• 1 Post By omega1300
  • 1 Post By rjohnson56
  • 1 Post By thx67

Thread: Seamaster Servicing?

Seamaster Servicing?

Name:  20191005_101452.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  472.3 KB

I bought my Seamaster on ebay (guy got it as a present (came from Torneau) but wanted a big screen t.v. instead) about 13 years ago. It was the beginning of my real collection and to this day I love it. It has never failed to work properly but I'm not one to get into how many seconds it gains or loses in a day, all I know is it keeps good time. My question is, do I take it in for a servicing / clean & oil. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it and I'm actually a little scared to have it opened and messed with. I do have a good watch guy who's been servicing my watches for years, but I kinda feel like as long as it works well, then leave it alone, matter of fact, that was his recommendation to me. So, what do y'all think?

Re: Seamaster Servicing?

Yes I'd get it serviced after 13 years. And if you plan on keeping it a while and want be be assured it continues to be water proof, you might consider sending to Omega, where it will be overhauled and come with a warranty. A local watch maker will be cheaper and do a good job I'm sure, but might not have access to Omega parts if needed.
    Mr.Sawyer likes this.

Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
    Damasko DA44
    G-Shock GWM5610-1

duc

Definitely service it. Use someone who is Omega certified. It's too nice an heirloom to do anything else.
    Mr.Sawyer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Service it, doesnt mean it doesnt need it

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    Mr.Sawyer likes this.

At the very least, I’d probably change out the gaskets to ensure water resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mr.Sawyer likes this.
    my positive feedback - search "omega1300" in the feedback forum!

Quote Originally Posted by duc View Post
    Definitely service it. Use someone who is Omega certified. It's too nice an heirloom to do anything else.
    ^ this
    Mr.Sawyer likes this.

I would be worried about taking it in the sea if it hasn't been serviced for years but those things do go on and on. My partner only just recently had hers serviced after 12+ years and it was still accurate until the day it went it and she's a watch beater. Omega services aren't crazy money and they repinned the bracelet too so it came back feeling like a brand new watch. Love the electric blue
    Mr.Sawyer likes this.

En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.

I'd go with your watchmaker's recommendation,
    it's true not all parts needing service affect accuracy, and it's likely after all this time, something is being subjected to extra wear, even if you don't notice it,
    but opening a watch is something I avoid until it can't be helped.
    a postponed service will cost more, but not more than the 2 or 3 services you skipped in the meantime,
    and movements, especially one such as the one in yours, won't present a problem to service in your lifetime,
    but a case might, so, it's my Nº1 priority to preserve it.

just make sure you have it tested for waterproofness,
    that it can't be trusted to be by now.
    it can, and usually does, go from 300m to 0, and washing your hands or even moisture in the air,
    particularly if you subject it to decompression /compression situations like airplane travelling or going by car in high mountain areas, is enough.

many will disagree with my recommendations, which is only logical as there is no one answer,
    so, choose your priorities, understand the pros/cons, and stick with it

So, I decided and took it to the Omega Boutique on Michigan Ave and they have sent it to the Omega Service Center in Seattle. I'm told it will look new when it returns and I'm cool with that. I'm not gonna complain about the price of the service, although it's more than I've ever spent on a service, and when it's time to get my portugueser serviced I expect it will be even more. $1300 initial cost 13 years ago and this $550 service cost and I think I'm doing pretty good.

Thread Information