Seamaster Bezel Insert - How do I remove it? - Page 3
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Seamaster Bezel Insert - How do I remove it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Seamaster Bezel Insert - How do I remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Precise View Post
    Thank you Archer. I think I'll machine some round Delrin wedges for my device. I'll post photos when I do.

Alan

PS Do you know of tooling for cleanly opening snap backs? Even pros marr these back with a pry knife.

Watch Case Back Opener Knife with Vise Holder for Snap on Pry Style Watch Backes

Name:  59.165.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  35.8 KB

Precise likes this.
    "A hot or cold car can kill your children and is even worse for your watches."

This looks great. I just ordered one.

Alan
    stevenkelby likes this.

This looks great. I just ordered one.

Alan
    I use mine and like it but you still have to be careful. Practice on a cheap watch first.
    :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
    I use mine and like it but you still have to be careful. Practice on a cheap watch first.
    :)
    Thanks for this tip. Do you have any more do's or don't's?

Alan

OzO

What is that man doing to that cow???
    Triton9, iinsic, Brisman and 3 others like this.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

Thanks for this tip. Do you have any more do's or don't's?

Alan
    No worries :)

It didn't come with instructions and you'll figure it out by playing with it but here are a couple pointers.

Remove strap/bracelet. Unscrew red knob so there is plenty room to get the watch in place.

Most of my watches are big so I remove that red plastic insert (which is to protect the crown from pressure) and just rest the watch on the blue part.

Many watches have the little slot for opening the case back over a lug or somewhere stupid, not like in the pic above, which means a bit of playing to get it supported and lined up correctly.

The grey lever is on springs as you can see. When you press the device down onto the table top

I adjust the red knob so the opening lever is pressed into the opening slot quite hard, at an angle like in that picture. Then just press down on that grey lever (so it sits at a flat angle) then lift (so the grey part rises up on it's 2 legs) to open the case back.

You may have to hold the watch down, use your fingers to keep it pressed against the base or it will want to lift up as you tighten the knob.

It's a bit different for every watch so take it slow and you'll figure it out :)

Quote Originally Posted by OzO View Post
    What is that man doing to that cow???
    Ha! Photoshop waiting to happen :D
    OzO likes this.

Thank you Archer. I think I'll machine some round Delrin wedges for my device. I'll post photos when I do.
    While Al is correct, it is skill..........some "knives" make it easier than others.

Watch Snap Back Case Removal Tool Opener Knife Watch Case Opener Knife Case Tool | eBay

Works very well & is easy to keep from marring the case back.

I do like the Omega bezel tool...........$800 for $10 in actual cost Translation - we don't want you anywhere near our watches.

Interesting - I have seen this posted before. To me this sort of thing is overly complex when it does not need to be.

I'll be the first to admit I have some fancy tools, but they are bought out of necessity to do the job right, or alternately because a brand says "you must have this tool" in order for me to get parts from them. Fortunately these purposes often overlap, because I am not made of money, and these tools can be very expensive.

Here are the two blades I use most often for removing snap on case backs:

They are simple, cheap, and do the job very well when maintained - I would argue better than the clamping lever doodad posted above. The watch case is placed on a case cushion, held by my left hand, and the blade used with the right hand - I have never had issues opening a case this way, and I open a lot of them.

I use the simple tools above for the same reason I use these tools for removing pins from bracelets:

I want to use the tools that I believe give me the most control, and "feel" for what I'm doing. So where I see many people use a blue plastic thing that clamps the bracelet, and pushes the pin out by turning a screw, I would much rather use the tools above. I can feel how tight the pin is, if it's misaligned going in etc., when I tap the punch with small watchmakers hammer. Of course you get a very good feel for using a hammer by doing other more delicate tasks with it, like riveting a balance staff to a balance wheels, etc.

Personal preference, but usually the simpler the tool the better for me.

Cheers, Al
    lexvil, stevenkelby and ErikS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    .........I want to use the tools that I believe give me the most control, and "feel" for what I'm doing. So where I see many people use a blue plastic thing that clamps the bracelet, and pushes the pin out by turning a screw...............
    Well see now you're talking about the whole "talent" thing again Some of us need a bit more help, something like this -

Watch Bracelet Link Pin Removal Tool Watch Band Adjusting Remover Presser Device | eBay

I haved used those screw types you mention, they suck, any kind of sticky pin & you're hosed you'll snap the pin off. You need the "impact" to free it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I want to use the tools that I believe give me the most control, and "feel" for what I'm doing. So where I see many people use a blue plastic thing that clamps the bracelet, and pushes the pin out by turning a screw, I would much rather use the tools above. I can feel how tight the pin is, if it's misaligned going in etc., when I tap the punch with small watchmakers hammer. Of course you get a very good feel for using a hammer by doing other more delicate tasks with it, like riveting a balance staff to a balance wheels, etc.
    This really resonated with me. I have long used a Paylak to remove pins, and the watchmaker's hammer and punches to put them back in ... for the same reason that Al gave. But when it came time to adjust the bracelet on my new SMP, I decided to use hammer and punch (on a pin block) to remove the pins, too. Amazing! So much better to work with. I don't know why I used the screw-press for so many years, but at least I have seen the light.
    Datejust 116233Datejust 16233Ω SMPc 212.30.36.20.01.002DOXA SUB1000T Project Aware 23/92 T035.410.11.051.00

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information