Service on a quartz watch?

Thread: Service on a quartz watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Service on a quartz watch?

I am thinking of buying a 2221 and was wondering how often service is recommended and approximate costs. I'm assuming just changing out the battery doesn't cost much but they probably recommend having the seals/gaskets redone etc. I don't go swimming at all and don't wear my watches in the shower so I'm not too worried about replacing my gaskets every time I change out my battery. But is there anything else they do to the internals on a full service? Or on a quartz, is a full service basically whenever I want to send it in to have all the scratches and everything buffed out?

I know it's about $485 now for service on a 2500 movement and what it entails and it's recommended every 5 years or so. I was looking for some similar info to that on a quartz watch.

Re: Service on a quartz watch?

I owned a SMP quartz as my daily wearer and main dive watch for several years. I always had a certified watchmaker replace the battery and never used Renata (aka "Leak Central"). He would check the gaskets for any deterioration and add a little grease. The watch performed perfectly down to 50m on countless dives. Now, of course, I have the watches pressure tested to ensure water resistance to the rated depth, but my watchmaker at the time did not have that capability (this was back in the '90s). Batteries need to be replaced more often than a mechanical watch needs to be serviced, so I wouldn't change the gaskets on a battery change unless there was a good reason.

The only reason for anything more elaborate with your quartz would be if it malfunctioned for some reason. But that's a different thing altogether.
    Datejust 116233Datejust 16233Ω SMPc 212.30.36.20.01.002DOXA SUB1000T Project Aware 23/92 T035.410.11.051.00

Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured but I just wanted to make sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega's quartz movements do have some jewels that require lubrication. While most likely not as frequent as a mechanical movement, it will need service at some point. Maybe someone with more knowledge (Archer) can chime in and set us straight.

About $160 here in Canada at Swatch. Battery replacement only, partial service is included which means checking the movement and pressure testing and replacement of crown as any seals if necessary.
    In my particular case the battery, checks, test, crown, and 3 new gasket replacements were included.
    Just had my Mom's SMP quartz done.
    Some say you are ok with a $20 battery replacement by a qualified watch maker. Most don't have the right size tool and hence will scratch up your caseback. I am a proponent of the Swatch route, as per above work this gave me peace of mind.

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by boywondergq1 View Post
    Some say you are ok with a $20 battery replacement by a qualified watch maker. Most don't have the right size tool and hence will scratch up your caseback. I am a proponent of the Swatch route, as per above work this gave me peace of mind.
    A qualified watchmaker will always have the proper tools or will decline the engagement for lack of same. A hack will take your money and scratch your caseback. There is a world of difference between the two.
    Datejust 116233Datejust 16233Ω SMPc 212.30.36.20.01.002DOXA SUB1000T Project Aware 23/92 T035.410.11.051.00

Way

I just purchased a SMP quartz so this is a great thread for me.

battery swap, IC check, Gasket change, dry and a wet pressure test.

20 dollar will get the battery swap at a mall but not the rest.

In Canada, check with Al "Archer". Solid, solid guy. My SMP keeps better time than the peace tower on parliament hill!

Quote Originally Posted by iam7head View Post
    battery swap, IC check, Gasket change, dry and a wet pressure test.

20 dollar will get the battery swap at a mall but not the rest.
    Can a/will a jeweler (authorized for Omega service, obviously) do this for a walk-in, or do you have to leave your quartz watch with them for a couple of days/weeks like when an automatic is serviced?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information