Seamaster crystal haze?

Thread: Seamaster crystal haze?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seamaster crystal haze?

I've had this Seamaster for almost 18 years and from 12-2 at the edge of the crystal there is a haze that I can best guess is due to wear on desks/tables.

I've used toothpaste to get out scratches from cheap watch faces but any suggestions on how to clean this up?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Re: Seamaster crystal haze?

The crystal is sapphire and should not be getting any wear on it from desks. I don't know if that reference had AR coating on the outside of the crystal, but it could be the coating wearing off if that's the case.

If it's the AR coating I'm assuming that can't be fixed right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The only way to fix AR coating is to replace the crystal with a new one. If you don't care about the coating, I've heard that rubbing the crystal with some polywatch will take it off completely so it would at least look even again.

I had the same discoloration on my Planet Ocean 8500, after only 3 years of use. It was a blue-ish haze on the crystal. My watchmaker said my two options were: 1). Order a new crystal from Omega and replace it, or 2). Remove the crystal, polish off the AR coating on the top side, and replace the crystal.

I chose option 2 because it was cheaper and quicker. I still have the AR coating on the underside of the crystal to help reduce glare, and the watch looks great without the top coating.

I hope this helps.

I stopped by a reputable watch repair shop and they confirmed what everyone here said.

The watch is 18 years old and the haze is only visible to me so I don't think I'll do anything to fix it.

Might be a good excuse to get a new Omega.

Yes, I was going to guess AR coating as well. I thought that the AR coating on this watch is on the inside only. Can anyone confirm this? You'd think I would know better as I own the same watch! LOL. Anyway, you can just have the AR coating removed and that will "fix" the problem. Because the AR coating is (or may be) on the underside, the crystal will need to be removed, polished, then re-inserted. Shouldn't be a big job by any means.
    Omega 2531.80.00 Seamaster Professional 300m
    Seiko SKX013 Diver
    TAG Heuer WE1110 2000 Professional 200m
    TAG Heuer CAZ1110 Formula 1 Chronograph
    Timex Expedition Scout

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidSalmon00 View Post
    Yes, I was going to guess AR coating as well. I thought that the AR coating on this watch is on the inside only. Can anyone confirm this? You'd think I would know better as I own the same watch! LOL. Anyway, you can just have the AR coating removed and that will "fix" the problem. Because the AR coating is (or may be) on the underside, the crystal will need to be removed, polished, then re-inserted. Shouldn't be a big job by any means.
    I think but could be wrong it's at least on the outside but might have a coating on the inside as well.
    What's coming off on mine is the outside.

Pretty sure the AR coating on this watch is inside only.

Quote Originally Posted by mazman01 View Post
    Pretty sure the AR coating on this watch is inside only.
    If the AR coating is on the inside what would cause it to wear away?

If this is the correct then buffing off the AR coating would still be an expensive endeavor because of the labor involved.
    Now I'm curious if they take the crystal off to buff it or if they can just take out the internals and buff it with the crystal still in the case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information