Seamaster Bezel Insert - How do I remove it? - Page 4
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Seamaster Bezel Insert - How do I remove it?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Re: Seamaster Bezel Insert - How do I remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by iinsic View Post
    This really resonated with me. I have long used a Paylak to remove pins, and the watchmaker's hammer and punches to put them back in ... for the same reason that Al gave. But when it came time to adjust the bracelet on my new SMP, I decided to use hammer and punch (on a pin block) to remove the pins, too. Amazing! So much better to work with. I don't know why I used the screw-press for so many years, but at least I have seen the light.
    I've always used a spare pin to press out the pins and a small hammer to put them back. Never needed anything else to do the job.
    Chris
    Ω
    Seamaster 3

DIV

I'd like to get back on topic if we can...removing the bezel INSERT from the bezel ring.
    Omega doesn't sell the inserts separately, but aftermarket suppliers on eBay do, for like $24 on eBay.
    I bought one once for my 2254, but I passed on it and returned it for a refund. I never removed it from the packaging because the pearl dot was NOT luminous and that didn't sit well with my obsessive side.
    i never got to the point of removing my original insert from the outer bezel ring, but was thinking again about trying it to swap in a PO insert to go with the scalloped SMP bezel frame....but wanted to see other people's experience with this mod...

Quote Originally Posted by DIV View Post
    I'd like to get back on topic if we can...removing the bezel INSERT from the bezel ring.
    Omega doesn't sell the inserts separately, but aftermarket suppliers on eBay do, for like $24 on eBay.
    I bought one once for my 2254, but I passed on it and returned it for a refund. I never removed it from the packaging because the pearl dot was NOT luminous and that didn't sit well with my obsessive side.
    i never got to the point of removing my original insert from the outer bezel ring, but was thinking again about trying it to swap in a PO insert to go with the scalloped SMP bezel frame....but wanted to see other people's experience with this mod...
    As I stated in my first post above, the insert is friction fit into the bezel. You remove the bezel, pop the insert out with your fingers, and I use a press to press the insert back in place evenly.

Cheers, Al

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DIV View Post
    We can get back on topic but this is rather circular..........you'll find the same experience. Omega only sells complete bezels & the ebay bezels are rubbish. I have yet to see an ebay/replacement bezel that didn't look cheap.

Funny - bezels & pips that are off are one of they key factors used in checking for fakes = I ain't putting one on my watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Changing a PO bezel - the dies are urethane, so they do not mark the bezel or case:

Select the correct die, place over bezel, squeeze and turn...bezel pops off:

Clean around case, install and lubricate click spring tabs with Fomblin grease:

Snap new bezel in place with a quick push and turn, and you are done:

There are other types of rotating bezel removal tools out there, but the Omega tool shown works very well on Omegas and many other brands.

Some examples of what prying with a knife can do - here the surface that the bezel rides on has been damaged by the knife going too far in:

And of course when you pry, the back edge of the knife digs into the lugs:

The fixed bezel tool you showed above I also have, and this is for removing the bezels on a Datejust, or on a Sub it removes the fixed bezel underneath the rotating bezel. I have one that is a much better design - it uses round "blades" so that when they get dull, you simply loosen the screw and rotate them to a fresh spot - here removing the bezel on a Tudor Day/Date I think:

Line it up very carefully, and turn the handle slowly, and the bezel pops off and is caught by the mesh below:

A proper press is needed to put the fixed bezels back on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

Hi Al, would the same procedure apply to the removal of the fixed bezel of an Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33.00 ? My understanding is that it is also hold in place by pressure but wonder if it can be removed by itself with a tool similar to yours from the outside or if to remove it needs to be done from the inside by pressing it out along the sapphire crystal
    Francisco
    Ω 2535.80.00 / 3592.50.00 / 2231.50 / 168.022 / 2503.52
    ♛ 16610 / 18239

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information