Seamaster quartz stopped question

Thread: Seamaster quartz stopped question

Seamaster quartz stopped question

I have a OMEGA Seamaster Professional 300 ref. 2541.80.00 with a Cal.1438 which I haven't used for weeks, I've worn my Speedmaster most of the time and an Applewatch (i know :)).
    Last week i checked the time and adjusted the date and everything looked fine, no 4 sec jumps etc.(don't know the age of the battery).
    Today the watch had stopped, well it looked like the second juddered a little bit, but it didn't move.
    I assumed it was the battery and since I had a brand new one at hand I decided to change it.
    After I fitted the new battery it's been working fine.
    The strange thing is that the voltage on the old battery was fine, so I was wondering what could have caused it to stop?.
    Has anyone else experienced this?.

Re: Seamaster quartz stopped question

Could be a number of things - for example did you clean thoroughly all around the case back before removing it - if not then debris can easily enter the movement. The contacts could have been dirty and the battery wasn't able to put that voltage into the movement.

Note that although putting a new battery in may have solved this for now, the watch should at least occasionally get checked by someone who has all the proper testing equipment to determine if the movement needs attention. Checking base consumption, total consumption, EOL, LWL, resistance of coils, etc.

Cheers, Al

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Could be a number of things - for example did you clean thoroughly all around the case back before removing it - if not then debris can easily enter the movement. The contacts could have been dirty and the battery wasn't able to put that voltage into the movement.

Note that although putting a new battery in may have solved this for now, the watch should at least occasionally get checked by someone who has all the proper testing equipment to determine if the movement needs attention. Checking base consumption, total consumption, EOL, LWL, resistance of coils, etc.

Cheers, Al
    The previous time the watch was opened it was done by a watchmaker, who pressure tested it, so no debris was in the watch when it stopped, I was very carefull so no debris went in either :)..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's typically associated with a loose disconnection.

Often batteries in general will develop a microscopic layer of oxidation/corrosion that interferes with voltage output.

This is why spinning the batteries in your tv remote will give you another few weeks of operation.

In addition I’m sure that there’s a safety system that shuts everything down when minimum current is not available.

Quote Originally Posted by MacBain View Post
    The previous time the watch was opened it was done by a watchmaker, who pressure tested it, so no debris was in the watch when it stopped, I was very carefull so no debris went in either :)..
    I am pleased that you were careful, but just to put this into perspective, I'll show you an example of what can stop a watch. Note that this is a mechanical watch, and therefore the watch has much greater torque supplied by the mainspring than the small rotor in a quartz watch will produce, so it takes something substantially larger to stop a mechanical watch than it does a quartz watch...

This Omega SMP came into my shop stopped. Usually even if a watch has stopped working if you twist it in your hand the seconds hand will tick a few seconds before stopping again, but this one the hand would not budge. I opened it up and saw no obvious reason for the watch to be stopped - it was fully wound. I slid the watch under the microscope and after some searching saw this:

A small piece of white debris that had jammed between the escape wheel spoke and the main plate. Keep in mind that the escape wheel you see there is about 4 mm in diameter, so this debris is a fraction of a mm in size.

Here it is out of the watch:

And for scale here it is after I enclosed it in cello tape:

Again the debris that would be needed to stop a quartz watch would be much smaller than this - something you could not see without significant magnification. Even though you didn't see it, there could very well have been debris inside the movement that was dislodged when you changed the cell.

By the way the watch these pictures came from was also serviced by a watchmaker previous to it coming to me - as you can see that is certainly no guarantee that the work is done right. There were all kinds if things the previous watchmaker had done poorly - fibers found in the movement, crystal not installed correctly, etc.

Cheers, Al

Quote Originally Posted by MacBain View Post
    I have a OMEGA Seamaster Professional 300 ref. 2541.80.00 with a Cal.1438 which I haven't used for weeks, I've worn my Speedmaster most of the time and an Applewatch (i know :)).
    Last week i checked the time and adjusted the date and everything looked fine, no 4 sec jumps etc.(don't know the age of the battery).
    Today the watch had stopped, well it looked like the second juddered a little bit, but it didn't move.
    I assumed it was the battery and since I had a brand new one at hand I decided to change it.
    After I fitted the new battery it's been working fine.
    The strange thing is that the voltage on the old battery was fine, so I was wondering what could have caused it to stop?.
    Has anyone else experienced this?.
    what battery brand and size did you put? and also the old one?

I had the same problem as the OP after a moderate blow to the watch. Took the back off, and the battery had worked loose and backed out of its holder.