT for me very classy. That would be my next watch. I didn't like the fit of the bracelet on the 300 (the start links stick out), and I prefer to have the date on my watch, I check it all the time. I would miss it with the 300.

+1 for AT.

#31 ·
300 pros: Timing bezel, makes it easy to keep track of laundry and parking meters; No date, less hassle to reset after not wearing it for a while and letting it wind down.

300 cons: Timing bezel, which adds bulk and keeps it from dressing up nicely; No date, which can be a pain if you sign a lot of forms at the office.

AT pros: Clean bezel, which lets it easily go from casual to dressy; Date window, which helps remember what day it is when signing forms at the office.

AT cons: No timing bezel, which makes it harder to track laundry; Date, which you'd have to reset after not wearing it.

Hope that helps. ;-)

#32 ·
Joking aside, here's what I'd do for myself:

If I want to wear it a lot, I'd get the SMP, not the 300, specifically because it's got a date function (that, and I like the SMP's style, too). But, if it's an occasional/weekend watch, I'd get the 300.

I use the bezel on my current diver a lot, so it would take quite a nice watch to make me give up a bezel on another daily wearer. The AT is awfully close, though, and the blue dial could make me forget that it has a plain bezel.

#33 ·
Try both on and go with your heart on this one - they are both super versatile watches. I have the AT myself, but I have a Sub to fill the SM300 slot (and you should seriously try on a Sub by way of comparison - it's a good benchmark for divers).

The AT seems the more obvious choice if you work somewhere where you are expected to dress smartly, but don't let that determine things too much - dive watches with a suit are typical these days. I see Subs, SMPs and Tag divers as the three most common watches I see at work (which is a suit and tie kind of place and industry), save for the odd gold vintage watch on the older or particularly posh gent. Most people neither know nor care about the dressiness of a watch and will simply see a 'fancy Omega', if they pay any notice at all.

#34 · (Edited)
I had been on track to pick up my sixth Submariner, from a friend who rarely wore his and was thinking of getting something else (he lives in another country, so it would have involved an intermediary as "courier" in June ;-)). Sadly, he got cold feet and decided to hold onto his Sub, especially after not finding anything he liked more.

This thread got me thinking about the SM 300 as an alternative to yet another Sub. I wasn't happy about the 41mm diameter, but when I examined one at the Aventura OB last year I was impressed that it really didn't seem that big ... and probably compares favorably to the SubC's "maxi" case. So I very well might score one of these in the next few weeks.

As for the OP's plight, I echo what others have said: If you want practicality and beauty, the AT is an excellent choice. However, if you're smitten with the 300, then practicality really doesn't enter into it, and you will be unhappy with anything else. Get what your heart yearns. You will eventually, anyway.

Reactions: solesman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.