Seamaster Bezel Insert - How do I remove it? - Page 2
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Seamaster Bezel Insert - How do I remove it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Seamaster Bezel Insert - How do I remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
    Al is probably not referencing the Omega certified combination tool demonstrated in this video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...ure%3Dyoutu.be
    Hells teeth but that made me cringe.
    Buchmann69 likes this.
    Chris
    Ω
    Seamaster 3

Quote Originally Posted by Precise View Post
    Hi Al,

Thanks for the info. What does the tool for removing rotating bezels look like?

Thank you,

Alan
    Changing a PO bezel - the dies are urethane, so they do not mark the bezel or case:

Select the correct die, place over bezel, squeeze and turn...bezel pops off:

Clean around case, install and lubricate click spring tabs with Fomblin grease:

Snap new bezel in place with a quick push and turn, and you are done:

There are other types of rotating bezel removal tools out there, but the Omega tool shown works very well on Omegas and many other brands.

Some examples of what prying with a knife can do - here the surface that the bezel rides on has been damaged by the knife going too far in:

And of course when you pry, the back edge of the knife digs into the lugs:

The fixed bezel tool you showed above I also have, and this is for removing the bezels on a Datejust, or on a Sub it removes the fixed bezel underneath the rotating bezel. I have one that is a much better design - it uses round "blades" so that when they get dull, you simply loosen the screw and rotate them to a fresh spot - here removing the bezel on a Tudor Day/Date I think:

Line it up very carefully, and turn the handle slowly, and the bezel pops off and is caught by the mesh below:

A proper press is needed to put the fixed bezels back on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

Well, Al, you just ruined my dream of being able to swap bezels on my PO at home.
    Buchmann69 likes this.
    *Nick*
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor souls who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat " - Theodore Roosevelt

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you Archer. I think I'll machine some round Delrin wedges for my device. I'll post photos when I do.

Alan

PS Do you know of tooling for cleanly opening snap backs? Even pros marr these back with a pry knife.

OzO

Quote Originally Posted by OzO View Post
    Sure mate, you can pop it off with a case back knife or sharp blade.
    Look at all these fancy tool... Hack at it with a knife son
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

Thank you Archer. I think I'll machine some round Delrin wedges for my device. I'll post photos when I do.

Alan

PS Do you know of tooling for cleanly opening snap backs? Even pros marr these back with a pry knife.
    It's not the knife, it's the operator. ;)

Using a case back knife, most people's first instinct is to pry - you even call it a pry knife. Think if it as a wedge - you just slide it into the gap, and this will open the gap slightly. Then most people pry - don't - just work your way around the case back, pushing the knife into the gap, opening it all the way around. It will eventually pop off.

If you can't get into a very thin gap with the case knife, use a thin rigidly backed razor blade. Once you have opened the gap all the way around with the razor blade, then use the case knife and continue opening the gap more.

I have 2 blades I use for this - one thin and one thicker, then the case knife is thicker still. There is no need to pry anything - let the taper on the blade do the work.

Cheers, Al
    Buchmann69 likes this.

Banned

I recently bought a 41mm Seamaster with a polished steel bezel insert.

I prefer the look of brushed steel.

Where can I buy a brushed insert?
    I feel the same way. Love the watch, except for the blinding bezel insert. I was told that Omega doesn't offer the insert alone. I considered the ti ring and insert, but the ring would then look different than the case. The watchmaker at my local AD used some rouge, a polishing wheel and light pressure so wouldn't disturb the blue numerals and markers, and applied a satin finish to mine without removing the piece.

Name:  elec blu web.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  108.9 KB

Maybe you could ask Rob or Russ Caplan at forum sponsor Topper in Burlingame if they have a watchmaker who could do this for you.

Banned

There is a polyurethane bezel puller available, it runs about $30 +-, they work very well but each use takes a toll on it and after 5 or 10 uses you'll have a hard time with it.
    The first thing I did with my 2255 is take the bezel off and blast the insert with aluminum oxide to dull it down {don't worry about the blue paint it is hard to remove..
    Name:  11152588975_d41c9ace7b.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  207.9 KB
    After this I decided to try heat blueing the insert {it would work better with the shiny insert..
    Name:  11481236855_ef60e9874e.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  164.1 KB
    I hope to find a used polished insert to try the heat blue on, right now I just have a 2254 insert in it
    Name:  11818899646_e515b1fb0a.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  142.6 KB
    iinsic and Quartersawn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lexvil View Post
    The first thing I did with my 2255 is take the bezel off and blast the insert with aluminum oxide to dull it down {don't worry about the blue paint it is hard to remove..
    Name:  11152588975_d41c9ace7b.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  207.9 KB
    To the OP: Fair warning - Lex is one of the handiest guys on WUS. He fabricates parts for his watches that the rest of us only dream about. But he proves my earlier point that blasting is a good way to get the finish you want. But, if you're like most of us, sending it to IWW or MCWW would be a safer course. If you're as handy as Lex, however, we look forward to your displayed inventions in the future.
    lexvil likes this.
    Datejust 116233Datejust 16233Ω SMPc 212.30.36.20.01.002DOXA SUB1000T Project Aware 23/92 T035.410.11.051.00

Banned

It's not being "handy" Rob, I'm just dumb enough to dive into something if I think I can do it Probably stems from the olden days when we made a lot of our own dive equipment. My suggestion is to follow Robs advice and send it to someone, I only wanted to show the results that are possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by iinsic View Post
    To the OP: Fair warning - Lex is one of the handiest guys on WUS. He fabricates parts for his watches that the rest of us only dream about. But he proves my earlier point that blasting is a good way to get the finish you want. But, if you're like most of us, sending it to IWW or MCWW would be a safer course. If you're as handy as Lex, however, we look forward to your displayed inventions in the future.
    iinsic and Buchmann69 like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information