Seamaster Diver 300 42mm: Blue or Black for daily wear?

Poll: Blue or Black Dial Seamaster?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Seamaster Diver 300 42mm: Blue or Black for daily wear?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Seamaster Diver 300 42mm: Blue or Black for daily wear?

Okay, so I know this is a fairly basic and common question, but I've honestly been bouncing back and forth between the blue and black model for months. I'll be looking to pick up a Seamaster Diver 300M as a daily wearer in the near future; if not quite a "one watch" collection, it will be my main watch, to compliment a Seiko HAQ beater and a Waltham pocket watch for formal occasions.

The blue definitely pops the most, and is the more eye-catching of the two. I've always thought of blue as my colour, and it would compliment the majority of my wardrobe. But black goes with anything, it's the more classic and versatile option, and the glossy black ceramic looks very attractive in person. I've tried both on at ADs and a nearby Omega boutique on a couple of occasions, and even brought my partner along for a second opinion, and she's as much on the fence between both models as I am.

So I turn to you, the ever-WISe Omega community, for your thoughts. Which colour should I pick? Here are some photos I've taken of both options on my wrist when trying them on at ADs:

Name:  20190624_133856.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  20190624_134031.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  20200106_124116.jpg
Size:  122.7 KB

Name:  20200106_124147.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  20200106_124356.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  196.9 KB

While I like the white dial version, for me it's between the blue and the black. The grey isn't even in the running; I find the dial contrast too poor. Your thoughts and comments would be most welcome :)

Update:

I ended up choosing Black:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/se...l#post50770533

And I now have the watch!
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/se...l#post50778143

Thank you to all who posted with your insights and experiences :D
    Last edited by Covenant; 5 Days Ago at 08:25.

Haf

Re: Seamaster Diver 300 42mm: Blue or Black for daily wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    While I like the white dial version, for me it's between the blue and the black. The grey isn't even in the running; I find the dial contrast too poor. Your thoughts and comments would be most welcome :)
    I had the exact issues 2 weeks ago and I went with the grey dial. With all the different watches on the table, I went to see them all a couple of times and in the end I went with the grey because of the unique look and blued indexes and hands. Before buying it I had just as you a concern about the legibility in different scenarios but I can assure you I haven't encountered any issues so far in real life situations apart from diving because it's winter time.

I'm sorry if I'm not helping you in any way. Also, on a side note: my first reaction was to go blue, but I consider that electric blue a bit too harsh and flashy. White is very nice as well but something about it didn't feel right. I solved the issue of black vs. grey thinking that I want to try something new and unique by going grey, otherwise I would have gone with the black version because at some point I used to own a 2254.50 and I loved it a lot on black.
    I think Omega have put out a lot of thought in this color scheme and choice of materials because the pure white lume helps in all situations, while the hands and indexes either appear electric blue on silvery dial or dark blue on dark grey backed up by the whiteness of the lume.

Name:  DVoCOs3.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  756.9 KB
    Name:  hyBrCAw.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  2.47 MB
    Name:  b0dfHvP.jpg
Size:  684.9 KB
    Covenant, v1triol, dosei and 2 others like this.

How does the blue react to light? Does it “pop” all the time or just under strong lighting/sunlight?

I ask because I wear a blue Pelagos most of the time, inside under dimmer lighting it could almost be mistaken for black. Outside, and particularly in sunlight, I’m occasionally stunned just how blue it is! I like the contrast and enjoy being startled occasionally, but if it was in permanent “pop” mode I wouldn’t love it as much, and it probably wouldn’t match my clothes very well (not that I pay much attention to that, ha).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have the exact same problem, and even after chosen the black, i'm still drooling over the blue. Black is more versatile and elegant. The black ceramic is sooo beautiful, sleek, and gorgeous. Blue is more fun and different, especially against so many black divers and rolexes. Also blue is like the color of seamaster. Both color like to play with lights, but blue has a bit more variety i think. I happen to like how the black changes with light better than blue.

Can't go wrong with both. Just make sure you check the watch thoroughly for every detail like bezel allignment, hands allignment, etc.
    Covenant likes this.
    Orient Star WZ0291DK JDM
    Omega Seamaster Professional Diver 300M 210.30.42.20.01.001
    Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" 311.30.42.30.01.006

Quote Originally Posted by doteki View Post
    How does the blue react to light? Does it “pop” all the time or just under strong lighting/sunlight?

I ask because I wear a blue Pelagos most of the time, inside under dimmer lighting it could almost be mistaken for black. Outside, and particularly in sunlight, I’m occasionally stunned just how blue it is! I like the contrast and enjoy being startled occasionally, but if it was in permanent “pop” mode I wouldn’t love it as much, and it probably wouldn’t match my clothes very well (not that I pay much attention to that, ha).
    It pops A LOT on outdoor. Very subtle on dimmed environment but still dark blue. The prior seamaster are more prone to be mistaken as black than the current one.
    doteki likes this.
    Orient Star WZ0291DK JDM
    Omega Seamaster Professional Diver 300M 210.30.42.20.01.001
    Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" 311.30.42.30.01.006

That white SMP is a stunner.

The red tip of the seconds hand and the red SEAMASTER writing just pop on that dial and really break up the black/white combination of dial / bezel.

When i saw these in person i just thought the blue / black were too flashy (understand show lights in the shop aren’t always best to show a watches attributes)....

I was classic blue for a longtime but after I tried this guy on I fell in love with the black ceramic; obviously it’s a bit of a different case than your situation but my thought is that the black version slightly edges out the all blue. Either way you can’t go wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Covenant, v1triol and usmc_k9_vet like this.

the blue is striking and really pops, I think I would pick the blue on this one
    Covenant likes this.
    Current line up:
    Rolex 116610 LV
    PAM00682
    IG dr3ws

When in doubt, go blue. Black is just too vanilla.. Lol

The blue is different. Striking depending on the way the light hits it. Most of the time it'll be subdued and can even look black. Don't be fooled by the unnatural lighting of the boutique lights.. Haha
    Covenant likes this.
    DW Classic St Mawes/Emporio Armani AR5860/Jorg Gray 6500 Commemorative Edition/Nautica NCS 600 N15016G/ΩOmega SMP/ΩOmega Seamaster Aqua Terra/ΩOmega Seamaster 300MC/Seiko Diver SKX007K/Seiko 5 SNKE51K1/Steinhart Ocean 39 Vintage GMT Premium/Steinhart Ocean One 39 Black Ceramic/Tissot Le Locle Automatic

Both?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information